PDA

View Full Version : how to evaluate keeping 1990 525i - please help

notesguy
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
1990 525i with 243,000 miles

Main Problem:
- Auto-transmission died/fried/dead

Other "stuff":
- I mentioned louder than normal noise from engine and mechanic said the manifold gaskets are blown and there might be a hairline crack in the block but the engine runs fine
- interior headliner starting to come down in back
- leather on two interior door panels peeling back
- the paint on both bumpers is chipping and wearing off - it's very obvious
- 1.5 inches play in steering wheel - possible front end work?

Other side:
I love the car's look and feel! The rest of the car looks terrific and the paint is in great shape due to my loving care.

I found a used tranny with 70,000 miles for $300 + shipping, labor would be about $450.

I started looking at used cars - Lexus, BMW, Honda,... and, even for used cars, you loose $3500 - $5000 as soon you drive it off the lot. This makes me think....I could spend $3500 - $5000 and have the 525i back in good shape!

Is this just false hope is this realistic thinking and evaluation?

Thanks for any feedback!

JonE
02-23-2006, 01:52 PM
If it's good, the used tranny sounds like a nice deal.

calmloki
02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
With a 1990 525 don't you have the belt driven single cam 168HP engine? I have the same engine, but in a 2855# E30 rather than a 3560# 5 series, so my E30 is pushing 16.99#/HP vs. your 20.21#/HP. That would mean that your performance is similiar to my '93 525iT which is 19.86#/HP (actually mine is worse and closer to 22.35#/HP, because I carry weight all the time). I know I'm not happy with the performance of my station wagon - it's too station wagon like! Also, if you are running the earlier 168HP M20 engine, the cam belt needs regular attention, or you will be buying a replacement engine. Sounds like you have a body with a shite trans and engine - I'd suggest you bail out and put your $5000 into a new ride.
Tom Walrod (has sunk lotsa bucks in lost causes...)

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I would snag that transmission and then really check and see if there is some sort of engine crack, if so pick up another engine, should be plentiful.

The other issues you have are not unusual common problems and most can easily be fixed.

Make sure the trans is the correct year and stuff before getting it.

Lennyz525i
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm, given its state and mileage and it being not the most desirable E34 (M20 auto), I would sell it as a parts car or junk it. Depends on how much you care about this particular car, if you have another car you can depend on and if you have money to spend. Still, at the end of the day you can pick up a running 525i M20 auto for $2K or so.

winfred
02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
in 10 years of working on m20 motors i've yet to see a crack that did anything but leak water internally in the head, the head pipe flex joint or where the flange attaches to the pipe is the most common exhaust leak, steering could be a box adjustment and or some ball joints/bushings, they all need bumper paint, door panels and headliners by now nothing a rattle can and a parts car on a local wrecking yard couldn't fix. the car probably still has plenty life left in it it's up to you if it's worth fixing, a grand or so on it or a payment on something else

angrypancake
02-24-2006, 12:21 AM
if you're going to get a new car, then you're going to be paying X for that new car, which I'm assuming is going to be used? then you have to spend more money to get that car to be where you want it for your tastes, be it mods, or general maintenence. for the amount of money that's going to be spent you could definitely get that new trans and fix the headliner, touch up the paint, get some new door panels from Rigmaster....

Kalevera
02-24-2006, 12:36 AM
This is a question that only you can answer.

It boils down to whether you like the car. If you do, keep it. If it's time for a change, dump it. No reason to put another penny in it, as even good M20 automatic 525s go for little money (unless you're Gayle, and I think her's was a stick). Admittedly, the M20 E34 is the slowest of the slow; but different people have different priorities. You can find very good deals on other E34s, if that's what you're considering as an alternative -- and they'll only get cheaper in the coming few months as spring time new car fever hits current owners.

I decided to keep mine. It needs thousands in body work, much more expensive than a decent, lower mileage example. But it's Fritz we're talking about here, not just some other 535.

best, whit

wingman
02-24-2006, 01:03 AM
This is a question that only you can answer.

Admittedly, the M20 E34 is the slowest of the slow; but different people have different priorities.

best, whit
Yeah the M20 525 is no road burner but I like mine and it's plenty fast enough when you keep the revs to it (heaps faster than a 520i!!!). I know where you're at though. I was at the same stage with my E12. I could spend the money on the body, paint. engine but I would still have the same car at the end of the day. It came down to the fact that I wanted something different (E34). Do you want something new?

1995 525i
02-24-2006, 09:00 AM
1990 525i with 243,000 miles

Main Problem:
- Auto-transmission died/fried/dead

Other "stuff":
- I mentioned louder than normal noise from engine and mechanic said the manifold gaskets are blown and there might be a hairline crack in the block but the engine runs fine
- interior headliner starting to come down in back
- leather on two interior door panels peeling back
- the paint on both bumpers is chipping and wearing off - it's very obvious
- 1.5 inches play in steering wheel - possible front end work?

Other side:
I love the car's look and feel! The rest of the car looks terrific and the paint is in great shape due to my loving care.

I found a used tranny with 70,000 miles for $300 + shipping, labor would be about $450.

I started looking at used cars - Lexus, BMW, Honda,... and, even for used cars, you loose $3500 - $5000 as soon you drive it off the lot. This makes me think....I could spend $3500 - $5000 and have the 525i back in good shape!

Is this just false hope is this realistic thinking and evaluation?

Thanks for any feedback!

Before I'd put 3-5k into my car I'd look for a similiar one for around the same price I can buy. Then I'd offer to sell my car to a place that can part it out or I would part it out myself.

Check out this link on Ebaymotors....
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/BMW_5-Series_W0QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ9Q QsacatZ6008QQsbrsrtZdQQsocmdZListingItemList

Lots of e34s for good prices. There is a 1994 525 with 100k miles for $7900. A 1992 525 with 142k miles for $3500.

Good luck.