PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Harness Belt in a E34

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Have any of you mounted a 4 point hardness in a E34? If so what did you uses as your anchors?

Thanks,
-bj

clhorton
02-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Harness in a 525? That would probably look kinda rough. Each to their own. You may possibly look at using the seat mounting bolts in the rear, if your kit is like the kind I have seen.

Have any of you mounted a 4 point hardness in a E34? If so what did you uses as your anchors?

Thanks,
-bj

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Harness in a 525? That would probably look kinda rough. Each to their own. You may possibly look at using the seat mounting bolts in the rear, if your kit is like the kind I have seen.

Well new seats are planned as well. That should help the look.

-bj

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 10:21 AM
first you start with installing a roll cage, then you weld a tab to the cross bar, then you can bolt the shoulder harness to that.

Alexlind123
02-23-2006, 10:21 AM
The new seats might have mounting points?

Scott H
02-23-2006, 10:27 AM
that has faded paint (which can probably be brought back greatly by a good detailer) would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?

To be honest, I'll probably do the cosmetic stuff first. Only because my wife hates going anywhere in the car because of the ugly fading paint.
-bj

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
kinda...
http://www.miata.net/garage/seat/

The new seats might have mounting points?
still need the cage.

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 10:30 AM
LMFAO!!!
that has faded paint (which can probably be brought back greatly by a good detailer) would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?

Rigmaster
02-23-2006, 11:15 AM
If you're doing it for looks, don't.

If you're doing it for a legitimate reason- like tracking the car- then you will want 5 or 6 point harnesses (NOT 4 point) and you will not want to install them without a rollbar.

The only other possible solution is one of those snap in harnesses (Scroth), but they are a compromise at best and dangerous at worst. I have ridden/instructed in a couple of cars equipped with them, and the lap belt always wants to ride up unless you keep the shoulder straps way too loose.

Anything else is asking for injury in the case of an accident.

Bret.

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
If you're doing it for looks, don't.

If you're doing it for a legitimate reason- like tracking the car- then you will want 5 or 6 point harnesses (NOT 4 point) and you will not want to install them without a rollbar.

The only other possible solution is one of those snap in harnesses (Scroth), but they are a compromise at best and dangerous at worst. I have ridden/instructed in a couple of cars equipped with them, and the lap belt always wants to ride up unless you keep the shoulder straps way too loose.

Anything else is asking for injury in the case of an accident.

Bret.

My motive is simple. I've scheduled 10 DEs for this season. I may not always want to put the wear and tear on the M Coupe, so I've been toying with the idea of tracking the 525i. I figure by the mid part of the season, I could have enough completed on the car (suspension, LSD, new wheels & tires) to competently track it. The stock seats simply won't do at the track. Thus I will install some racing seats. With racing seats, a harness just seems like a logical step.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on 4 vs 5 point harnesses. I've had a lot of people tell me that the seat position in BMWs is angled enough to safely use a harness with a crotch strap. A frontal crash could lead to serious injury.

-bj

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 02:50 PM
this is something I would want to avoid.

A frontal crash could lead to serious injury.

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
that has faded paint (which can probably be brought back greatly by a good detailer).... would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?

I wish the paint was a simply fix. On the top of the car 30% of the clear coat is gone. On the hood there is bare metal exposed. If you know of a simple way to fix this with out a repaint, I'm all ears.

...would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?

I guess I'm getting my priorities strait--tracking a car > happy marriage. :D

Seriously, I have changed my direction. Not only might I want to track the car, but my wife has expressed an interest in getting some track experience. She doesn't want to drive the M Coupe and she can't drive her M3 Convertible, so why not the 525i?

There not commonly tracked, but I don't see why it can't be a competent car for a few DEs. The 525i weighs in at 3300 lbs and some change. That only a couple hundred more pounds than a E36 325i. I know it won't accelerate like a race car, but that OK because it only a DE not a club race.

This also means that I'm probably going to dump most of the cosmetic stuff. I'll probably still have the car repainted, but I'm going to go for a much less expensive paint job, now.

-bj

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Me too. Especially in the area that would be impacting that 5th strap. My wife and I haven't had kids, yet, and I would like to keep my options open.

