PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and wood trim~

CharlesAFerg
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/884/img9815edit2large0le.jpg

First of all, what are the exact name of those wheels?

Also, I see that you can buy wood trim on E-bay, but how is it installeds stock, I'm afraid itwill be glued on and it will start peeling off or look crappy after a while. I also don't have those buttons next to my auto shifter (I have 89 525i)

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/4457/crw3829rt8sml6gy.jpg

Thanks to BIGKRIS, best reference pics availible :-P

-Charles

Jay 535i
02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
We call those wheels "basketweaves". I don't know the official name.

Almost all aftermarket wood kits suck totally. I'd be very careful. Many of them aren't wood at all. A quality kit costs well over $500. Be suspicious of anything cheaper.

I have an aftermarket wood kit in my car from the previous owner. After removing the disgusting center console piece, I decided to keep the other pieces.

Since the photo below was taken, I've swapped the wood shifter for a stock leather one. Everything looks pretty good now, IMHO.

Sorry for the photo quality.

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/10.jpg

CharlesAFerg
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Ah I see, interesting, so that basically completely replaces the panels correct? I see lots for the glove box and front sections but I figured they are just some piece of plastic that you glue on.

Also, I'm also looking for a whole new shifter cover, the whole center plastic thing (without the special bottons on the left of the shifter, my car doesn't have those) the little plastic...umm (cover?) that moves when you shift inside of the device so you can't see inside and lastly the main piece of plastic that holds that all together, it would be nice if it was wood(I think I've seen that in the more expensive wood kits)

Thanks, that picture helps

Oh, and I like your steering wheel, mine is a little different with more "spokes" or whatever lol

McWatters
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
how doesnt ur car have the E to m and S mode shifter buttons i thought all e34's did ???

cheers

J.McWatters

Kalevera
02-22-2006, 10:58 PM
how doesnt ur car have the E to m and S mode shifter buttons i thought all e34's did ???

cheers

J.McWatters
It's an M20 525, it has a kickdown cable between the engine and transmission. The trans isn't electrically controlled as on every other E34/in the US and any other country I can think of.

best, whit

Cactuar
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm selling those wheels, used. They came with my car when I bought it, as a second set. Having a hard time finding a buyer...

Jay 535i
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Ah I see, interesting, so that basically completely replaces the panels correct?

No, I think even the high-quality kits are stuck on with adhesive. Mine are, anyway, but my kit's not high-quality.

I see lots for the glove box and front sections but I figured they are just some piece of plastic that you glue on.

Probably. What's wrong with that? AFAIK even the factory wood kits are held on with adhesive. I don't know for sure, though.

Also, I'm also looking for a whole new shifter cover, the whole center plastic thing (without the special bottons on the left of the shifter, my car doesn't have those) the little plastic...umm (cover?) that moves when you shift inside of the device so you can't see inside and lastly the main piece of plastic that holds that all together, it would be nice if it was wood(I think I've seen that in the more expensive wood kits)

Let's call that the "shifter gate", and the big area around it the "shifter surround", for purposes of keeping ourselves straight :). I've never seen a shifter gate made entirely of wood, but the stock ones come up sometimes on ebay. Keep your eyes open there. Failing that, you could order a new one from BMA or the dealer. How expensive could it be? It's just a piece of plastic. The ones without the slider button, which you need, are harder to come by. Buying new might be your only option.

Part of the problem with any wood kit is that it doesn't photograph well. It's really hard to tell from a photo what it actually looks like. I think the photo I posted is pretty true-to-life, but I can't tell you where my kit came from.

Good luck.