PDA

View Full Version : Broken ignition switch, or Mark's chip?

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 01:24 AM
1990 525 automatic:
Ignition switch turns just enough to release steering lock, but no further. Not even to position 1. Am I correct that this is some sort of mechanical interlock problem? What is involved? (I tried wiggling the key, the steering wheel, and the shifter in every conceivable combination)

Of course it doesn't look good to my wife that this happened on the very first outing after installing new EAT chip (45 miles away)(she had to come get me)(car is being towed back in). She wasn't convinced I needed a chip in the first place and now she thinks the poor car shut down because it must be feeling violated with a new chip inside!

Any and all confirmations that the new chip has nothing to do with the ignition switch will also be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

jplacson
03-17-2004, 05:57 AM
It does sound like a mechanical problem. Although I'm not sure if this helps but, on older MB automatics, they have something called a "neutral safety switch" which causes the EXACT same symptoms as yours. Basically what happens is that the shifter sensor thinks it's still in drive (even if the transmission isn't) and prevents the car from starting. The ignition locks out as well.

I don't know if 'matic Bimmers have this as well, but it might be worth a shot.

Another test, is to try to reinstall your old chip... maybe your mate is right!

MarkD
03-17-2004, 07:23 AM
1990 525 automatic:
Ignition switch turns just enough to release steering lock, but no further. Not even to position 1. Am I correct that this is some sort of mechanical interlock problem? What is involved? (I tried wiggling the key, the steering wheel, and the shifter in every conceivable combination)

Of course it doesn't look good to my wife that this happened on the very first outing after installing new EAT chip (45 miles away)(she had to come get me)(car is being towed back in). She wasn't convinced I needed a chip in the first place and now she thinks the poor car shut down because it must be feeling violated with a new chip inside!

Any and all confirmations that the new chip has nothing to do with the ignition switch will also be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Hi Ken,

sorry to hear about the problem with the ignition switch. This can not be caused by the chip, but the chip can cause tires to wear faster than usual. :D

How was it for those 45 miles?

Mark

winfred
03-17-2004, 09:46 AM
the steering lock/ignition switch is broken internally

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 11:22 AM
It never ceases to amaze me over the general level of stupidity of some people - the key doesnt turn properly.... - how could this possibly be related to an engine management chip upgrade.

other people asking wheres the fuse box...its a car - its hardly the Taj Mahal - take a look around...wheres the battery....lord its a miracle it doesnt need one...oh its there under the seat...

Black 535i
03-17-2004, 11:33 AM
What a dickhead? Do you know all about everything?

TheGeak
03-17-2004, 11:37 AM
All Hail the bimmer god!! Bow before the Unregistered Guest who knows more than EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!!!

*bows deeply before ending his sarcastic rant*

Warren N.CA
03-17-2004, 11:53 AM
And your wife should be ashamed of herself, and you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to her. I suggest you punish her by requiring her to do all future oil changes!

1990 525 automatic:

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 12:02 PM
You learn not by asking the answer but by looking for the answer....

MarkD
03-17-2004, 12:14 PM
his radiator to blow. I had just installed the chip in his 1993 or 94 E36, we went for a test drive and 10 minutes into the drive the top part of his rad where the hose connects blew. This was caused by the failure of the water pump. He needed a new pump and radiator, but in the minutes after the problem he kept asking if this was caused by the chip.

Mark

jplacson
03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Big words from someone who hides behind anonymity.

632 Regal
03-17-2004, 12:28 PM
It never ceases to amaze me over the general level of stupidity of some people - the key doesnt turn properly.... - how could this possibly be related to an engine management chip upgrade.

other people asking wheres the fuse box...its a car - its hardly the Taj Mahal - take a look around...wheres the battery....lord its a miracle it doesnt need one...oh its there under the seat...

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Y'all are getting way too serious. I know its pure chance and not the chip. She maybe doesn't know, but that's my responsibility and she will ultimately trust my judgement. Just my lame attempt at humor.

The basic question, maybe, is this a common problem? In the last twelve months I've spent many $$$ to avoid problems on the road, including Level II service, transmission service, motor mounts, most front end parts, struts, radiator, water pump, T'stat, hoses, belts, starter, etc. Who would have thought broken ignition switch?

I used to do my own mechanical work but now I pay to have the work done. I personally prefer to spend my non-office time renovating the house and playing with my seven year old son. I respect and admire those who do their own repairs.

Just as a reader, this board has been immensely helpful in understanding my car and knowing what can and will go wrong at 145,000 miles and linking to other sources of information. I usually understand what you guys are talking about (except maybe clutch plates in automatic transmissions (grin)).

I love driving the car and don't mind spending $$$. Especially to avoid trouble on the road. Yesterday's trip back on the tow truck was disappointing (especially since it just had another trip last month when the radiator blew). I really don't want it to get too comfortable being carried around (grin).

The coincidence is a bitch, but I know Mark's chip cannot possibly be the cause. As for the chip, you guys are right. It seems to have removed the "sluggish" feel to this car. As soon as the ignition switch is fixed I look forward to many more years of enjoyable driving. And hopefully, no more tow trucks! Thank you, frequent posters and generous sources of great knowledge. I would gladly reciprocate if you should have some complicated, late night, income tax questions.

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I had to listen to her. For 45 miles with a small child in back. At 10:00PM. After her driving through Atlanta traffic. But it wasn't too bad; she never once said "I told you so". And it would have been far worse if the switch had broken last week when she took the car 350 miles away to the beach. My sweet wife is such a softy that she thinks the poor old car should be gently used rather than subjected to a performance enhancing chip. She thinks it is objecting (grin).

