PDA

View Full Version : Sniff, sniff, with heavy heart I post...

billb
02-23-2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=137115#post137115

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-23-2006, 12:45 PM

If you're looking for 4 doors so there's better access for child seats, you may be surprised that it actually makes it harder. With a 2 door car you have a better angle into the rear seat once the kiddy seats are installed. My sister in law found this when her newish 2 door Grand Am was in the shop and they gave her a 4 door loaner. Up until that point she was moaning about getting a 4 door to improve access.

Of course, if you have other motivations...

My $0.02.

Erwin8r
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
If you're looking for 4 doors so there's better access for child seats, you may be surprised that it actually makes it harder. With a 2 door car you have a better angle into the rear seat once the kiddy seats are installed. My sister in law found this when her newish 2 door Grand Am was in the shop and they gave her a 4 door loaner. Up until that point she was moaning about getting a 4 door to improve access.

Of course, if you have other motivations...

My $0.02.
Anthony, Hmmm.... I've got 4 children of my own, so I consider myself a bit of an expert in this area... two-door bimmers suck when it comes to laoding children. I've had a 633 and a 635, and let me tell you, it was quite a relief when I finally got the L7 (then the E28 535is, then the E34....)! Wrenching the kids up, through, and back into the seat can be murder on the back... having to "get out of the car and lift the seat" when they have to exit and the passenger doesn't is also a royal pain... There is no denying that with kids, a coupe should be a second car at most... Now, I am hunting for a clean E24 (I miss that big six!!), but my 540/6 will be my "A" car... ;o)

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Congrats on the anticipation of another child Bill!!!

billb
02-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Anthony, Hmmm.... I've got 4 children of my own, so I consider myself a bit of an expert in this area... two-door bimmers suck when it comes to laoding children. I've had a 633 and a 635, and let me tell you, it was quite a relief when I finally got the L7 (then the E28 535is, then the E34....)! Wrenching the kids up, through, and back into the seat can be murder on the back... having to "get out of the car and lift the seat" when they have to exit and the passenger doesn't is also a royal pain... There is no denying that with kids, a coupe should be a second car at most... Now, I am hunting for a clean E24 (I miss that big six!!), but my 540/6 will be my "A" car... ;o)

Yep, gotta go with Erwin8r here. It is MURDER on the back. Kids don't need a lot of legroom, anyways. The ergonomic advantage is the kicker. Plus, the E36 will offer passenger side airbags.

Jjcarr
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I was going to say $5k sounded high but it looks like you've really kept up with the maintenance/upgrades. Should be worth it. Wish I was in the market for one right now, I miss my old 318is.

BASEBALL248
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Congrats on the child...sorry in advance of your impending loss of 2 doors.

Kobe Diesel
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Very clean, I would jump on it, but Im waiting for my mother-in-law to sell her 91 318is red. Lots of fun to drive!

Very very nice.

DaCan23
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Ah wish I could buy it, as I could use a fuel saver vs. my M60B30 & M30B34.... but I just told the live in GF while I was in the process of workin on the kitchen... that I wanna replace all my cabinets....

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM

Just passing on my SIL's experience. After having the 4 door GA for a couple of weeks her desire to buy 4 doors vanished.

Of course, it could have a lot to do with being a Pontiac and the fact it is a somewhat larger car...

Erwin8r
02-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Just passing on my SIL's experience. After having the 4 door GA for a couple of weeks her desire to buy 4 doors vanished.

Of course, it could have a lot to do with being a Pontiac and the fact it is a somewhat larger car...
That's probably it, 'cause anybody who's had to crawl into the rear of a coupe to "lock down" a baby in car seat will attest to the contortionist nature of it all... ;o)

Jr ///M5
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Bill, Lainey and Web,

First of all, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS is in order for all of you. A new member of the family is on it's way. You are blessed.

While it is certainly sad to see the 318iS drive off into the sunset, I'm glad you were able to enjoy one of BMW's best kept secrets for a while. I remember the day you were "thinking" about buying it.....;)

This is the part of life that some of us look forward to....now it's time to shop again for the car that will meet your needs and give back a little fun factor at the same time. It sounds like you're set on a E36? Hmmm, have you looked at the older 5's, as in a '88 535iS? With a little euro bumper work, and little, big headlights, I think they are one classic style that doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, and 4 doors! One major drawback could be the air-bag factor, if you are looking for that type of technology.

Reguardless, if you are looking for a certain model car, and you find one around the Central Illinois area that needs lookin' at, you be sure to call me and I'll be glad to help a brother out! Doe's this mean I'm gonna be an "Uncle"?

Congratulations Bill,

Jr

billb
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
See the link:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpost.php?p=137115&postcount=1