PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance – Newbie Question

billmcdaniel5
02-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Just sold my 2002 and bought a “modern” car – 1989 535im with 146,000 miles on the clock.

Just so I know where I stand maintenance wise, I’m going to change all the filters and fluids from the radiator to the differential. I also want to change out the plugs, cap and rotor. Looking through the Bentley manual I know that I need to reset the change oil light (the tool came with the car). What about the other items on my list, how does the OBC know that all that new stuff has been installed? Is a service light going to falsely come on down road, and how do I get all those service indicator lights to glow a reassuring shade or green?

Finally the manual says I should disconnect the battery to flush out the radiator….is this overkill or is there some hidden circuit out there with “lethal current”. Love the car so far but it’s a different beast to work on compared to my ol’ beloved ’02. (The Bentley's 535 wiring/electronic chapters are thicker than the entire Hanyes 2002 manual!)

632 Regal
02-23-2006, 01:39 AM
how does the OBC know that all that new stuff has been installed? Is a service light going to falsely come on down road, and how do I get all those service indicator lights to glow a reassuring shade or green?

The reset tool should reset that too, go to Brunos site for the jumper timing to reset that, I believe you jump the pin for 20 seconds and the oil change is 5 seconds? Im guessing here.

Finally the manual says I should disconnect the battery to flush out the radiator….is this overkill or is there some hidden circuit out there with “lethal current”.

It's not a bad idea to disconnect the battery cables, for one thing it will prevent a short between the starter/hot wires and the antifreeze and the extra bonus is you will reset the computer...you will see that term come up a lot here so now you will know what it means "reboot the computer".

Enjoy your "new" car!!