-bj

dacoyote
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM

amen to that.... your woman wouldn't like it either

Rigmaster
02-23-2006, 03:56 PM
My motive is simple. I've scheduled 10 DEs for this season. I may not always want to put the wear and tear on the M Coupe, so I've been toying with the idea of tracking the 525i. I figure by the mid part of the season, I could have enough completed on the car (suspension, LSD, new wheels & tires) to competently track it. The stock seats simply won't do at the track. Thus I will install some racing seats. With racing seats, a harness just seems like a logical step.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on 4 vs 5 point harnesses. I've had a lot of people tell me that the seat position in BMWs is angled enough to safely use a harness with a crotch strap. A frontal crash could lead to serious injury.

-bj

Well, your idea sounds like a reasonable one, for the most part. The part I have a slight problem with is that a race seat alone warrants a harness. I am one of those who believes that a harness has no place in a car without a rollbar or rollcage. But it's your ass, and if you make an informed decision- it's ultimately up to you.

Keep in mind that if you are a student, an instructor has the right to refuse to ride in your car if he/she feels it is not safe. I would have to think long and hard about riding in a car with harnesses and no rollbar/cage.

Trust me, in a wreck or rollover situation, the possibility of the 5th or 6th point of the harness hurting your family jewels will be the last thing on your mind.... Take my word for it, DON't use a 4 point harness, if you're going to use a harness, go for a 5 or 6 pt.

Also, while the E34 is a really good street car, I think you'll find it not nearly as competent or as fun on track as the Mcoupe.....

Bret.

Alexlind123
02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I wish the paint was a simply fix. On the top of the car 30% of the clear coat is gone. On the hood there is bare metal exposed. If you know of a simple way to fix this with out a repaint, I'm all ear

-bj

Get a carbon fiber hood!!

loftygoals
02-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Well, your idea sounds like a reasonable one, for the most part. The part I have a slight problem with is that a race seat alone warrants a harness. I am one of those who believes that a harness has no place in a car without a roll bar or roll cage. But it's your ass, and if you make an informed decision- it's ultimately up to you.

Keep in mind that if you are a student, an instructor has the right to refuse to ride in your car if he/she feels it is not safe. I would have to think long and hard about riding in a car with harnesses and no rollbar/cage.

Trust me, in a wreck or rollover situation, the possibility of the 5th or 6th point of the harness hurting your family jewels will be the last thing on your mind.... Take my word for it, DON't use a 4 point harness, if you're going to use a harness, go for a 5 or 6 pt.

Also, while the E34 is a really good street car, I think you'll find it not nearly as competent or as fun on track as the Mcoupe.....

Bret.

I certainly haven't made up my mind on the whole 4 point vs 5 point debate. In fact I have been reading a lot of information about "submarining" in a 4 point harness.

I wasn't even aware of the harness with out a rollbar debate until this thread. That's why I love the forums. I can ask a question and actually learn something.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

-bj

Chip
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, your idea sounds like a reasonable one, for the most part. The part I have a slight problem with is that a race seat alone warrants a harness. I am one of those who believes that a harness has no place in a car without a rollbar or rollcage. But it's your ass, and if you make an informed decision- it's ultimately up to you.

Bret.
You'll need the rollbar/cage for the 5 point harness. I have toyed with installing a 4 point that utilizes the backseat belts for the shoulder belts, but have not gone that direction. The e34's are more than competent on the track and can be setup nicely. I agree that they are not as fun as the e30 or the Mcoupes, but are great car to learn in.

OT- Bret- are you going to VIR next weekend?

loftygoals
02-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I should just sell the E34 and cut down on the miles on the M Couple by buying a SUV to trailer it to events.

Then if I'm still really into tracking next year, buy a track prep'd E30 or E36. I would hate to part with the E34, but what's a guy to do? It just seems to make the most financial sense.

-bj

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
what most people that track their cars do is move the seat back farther than normal (unless your a basketball star) tighten the belt so its not moving (lock it) and holding that you move the seat forward to hold you into the seat, might work very well with your aftermarket seats.

I saved this to see if anyone would point this out.

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I should just sell the E34 and cut down on the miles on the M Couple by buying a SUV to trailer it to events.

Then if I'm still really into tracking next year, buy a track prep'd E30 or E36. I would hate to part with the E34, but what's a guy to do? It just seems to make the most financial sense.

-bj