PDA

View Full Version : OT: All purolator oil filters at pepboys $2 plus $1 mail in rebate...

ryan roopnarine
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
i got all they had in m50 (2 filters) the other day, and went back today-- whilst they were restocking the shelves, and got the other two before they were even put out. they usually keep 2 m50 and 2 m30 purolator filters on the shelf, and replenish them biweekly. at any rate, the sale may be regional, so you must put your zip code into the pepboys store locator and check that area's circular to see if the store local to you is having the sale. the m50 units usually go for 7.40$, the m30 goes for $6.50, and the m60 3l and 4 l is about $10.60 (but you'd have to know about the plastic insert issue before you would want to buy a domestic oil filter for an m60). i have 4 so far, but the sale ends on the 25th, so i'm all tapped out, i guess. if i lived in a bigger city, i'd just buy a mahle for $6-$7, but stores in my town want at least $9 for one, so i just buy purolator instead.

why does this matter to you, if you don't normally use purolator in your e34? the coupon is for EVERY purolator oil filter, even the $15 oil filters that go on to things like the ford powerstroke diesel. $15>$2 or $1, great deal, obviously, if you drive such a vehicle.

just fyi...

dacoyote
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Nice... I am not sure they have any out there....

Last time I got filters I got them from BMA

Rigmaster
02-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, they usually limit it to something like "all filters with regular price of $4.99 or below- all others are $2 off"......

I know for sure that's how it was the last time the had this sale, cause I tried to get a filter for the Powerstroke.... :)

I did pickup a couple of Powerstroke filters at Autozone last summer when they were running their oil + filter package deal for like $12 for 5 QTS of oil and a filter (STP Filter and Exxon oil I think...). Sure, 5 QTS is not enough for the Powerstroke, and the oil isn't what I'd normally use, but for that price, it was too cheap to pass up.... I'll use the oil in something else for sure.

Bret.

ryan roopnarine
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
brett, i follow the pepboys oil filter coupons religiously BECAUSE of the exemption you mention...ie, if that were the case, i wouldn't be able to buy the m50 filter for $7.4x. they seem to run the $4.99 or less coupons for 4 or 5 weeks, then spring the "all prices" one in secret one week. in fact, this coupon wasn't even in the mail/paper circular this week, i only found it by looking at 32608 online circular. they even have an entry for it in the rebate book at the register, despite the fact that they aren't even advertising it in the paper circular.

here's a pic of the coupon that's running locally (internet only, though). anyone thinking about it, PLEASE don't go and try to use my local coupon if the stores in your area aren't running the special. i don't want to be responsible for anyone being banned from a store or such

http://pepboys.crossmediaservices.com/pepboys/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2314694&rapid=242631&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2095551515&ref=%2fpepboys%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepag eflash%26storeid%3d2314694%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapi d%3d242631%26prvid%3dpepboys-060219

88m53453
02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
be aware there is a difference bewteen Mahle and Purolator. Good quality Mahle only about 4.50 ,but at a buck for a filter....cheap for sure

DanDombrowski
02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tip Ryan! I gotta stock up on filters for the eclipse...and my dads honda....and moms Jeep....and my Volvo.....and my gfs Camry.....and her moms Maxima....man I'm a sucker for getting roped into these things.

Rigmaster
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the link Ryan- it looks like my local Pep Boys have the same deal- so I'm going to stop by there tomorrow to see what I can find. Just bought some OEM filters for the wife's 535i, but I'll pickup a couple for the 525iT if they have any, and maybe another for the F350.... :)

Bret.

ryan roopnarine
02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
be aware there is a difference bewteen Mahle and Purolator. Good quality Mahle only about 4.50 ,but at a buck for a filter....cheap for sure

purolator is the only one of the inexpensive domestic oil filters that i've found that haven't collapsed somewhat during use. the stp and fram have done this on me. search the forum for "stp oil filter" and you'll see the post i made on this, with a picture of the collapsed filter. i tear the domestics apart after oil changes all the time, i'm not worried. i occasionally tear the mahles apart, its just that the screen makes it too hard.

i used to buy my oil filters from bma with my parts, its just that 4 oil filters are only a 6 month supply (using conventional oil) for the amount i drive, so i stopped buying them mail order. bma is about parity to the german parts store in orlando after shipping, but i don't live in orlando, so i get whatever is handy to my locale. purolator seems to be my only option right here/now.

70383roadrunner
02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
i got all they had in m50 (2 filters) the other day, and went back today-- whilst they were restocking the shelves, and got the other two before they were even put out. they usually keep 2 m50 and 2 m30 purolator filters on the shelf, and replenish them biweekly. at any rate, the sale may be regional, so you must put your zip code into the pepboys store locator and check that area's circular to see if the store local to you is having the sale. the m50 units usually go for 7.40$, the m30 goes for $6.50, and the m60 3l and 4 l is about $10.60 (but you'd have to know about the plastic insert issue before you would want to buy a domestic oil filter for an m60). i have 4 so far, but the sale ends on the 25th, so i'm all tapped out, i guess. if i lived in a bigger city, i'd just buy a mahle for $6-$7, but stores in my town want at least $9 for one, so i just buy purolator instead.

why does this matter to you, if you don't normally use purolator in your e34? the coupon is for EVERY purolator oil filter, even the $15 oil filters that go on to things like the ford powerstroke diesel. $15>$2 or $1, great deal, obviously, if you drive such a vehicle.

just fyi...

Purolator are the worst filters to put on your car. Cut one open and you will see what I mean. I buy the Wicks or Nappa Gold which is a Wicks.

DaCan23
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
With my cars I only use stealer or Mahle or Mann filters....

With my GF's Sebring I was gonna get filters from a parts store... fram or whatever... and my Dad screamed "Dont you dare", and said only use Mopars from the stealer...

So if Pops says they aint good enough for the Chrysler... NWIH I'd use em on da bimmers..

Rigmaster
02-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, I got a couple of $8.99 filters for my '9 F350 w/powerstroke diesel engine today for $1.99 each. Now, get this....there were 2 different flyers last week from Pep Boys in the local paper, they both had coupons for any Purolator oil filter for $1.99, and then a mail in rebate, BUT one of them had a $1.00 rebate, like Ryan said- but the other coupon mentioned a $1.98 per filter rebate, which makes them 0,01 cents each, after rebate (not counting the time + 0.39 cent stamp you have to use to send the rebate in...).

Anyway- I looked at the BMW filters they had- for the M50 525i, the M30 535i and the M42 318is- all cartridge-type filters. They were priced from $5.99-6.99 each and I was not impressed with them. They were all made in India and just looked cheap. Maybe if I was in a real bind I would use one- but I would be worried about it.

FWIW, the Purolator filters I bought for my Ford truck are made by the same plant that makes the Motorcraft (OEM) filters, so I don't have a problem using them at all.

Bret.