PDA

View Full Version : Do any regulars think

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 10:13 PM
that this post is now forgotten and the good things have returned?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18682

I do, Think we needed that UKm gay partner to kick us back into shape or something.

Thanks to all the people that held together through the lame time...

dacoyote
02-23-2006, 10:20 PM

winfred
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
**:D** (http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/drweirdmessage.wav)

Gayle
02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually I think we need adult supervision. I have expressed my opinion to Ed that we need real moderators (of the bimmerd00d variety) that can delete posts and threads and deal with the problems so we don't have to act like a bunch of vigilantes. (For those of you who don't know, all the rest of us who are named as moderators can only move threads. We don't have full moderator powers.) Ed is quite open to the idea of some real moderators. I have made my nominations to Ed.

winfred
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
**:)** (http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/clothespile.wav)

DanDombrowski
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Gayle,

Perhaps we can have some of the more mechanically enclined or experienced people marked as experts, such that their responses can be taken more seriously than the average clown. Not sure how you would do that in vbulletin, but its an idea I'm throwing out.

DanDombrowski
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Mabye a special avatar or something

Gayle
02-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Gayle,

Perhaps we can have some of the more mechanically enclined or experienced people marked as experts, such that their responses can be taken more seriously than the average clown. Not sure how you would do that in vbulletin, but its an idea I'm throwing out.

What I am talking about is someone to deal with the posts that cross the line in rudeness. What is happening now is one of the regulars puts offenders in their place. I have done it. Just saw Zeuk and BillB do it. I think our responses are just about as bad at the original offenders.

It is not a matter of mechanically experienced. It is a matter of someone having the authority to stop the posts that are really just designed to stir up conflict. There is no one in charge here and I think there needs to be. I can't remember the last time I saw Bimmerd00d post other than to say he was going to attend the e34 picnic. He has done a great job but just is not here much anymore. New people need to step up to the plate to take on the role. Ed needs to make a few people real moderators and not call the rest of us librarians "moderators" cause we are not.

Zeuk in Oz
02-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Do any regulars think...

Answer : As infrequently as possible ! :D

Seriously though, I think perhaps you might have jumped the gun Jeff, I don't see any vital signs - only a flatline IMHO.

Gayle said : "Actually I think we need adult supervision. I have expressed my opinion to Ed that we need real moderators (of the bimmerd00d variety) that can delete posts and threads and deal with the problems so we don't have to act like a bunch of vigilantes. (For those of you who don't know, all the rest of us who are named as moderators can only move threads. We don't have full moderator powers.) Ed is quite open to the idea of some real moderators. I have made my nominations to Ed."

I think this might be close to the mark, however I feel that a little bit more directness might do the same job - not vigilante tactics, just light hearted rudeness !

When a novice gets out of line, tell him or her so in no uncertain terms.

It has now got to the ridiculous situation where we have a (well meaning) novice running a thread about suspensions when he apparently hasn't even done the job once ! WTF ? (Not criticising, just making a point).

Surely this sort of post is best kept to after the job is done and some first hand experience has been obtained !

I have frequently said that this forum / board is a victim of its own success, but some controls might be necessary given recent events !

Zeuk in Oz
02-24-2006, 12:00 AM
What I am talking about is someone to deal with the posts that cross the line in rudeness. What is happening now is one of the regulars puts offenders in their place. I have done it. Just saw Zeuk and BillB do it. I think our responses are just about as bad at the original offenders.

It is not a matter of mechanically experienced. It is a matter of someone having the authority to stop the posts that are really just designed to stir up conflict. There is no one in charge here and I think there needs to be. I can't remember the last time I saw Bimmerd00d post other than to say he was going to attend the e34 picnic. He has done a great job but just is not here much anymore. New people need to step up to the plate to take on the role. Ed needs to make a few people real moderators and not call the rest of us librarians "moderators" cause we are not.

Gayle,

I think you and I both posted at the same time so I didn't see this post before I wrote mine.

