PDA

View Full Version : DRL question, US spec 1993 525iT in Canada

aviatorb747
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone! Great website!
Just imported 1993 525iT from the states. Sorry for missing info in my profile, I'll update it this weekend. I need to install DRL relay. I have the relay, called the dealer and was told they rewire light switch for $ 250, they don't even install DRL relay.
???
Problem is nearest dealer is 500 miles away... Can anyone help? I know where LKM is, fuses are labeled, not relays.. All those relays look alike.
Thanks

Jack, Thompson MB 1993 525iT, 1990 300ZXTT

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I found this in my car behind the driver's kickpanel, covered by a rubber insulating sleeve. I suspect it is the DRL coding device since the headlights don't work if it is unplugged:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00476.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00474.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00473.jpg

If nothing else, I'd be interested to see one from a US car for comparison.

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
US cars don't have this just the drl circuit on the canadian cars... it looks like quite a few other things are different on the light circuit for the canadian car too..

I found this in my car behind the driver's kickpanel, covered by a rubber insulating sleeve. I suspect it is the DRL coding device since the headlights don't work if it is unplugged:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00476.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00474.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00473.jpg

If nothing else, I'd be interested to see one from a US car for comparison.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
US cars don't have this just the drl circuit on the canadian cars... it looks like quite a few other things are different on the light circuit for the canadian car too..

And I was just hoping there was a different module in the US cars. The module has alternate locations for diodes, fuelling my curiosity.

I'd like to disable the DRLs on my car and use a pair of aux lights or the fog lights instead. The way DRL was done on the E34 lights all of the instruments and other marker lights causing premature burn-out and extra load on the alternator. Makes the OBC display dimmer as well, pretty dumb - you sometimes can't see the display during daylight hours.

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
turn the dimmer up, thats what I have to do.
you sometimes can't see the display during daylight hours.

aviatorb747
02-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I was led to believe that I only had to swap high beams relay with a DRL relay. I have a DRL relay, but I am not sure how to go about it. I have no idea which relay is which in the fuse box, I am not sure whether DRL goes into an empty socket or replaces another relay. Winnipeg dealer can't help, they tell me to bring the car in for a switch rewire.
All I need is to wire the car so lights come on with the ignition key on. After the inspection I'll undo it. Any ideas? Thanks

aviatorb747
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Anthony: I'll take some pictures on saturday so we could see the differences

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 07:32 PM
the relay box. It incorporates numerous relays not just the high beam relay.

I was led to believe that I only had to swap high beams relay with a DRL relay. I have a DRL relay, but I am not sure how to go about it. I have no idea which relay is which in the fuse box, I am not sure whether DRL goes into an empty socket or replaces another relay. Winnipeg dealer can't help, they tell me to bring the car in for a switch rewire.
All I need is to wire the car so lights come on with the ignition key on. After the inspection I'll undo it. Any ideas? Thanks

dmenheere
02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
hi Jack,

Having brought my M5 in a couple of years ago I was also faced with converting it to DRL. I think if you use the BMW method you need an extra wiring harness and some relays.

I did the same thing with a 25 cent wiring clip behind the headlight switch in the dash. Pull the switch out and use a wire to cross figure out what wire you need to connect to power to run the low beams as soon as the key is turned ... I used it like this for a couple of months with no problems then removed it. The guys at Canadian Tire didn't seem to care one way or another whether it was done.

hth,

Dave Menheere

Javier
02-24-2006, 09:08 PM
with the key to Run (or start, not in Accy).

Pull out light switch (see picture) and locate Green/Blue wire and Yellow wire. If you connect them you will have headlights on (low beams) as long as you have key in run or start.

Green / Blue wire go straight to Fuse F2, and Yellow wire go to LKM pin 3 (signal to turn on Low beams) and to High beams lever to allow high beams if lever is operated (flash is always available).

Javier

aviatorb747
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Thank you all so much! I'll connect the wires first thing saturday morning and let you guys know how it went.

Bill R.
02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
they changed it any for your market...:)

with the key to Run (or start, not in Accy).

Pull out light switch (see picture) and locate Green/Blue wire and Yellow wire. If you connect them you will have headlights on (low beams) as long as you have key in run or start.

Green / Blue wire go straight to Fuse F2, and Yellow wire go to LKM pin 3 (signal to turn on Low beams) and to High beams lever to allow high beams if lever is operated (flash is always available).

Javier

Steven G
02-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Anthony,
I strongly agree with you that the DRL setup in E34's is bad. Setup in our E36 is much better - headlights are on and the rest is off. A few years back I looked at Bentley's electrical schematic and I think by disconnecting a certain diode it would probably disable the DRL. I never tried it out - couldn't tell the location of the diode from the schematics. If you ever get them successfully disabled, please let me know. Thanks.
Steven G. (your neighbour from Lethbridge)

And I was just hoping there was a different module in the US cars. The module has alternate locations for diodes, fuelling my curiosity.

I'd like to disable the DRLs on my car and use a pair of aux lights or the fog lights instead. The way DRL was done on the E34 lights all of the instruments and other marker lights causing premature burn-out and extra load on the alternator. Makes the OBC display dimmer as well, pretty dumb - you sometimes can't see the display during daylight hours.

aviatorb747
02-26-2006, 08:08 PM
I connected the wires in a headlight switch and voila!- lights are on! Thank you very much! Car being inspected as we speak, I hope they won't find too much stuff. I changed a battery, that took care of my alarm problem ( LED always flashing, now it only flashes when it should ) but I have to find a code for the radio...Once again thanks for the tips.