Of course doing oil changes would not be punishment to her. She would do oil changes the same way I cook: "Honey, where's the car keys?" (OK, I admit, it's the same way I do oil changes....:-) (But, hey, I did the chip install myself.)

And your wife should be ashamed of herself, and you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to her. I suggest you punish her by requiring her to do all future oil changes!

BigD
03-17-2004, 03:39 PM
How can a water pump failure cause that? Those nozzles just break from age. Maybe your evil chip makes the water pump run at a harmonic frequency with the nozzle which makes it shatter, huh? :p

RE the initial problem, I also wonder if there is a neutral/park switch. I have a two friends with early 90's Integras and they both had the same failure where when the car was cold, and you put it in park, the park switch would get triggered (even the P on the dashboard wasn't lit up) and it would not release the key. I wonder if these autos have something similar.

his radiator to blow. I had just installed the chip in his 1993 or 94 E36, we went for a test drive and 10 minutes into the drive the top part of his rad where the hose connects blew. This was caused by the failure of the water pump. He needed a new pump and radiator, but in the minutes after the problem he kept asking if this was caused by the chip.

Mark

Warren N.CA
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Big words from someone who hides behind anonymity.

Warren N.CA
03-17-2004, 04:29 PM
required HER to install the chip. Then, if the car complained, it would have been HER fault.

I had to listen to her. For 45 miles with a small child in back. At 10:00PM. After her driving through Atlanta traffic. But it wasn't too bad; she never once said "I told you so". And it would have been far worse if the switch had broken last week when she took the car 350 miles away to the beach. My sweet wife is such a softy that she thinks the poor old car should be gently used rather than subjected to a performance enhancing chip. She thinks it is objecting (grin).

Of course doing oil changes would not be punishment to her. She would do oil changes the same way I cook: "Honey, where's the car keys?" (OK, I admit, it's the same way I do oil changes....:-) (But, hey, I did the chip install myself.)

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Man, I'm jealous. You can make your wife do anything? I thought I was lucky she pumps her own gas..

Warren N.CA
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
none exists. I think it may be one of the most common errors found in the thought processes of typical humanoid earthlings. You know you're dealing with a real "rocket scientist" when the person refuses to accept the possibility that although event A happended immediately before event B, event A did NOT NECESSARILY CAUSE event B.

Mark

632 Regal
03-17-2004, 05:48 PM
My ignition stuck a couple times not real bad, then one time way away from earth I just could not get the thing to turn...very frustrated. I sat there as I realized the battery on my cell was dead, and played with the steeringwheel, the shifter, hit the steering wheel, hit the shifter, removed the key and put it back in 3 times and all of a sudden it turned! I worried about that after for about 2 weeks. I havent had any symptoms since, no clue why it didnt cooperate that one time.

ScottyWM
03-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Same here Jeff. Hope we're not in for more.

winfred
03-17-2004, 09:24 PM
that would be the post 91 e34s, i disable all this crap on my cars, volvo has some annoying stuff too, a cable running from the shifter to the ignition to keep you from turning the key all of the way back to 0 and removing it without being in park, and a solonoid to keep you from shifting out of park/neutral without hitting the brake

RE the initial problem, I also wonder if there is a neutral/park switch. I have a two friends with early 90's Integras and they both had the same failure where when the car was cold, and you put it in park, the park switch would get triggered (even the P on the dashboard wasn't lit up) and it would not release the key. I wonder if these autos have something similar.

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Exactly how I responded for at least an hour, but it never turned. It had locked earlier that day at lunch time; but I removed key, turned it around, and it worked. Assumed one side was worn, but noooo. I guess I'll be posting my mechanic's resolution in a couple of days.

My ignition stuck a couple times not real bad, then one time way away from earth I just could not get the thing to turn...very frustrated. I sat there as I realized the battery on my cell was dead, and played with the steeringwheel, the shifter, hit the steering wheel, hit the shifter, removed the key and put it back in 3 times and all of a sudden it turned! I worried about that after for about 2 weeks. I havent had any symptoms since, no clue why it didnt cooperate that one time.

kjbcpa
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Winfred, can I bring both my BMW (1990) and my Yolvo (1994) to you? I won't admit how much I've spent on these two cars in the last 12 months, and on my F150 (1989). I'm beginning to question the cost effectiveness of running older cars and am about one tow job away from replacing most of the fleet with much newer models.

that would be the post 91 e34s, i disable all this crap on my cars, volvo has some annoying stuff too, a cable running from the shifter to the ignition to keep you from turning the key all of the way back to 0 and removing it without being in park, and a solonoid to keep you from shifting out of park/neutral without hitting the brake

winfred
03-17-2004, 10:36 PM
sure if you are handy to baton rouge, we are on florida st just inside denham springs by the amite river bridge, heres our useless crappy website http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/germanautorecyclers/ call and set up a appointment with brian 1-866-bmw-guys

Winfred, can I bring both my BMW (1990) and my Yolvo (1994) to you? I won't admit how much I've spent on these two cars in the last 12 months, and on my F150 (1989). I'm beginning to question the cost effectiveness of running older cars and am about one tow job away from replacing most of the fleet with much newer models.

Karl
03-17-2004, 11:43 PM
1990 525 automatic:
[snip]

No, the chip can't have anything to do with the ignition switch. But you did keep the original chip, right?... just in case... (I did)