I honestly don't think somebody putting an "offender" in their place is as bad as the original offence ! Surley the intention of the correction is to stabilise the board, not de-stabilise it !

If anybody posts something personally offensive they should suffer the appropriate consequence.

The question is who should hand out the punishment. Wingman, want an extra policing job ?

Over to greater minds than mine !

GJPinAU
02-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Actually I think we need adult supervision.
Ed is quite open to the idea of some real moderators. I have made my nominations to Ed.
I do it on the race track, I can do it here!

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 12:34 AM
:)

that this post is now forgotten and the good things have returned?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18682

I do, Think we needed that UKm gay partner to kick us back into shape or something.

Thanks to all the people that held together through the lame time...

wingman
02-24-2006, 12:54 AM
3 Things.
1. I missed the whole ukm thing.
2. When is the cut-off point for newbie? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months? Longer?
3. Is a 3 strikes rule relevant? 3 stupid or abusive threads or replies and it's ta ta?

winfred
02-24-2006, 12:57 AM
thinking's too much like work and i have enough of that allready :D

rob101
02-24-2006, 01:23 AM
3 Things.
1. I missed the whole ukm thing.
2. When is the cut-off point for newbie? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months? Longer?
3. Is a 3 strikes rule relevant? 3 stupid or abusive threads or replies and it's ta ta?
I agree with you about the cut off point
I think it is enough to have more moderators with delete and lock privilidges, and leave it up to the moderators judgement, I don't know if its necessary to have more firm rules just a few more mods. there will always be the random guy who wants to be an idiot, you just need faster ways of dealing with them.

HDhandyman
02-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Do any regulars think...

Answer : As infrequently as possible ! :D

Seriously though, I think perhaps you might have jumped the gun Jeff, I don't see any vital signs - only a flatline IMHO.

Gayle said : "Actually I think we need adult supervision. I have expressed my opinion to Ed that we need real moderators (of the bimmerd00d variety) that can delete posts and threads and deal with the problems so we don't have to act like a bunch of vigilantes. (For those of you who don't know, all the rest of us who are named as moderators can only move threads. We don't have full moderator powers.) Ed is quite open to the idea of some real moderators. I have made my nominations to Ed."

I think this might be close to the mark, however I feel that a little bit more directness might do the same job - not vigilante tactics, just light hearted rudeness !

When a novice gets out of line, tell him or her so in no uncertain terms.

It has now got to the ridiculous situation where we have a (well meaning) novice running a thread about suspensions when he apparently hasn't even done the job once ! WTF ? (Not criticising, just making a point).

Surely this sort of post is best kept to after the job is done and some first hand experience has been obtained !

I have frequently said that this forum / board is a victim of its own success, but some controls might be necessary given recent events !

Hoping not to piss anybody off by making this post or even inserting myself into the conversation, I'd like to say a couple of things. I've been doing that a lot lately, I know.

Zeuk, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to send you a more private and personal message the other day. I got several PMs, and became frustrated to the point of just forwarding some blanket statements. I'm hoping that this message will be personal in it's own way.

So, here's the deal. Gayle and I have been corresponding a lot lately about the moderator situation. I have strong feelings about it. I'm the first to lay the smack down on censorship and persecution, but I've also seen enough well working forums that use moderators, and they are definately the majority. It's not up to me to say if we should have them or not. It's not up to me to help elect moderators. In fact, nothing is up to me. I'm just a Noob, and I'm happy to go on calling myself that.

