PDA

View Full Version : As if they arent keeping a sharp eye on you

Kobe Diesel
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
A friend sent me this link to a forum he visits.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64532

more is never enough.

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
saw this on the news last night, hope they dont bring them cameras her but im sure they will, just a matter of time.

ryan roopnarine
02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
some of the most innocuous pepole in the world (sober) the british, have already taken to immolating the things with molotov cocktails and the like. what do YOU think will happen here in the US?

im going to suggest what everybody on fark.com was thinking when this story came up a month or two ago.... (i'd never attribute such a comment to MY name....:D "

http://www.65grendel.com/graphics/762_65G_556_200x277.jpg

i realise there's no .30 of 06 in that picture. but that's irrelevant.

on a lighter note, i went to the local rural gun shop during my lunch hour for the purpose of finding a wedding present on someone's behalf. every single small concealable gun they had was sold out (was told that kel-tec was 65,000 guns behind on orders), and the few they had had $100 premiums. (no, this wasn't a pawn shop, it was a sizeable store.) something bad is going to happen, or there are a lot of angry people in the world.....
off to sleep in the library or such.

Jimbo
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
These things are already all over the UK, I think its only a matter of time before they become somewhat prevalent here. IMO their purpose is purely to make money, I think its pretty well known that speeding causes a very low proportion of accidents, things like drunk driving, inattentive driving, tailgating, cell phones, lack of lane disipline... are all much larger problems where safety is concerned.

And consider the fact that if we have more speed cameras that means there will be fewer traffic cops on the road to stop the real menaces to safe driving that I mentioned above.

And then there is the Big Brother factor, privacy issues...

The only "advantage" is more money out of the peoples' hands and into the hands of the government.

Evan
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
we elect them... they create policy... enjoy.

Booster
02-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, this crap was amazingly voted in here too just this month. I'll definatly be placing a piece of clear acrylic over both of my tags slightly tilted for glare once I see the camera positions.I could spray a coating of antiglare on the backside of it and it will distort the fonts. Maybe not enough if the camera quality is exellent ?
Or maybe a small Bimbe brand Pnuematic piston to tilt my tag face down as I pass near intersections. I'm not giving into this easily.( I know I should just get a life ,grow-up or become a sheep,but hell no !)
Vinny
:p

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-23-2006, 07:25 PM
The state set up a deal with vans with a camera system and operator inside.

They'd park on busy highway medians and shoot pictures of all the speeders.

People started buying these plastic plate covers that obsecure the numbers at slight angles, some would just filp off the operator, and finally the lawyers were released and tore the whole thing apart, because if the photo did not show/identify the driver ....well then who do we charge?

stx133
02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
cameras are commo place in Victoria Australia, on one highway with multiple sets they were ticketing 1000 prople per day. anythying over 4kph above the 100kph limit is instant fine (4%), amazing when the australian design regulations for car manufacture allow 10% tollerence on the speedo display. the gov't responce is "drive 5kph below the speed limit and know you are ok". that's great if the speedo is already 10% low and now we have mr&mrs gerry a trick in the fast lane doing 85 in a 100 zone. that won't cause accidents by people doing a safe and reasonable speed trying to avoid them and the stress that they cause to the people who are already stressed and driving agressivly....
but as long as the govt keeps raking in the money, average $150 per ticket (plus tax...), they are happy to have piss weak and generally misleading advertising campagnes to promote the need for the cash cameras.

BigKriss
02-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Good thread. Speed camera are all over Australia, for fixed cameras there is normally a sign telling you that one is ahead but not for mobile ones the police operate. As for capturing your face and the nimber plate, they don't worry. The fine goes to the registered owner. Anyway guys since we are on the topic anyone here running on of these? Only wingman would know if they work in Australia or not :)

http://www.specterguard.com/

I got the idea from here; http://www.gumball144.com/teknologie.html

Erwin8r
02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Good thread. Speed camera are all over Australia, for fixed cameras there is normally a sign telling you that one is ahead but not for mobile ones the police operate. As for capturing your face and the nimber plate, they don't worry. The fine goes to the registered owner. Anyway guys since we are on the topic anyone here running on of these? Only wingman would know if they work in Australia or not :)

http://www.specterguard.com/

I got the idea from here; http://www.gumball144.com/teknologie.html

Great post! Hey, anyone know if those camera lenses can withstand a .22 caliber pellet at about 750 fps? Hmmm.... what a bout a .22Short round at about 950 fps? Just academically speaking, of course....

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Till they are blinded

rob101
02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
cameras are commo place in Victoria Australia, on one highway with multiple sets they were ticketing 1000 prople per day. anythying over 4kph above the 100kph limit is instant fine (4%), amazing when the australian design regulations for car manufacture allow 10% tollerence on the speedo display. the gov't responce is "drive 5kph below the speed limit and know you are ok". that's great if the speedo is already 10% low and now we have mr&mrs gerry a trick in the fast lane doing 85 in a 100 zone. that won't cause accidents by people doing a safe and reasonable speed trying to avoid them and the stress that they cause to the people who are already stressed and driving agressivly....
but as long as the govt keeps raking in the money, average $150 per ticket (plus tax...), they are happy to have piss weak and generally misleading advertising campagnes to promote the need for the cash cameras.
since when has any australian state government considered limitations like error in speedos in their policy, speedos don't have errors, errors don't exist in my political world of absolutes;) .
So instead of reducing your speed differential by driving at the same speed as the traffic AND paying attention to the road, you have people who watch their speedo constantly. you know what, I am lucky i live in QLD, I accept that I will get booked for speeding, but i do not indulge in this sleepy "watching my speedo instead of the road" recipe for driving. I'd rather have a fine than be injured or dead. and this is because if i drive at an indicated 100 kph on the way home (on a motorway 100 zone), i must be doing 10-15 kph below the speed of traffic. Safe? No. This is because in my e34 as in my e28 if i did 110 indicated speed it was in reality a speed of 100 kph. BUT according to australian law my speedo is accurate enough to be ADR compliant. Solution? don't believe speedo, believe your eye and travel at the same speed as the traffic.

we_call_him_doher
02-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Going along with the whole "but who was driving at the time of the picture", I heard a story in the UK about an upset wife who caught her husband cheating on her. So she took his car and raced all around the speed cameras in town. After racking up thousands of pounds of tickets she retired for the night. Needless to say it created some legal issues, as the husband was quite surprised when he recieved all the tickets in the mail......

Toeks
02-24-2006, 04:47 PM
that you Yanks used to only have coppers with radar (something we don't have). I was having a little chuckle at the fact that everyone seems to be so upset about getting "speed cameras", as we have had them here in South Africa for years. Its probably one of the biggest money making schemes that the government has going at the mo. Last year alone in the province that I live in (Gauteng) the local government made a whopping R92 million, which translates to about $US15 million. It seems we and Oz have the same old story where they have these elaborate campaigns detailing how bad driving at speed is, trying to convince everyone that cameras and cops with cameras are the way ahead. Yet of all accidents on our roads speed attributes to less than 5%. Anyway, good luck fellows, your cruise control will be earning its keep from now on....