Still, one of the things that I got so upset with Gayle about was the appearance of how a Mod acts. Her response was roughly that while she respected my view about what a mod should be in principle, she was nothing but a Librarian, and wanted to be able to freak out on people from time to time the way that anybody on the street wants the right to call somebody out in the most effective when injustice occurs. My response was that while I understood her POV and frustration, new people who come to the site particulary in a V-Bulletin forum will expect Moderators to have Moderator rights like D00d. Once they realize that there are no real mods, dissaster strikes. I made several sugestions to her about the typical format for Mod/Admin relations in this type of environment. I also told her that while I respected her as a Librarian very much, I didn't think that a very good job was being done about the cataloging of information here on the forum. If a new guy goes to the new guy section, he/she finds ziltch/nothing/nada. I said to her, if all you guys have to do is serve as librarians, then why the hell isn't there a thread in the new guy section called "So you wanna get Billsteins and Lower your ride?". The archives exist and people are in charge of certain sections, but they suck to use. The advance search only applies if you know the exact phrase or words that you are looking for, and there is no true programming intellegence behind that application. I asked her, why don't you guys petition a V-Bulletin programmer to write the HTML correlation for an intelegent Advanced Search Function like the one used on Amazon.com. But, we layed all to rest , becuse in the end she and I are friends. (this is not an attack on you guys)

So, last week I decided I was gonna do two things, and I didn't tell Gayle. I decided that I was going to drop a non directional bomb, just to see if I could drop a bomb and get away with it, and I decided that I was gonna write that thread called "So you wanna get Billsteins and Lower your ride" (sort of). As far as the bomb goes, I'm sorry that I upset you guys. I really meant no one any personal harm or offense. The truth is that it was nothing more than a science experiment meant to stir things up and make a point..."without real mods, this place is volitile". Gayle, Zuek, Bill B., Bill R., and especially you JR, I'm sorry that I put you guys through this to make a point. In hindsight, it sucks that I had to make myself the enemy...and I hope I don't lose any friends. Still, I took a risk when I made that decision, so I'll have to live with the consequences.

Now, as far as the thread goes, I decided that I was gonna have to walk the walk. Zeuk, you're right, I'm not the person who should be writing it, but in the end I decided that there are already something like 8 gazillion threads, what's one more? I mean, I am doing this, right? And, I do have a camera don't I? I think I've got all the tools. And, there is certainly a panel of experts here who can help me. So, why not? I've labled the thread as "under construction", and my goal is the finished project. I guess as arrogant as it might be of me, I sort of envision petitioning someone to edit the thread after it's finished and put it in the new guy section. If you go back and look you can see that I've edited almost every post in there, if not all. Again, the idea is the finished product. You're right Zeuk, I am "running" that thread. I'm in there two hours a day policing that mug. Not to be an *******, just thinking---there's 8 gazillion threads here and regulars are as irregular as anyone else, why can't I have just one of my own? I mean I started it right? Nobody has to post there but me to keep it going, right? Yet even after all the BS about posting links, people are posting them, and after all the differences about upgrades, people are making choices based upon the POV they've heard, and after all the BS about what a shock and a strut is, people (including myself, and always including myself), are becoming more educated. Is it really so bad that the thread is under construction by a Noob?

I gotta tell you people, I love this forum. I've made friends here, gotten lots of good info, I enjoy the exchange, enjoy hearing about people's lives, etc.. Still, I told Galye a week or two ago that I was gonna tender my resignation if things didn't change. So, it's with a heavy heart that I'm ready to be that sacrificial lamb, but I'm ready. Ultimately, I'm not an expert, and I don't have what it takes, so the best thing I figure that I can give to the forum is a future...because I'm always looking to the future. In the mean time, I'm going all out. I'm working on a five star thread and making as many contributions as I can on my way out, if that's the way it's gonna be. I mean Bill R. has a thread about screen door designs right now, and I think that I'm probably it's soul contributor. I'm between contracts right now and things are tough at home, so I'm treating this place like a f**king job. I only wish that it was someone's job to take care of this place.

In the end, love ya guys and if I gotta look back, it won't be that bad if I'm looking at a strong contribution to the new guy section and a new awareness about the need for a different kind of contribution!

ryan roopnarine
02-24-2006, 02:31 AM
my name's Lenny Briscoe, NYPD. I'm the police, so i'll be doing the thinking around here, thankyouverymuch.

nothing has changed about that thing in the past week, jeff.

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
*whew*

OK, you have graduated and are no longer a NooB!

I think your suspension thread is great, I mean if you have done it before the questions you raised wouldnt be pertanent but as someone just starting to think of doing it theres a ton of info in ONE spot that addresses most concerns.

I'll be a "real" mod and axe the dumb **** right off a decent thread instead of just moving them off topic...the classifieds was a classic move tho...LMAO:D

Hoping not to piss anybody off by making this post or even inserting myself into the conversation, I'd like to say a couple of things. I've been doing that a lot lately, I know.

Zeuk, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to send you a more private and personal message the other day. I got several PMs, and became frustrated to the point of just forwarding some blanket statements. I'm hoping that this message will be personal in it's own way.

So, here's the deal. Gayle and I have been corresponding a lot lately about the moderator situation. I have strong feelings about it. I'm the first to lay the smack down on censorship and persecution, but I've also seen enough well working forums that use moderators, and they are definately the majority. It's not up to me to say if we should have them or not. It's not up to me to help elect moderators. In fact, nothing is up to me. I'm just a Noob, and I'm happy to go on calling myself that.

Still, one of the things that I got so upset with Gayle about was the appearance of how a Mod acts. Her response was roughly that while she respected my view about what a mod should be in principle, she was nothing but a Librarian, and wanted to be able to freak out on people from time to time the way that anybody on the street wants the right to call somebody out in the most effective when injustice occurs. My response was that while I understood her POV and frustration, new people who come to the site particulary in a V-Bulletin forum will expect Moderators to have Moderator rights like D00d. Once they realize that there are no real mods, dissaster strikes. I made several sugestions to her about the typical format for Mod/Admin relations in this type of environment. I also told her that while I respected her as a Librarian very much, I didn't think that a very good job was being done about the cataloging of information here on the forum. If a new guy goes to the new guy section, he/she finds ziltch/nothing/nada. I said to her, if all you guys have to do is serve as librarians, then why the hell isn't there a thread in the new guy section called "So you wanna get Billsteins and Lower your ride?". The archives exist and people are in charge of certain sections, but they suck to use. The advance search only applies if you know the exact phrase or words that you are looking for, and there is no true programming intellegence behind that application. I asked her, why don't you guys petition a V-Bulletin programmer to write the HTML correlation for an intelegent Advanced Search Function like the one used on Amazon.com. But, we layed all to rest , becuse in the end she and I are friends. (this is not an attack on you guys)

So, last week I decided I was gonna do two things, and I didn't tell Gayle. I decided that I was going to drop a non directional bomb, just to see if I could drop a bomb and get away with it, and I decided that I was gonna write that thread called "So you wanna get Billsteins and Lower your ride" (sort of). As far as the bomb goes, I'm sorry that I upset you guys. I really meant no one any personal harm or offense. The truth is that it was nothing more than a science experiment meant to stir things up and make a point..."without real mods, this place is volitile". Gayle, Zuek, Bill B., Bill R., and especially you JR, I'm sorry that I put you guys through this to make a point. In hindsight, it sucks that I had to make myself the enemy...and I hope I don't lose any friends. Still, I took a risk when I made that decision, so I'll have to live with the consequences.

Now, as far as the thread goes, I decided that I was gonna have to walk the walk. Zeuk, you're right, I'm not the person who should be writing it, but in the end I decided that there are already something like 8 gazillion threads, what's one more? I mean, I am doing this, right? And, I do have a camera don't I? I think I've got all the tools. And, there is certainly a panel of experts here who can help me. So, why not? I've labled the thread as "under construction", and my goal is the finished project. I guess as arrogant as it might be of me, I sort of envision petitioning someone to edit the thread after it's finished and put it in the new guy section. If you go back and look you can see that I've edited almost every post in there, if not all. Again, the idea is the finished product. You're right Zeuk, I am "running" that thread. I'm in there two hours a day policing that mug. Not to be an *******, just thinking---there's 8 gazillion threads here and regulars are as irregular as anyone else, why can't I have just one of my own? I mean I started it right? Nobody has to post there but me to keep it going, right? Yet even after all the BS about posting links, people are posting them, and after all the differences about upgrades, people are making choices based upon the POV they've heard, and after all the BS about what a shock and a strut is, people (including myself, and always including myself), are becoming more educated. Is it really so bad that the thread is under construction by a Noob?

I gotta tell you people, I love this forum. I've made friends here, gotten lots of good info, I enjoy the exchange, enjoy hearing about people's lives, etc.. Still, I told Galye a week or two ago that I was gonna tender my resignation if things didn't change. So, it's with a heavy heart that I'm ready to be that sacrificial lamb, but I'm ready. Ultimately, I'm not an expert, and I don't have what it takes, so the best thing I figure that I can give to the forum is a future...because I'm always looking to the future. In the mean time, I'm going all out. I'm working on a five star thread and making as many contributions as I can on my way out, if that's the way it's gonna be. I mean Bill R. has a thread about screen door designs right now, and I think that I'm probably it's soul contributor. I'm between contracts right now and things are tough at home, so I'm treating this place like a f**king job. I only wish that it was someone's job to take care of this place.

In the end, love ya guys and if I gotta look back, it won't be that bad if I'm looking at a strong contribution to the new guy section and a new awareness about the need for a different kind of contribution!

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:03 PM
*whew*
I'll be a "real" mod and axe the dumb **** right off a decent thread instead of just moving them off topic...the classifieds was a classic move tho...LMAO:D

Jeff for Mod....

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Actually I think we need adult supervision. I have expressed my opinion to Ed that we need real moderators (of the bimmerd00d variety) that can delete posts and threads and deal with the problems so we don't have to act like a bunch of vigilantes. (For those of you who don't know, all the rest of us who are named as moderators can only move threads. We don't have full moderator powers.) Ed is quite open to the idea of some real moderators. I have made my nominations to Ed.

I disagree.... There is no faster way to take the life out of the board then having a bunch of power tripping Mod's. I cannot name a single high volume poster that I would want to trust with full Mod powers... and that includes you Gayle. I wouldn't want them... because then all of a sudden it becomes more of a job then someplace to go and waste time at work posting. Over the years I have been the mod on many forums, and even for quite a few years an IRC Server Op (was a room Op to for many years). No matter what was done by the mod's it always pissed someone off. Feeling where hurt.. and people would start to leave.

Don't take away the reason why a lot of the pw's are here just because something someone posted pissed someone off.....

Scott H
02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
for a couple of reasons

1) If I want to say something, I don't want it to be edited or deleted

2) If someone says something really dumb, he or she will hear the feedback from the general membership. The fear of public persecution (public = this messageboard) is what makes you think twice before you post your nonsense. If you knew subconsciously that a moderator was always going to be there, you would probably post without thinking twice....knowing that your safety net is just around the corner to clean up your mess. I think this would facilitate an increase in ******** posting and personal chastising.

3) Let's not lose persepective....this is an internet messageboard where, for all intents and purposes, we've never met each other and have no significant personal relationship with each other. It's nice to have respect for each other, but hell I have a LOT of respect for my dad, and I still tell him to F off once in a while :D

BTW, I'd like to note that I used the word ********, facilitate, and chastisizing in the same sentence.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:39 PM
BTW, I'd like to note that I used the word ********, facilitate, and chastisizing in the same sentence.

Amen......

btw.... lets see you do...

********... faciltate... masticate... together.... all in the same sentence :-)

Scott H
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Dacoyote suggests drinking some Kaopectate to facilitate masticating on his ******** posts.....

Amen......

btw.... lets see you do...

********... faciltate... masticate... together.... all in the same sentence :-)

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Dacoyote suggests drinking some Kaopectate to facilitate masticating on his ******** posts.....

Paper is good for you.. adds fiber....

thats about the funniest thing I had seen all week Scott... thanks.. you made my day... :-)

Scott H
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I gladly participate in your post count increasing festivities! :)

Paper is good for you.. adds fiber....

thats about the funniest thing I had seen all week Scott... thanks.. you made my day... :-)

DanDombrowski
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree with you about deleting the posts that stir up conflicts. I only skimmed the meaning of the original message and thought that Jeff was referring to people posting bad advice.

Relatively speaking, the community here is awesome. I'm a member of the eclipseforums.org, toyotanation.com, turbobricks.com (for my volvo), and a handful of others. Most of them are just worthless compared to this board, both in the quality of mechanical advice and the banter that goes back and forth on non-issues.

Relatively, nothing bothers me more than to see someone post advice to get an alignment to help with a vibration issue, as I often see on the other boards. It makes real advice worthless when the original poster, which obviously doesn't know what his problem is, has to sort through good and bad advice.

As for the posts just meant to cause trouble, I usually just avoid those. It may bother some people, and I'd be willing to help that, but it doesn't bother me.

Thats my take on it anyway. Hope that helps.

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
im not too sure about a laxative, masterbating and ******** in the same state let alone sentence.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
im not too sure about a laxative, masterbating and ******** in the same state let alone sentence.

masterbating != masticating....

I don't know what sorta sick sex games you play.... but leave me out

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I gladly participate in your post count increasing festivities! :)

Just trying to help you get there also Scott... that and see Jeff's post count goto zero when he hits 10000

Zeuk in Oz
02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
So, last week I decided I was gonna do two things......... I decided that I was going to drop a non directional bomb, just to see if I could drop a bomb and get away with it,...........The truth is that it was nothing more than a science experiment meant to stir things up and make a point..."without real mods, this place is volitile". Gayle, Zuek, Bill B., Bill R., and especially you JR, I'm sorry that I put you guys through this to make a point. In hindsight, it sucks that I had to make myself the enemy...and I hope I don't lose any friends. Still, I took a risk when I made that decision, so I'll have to live with the consequences.

May I suggest that in real life this attitude might get you arrested, or killed. An interesting perspective though that probably even makes sense to you ! ?????

So how are we supposed to know when you aren't just doing a "science experiment" ? How about tipping us the wink !

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I was here for the ol' UKM resignation (Classic kiss off, so funny)

Watch the Noob fights too (alomost as good as watching my sons argue over a PS2 game..."Is too....Is NOT!!!... ISSSS TOOOO!!!!"

Seen many OT thread and even participated in a few.

Hijacked more threads than then cars get jacked in Compton.

I gotta say it would be pretty boring if everybody did search, and didn't ask questions about oil, coolent and rough idle.

Love it

mikell
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Who said life's gotta be so grim and humorless? Let the games continue.

SharkmanBMW
02-25-2006, 02:52 AM

don't get it out of perspective... the 2 biggest issues recently have been ukm5 and cschollum... = same clown!!
one guy should not cause the group to change it's ways. Some mods can do more damage than good,

there really aren't that many problems here are there?!

632 Regal
02-25-2006, 03:21 AM
could be the same clown but UKM used GayOL as a service, as I know anything gayol is ****. I mean nothing personal but *why* and if money isnt an object then *why*

I cant even return customers email throug GaAOL...what a ****up it is but if thats what my customers use then I simply dint need them and the headache that comes along with it.

Yes I could be a good mod...before ingesting a lot of booze and at that point as now I wouldnt pass a move but depend on the non drinking team.

theres a lot of stuff that can go wayside for the forum and I do have limitations and realize them.

WTF an I even talking about???

don't get it out of perspective... the 2 biggest issues recently have been ukm5 and cschollum... = same clown!!
one guy should not cause the group to change it's ways. Some mods can do more damage than good,

there really aren't that many problems here are there?!

angrypancake
02-25-2006, 03:30 AM
beeeeeeeeeeeeeer :) wtf am IIIIIIIII talking about