PDA

View Full Version : Fill totally empty trans.

Hypr5
02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey guys,

If I have a totally empty trans and torque converter, whats the proper way to fill it completely?

I assume I can't just leave it running and pump fluid from the underside... lol

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tiger
02-22-2006, 07:30 AM
It is simple... fill tranny as usual until full... then you start up the engine for like 30 seconds... shut off... refill again... then start up again and check... if level is stable then start up engine and now shift to reverse, drive and back to park and check fluid level... add as necessary.

If you have dipstick tube, then you got it real easy.

mholbrook
02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
If you have the ZF 5-speed auto trans, I believe the fluid has to be at operating temp when you check and fill. Some had Lifetime Synthetic (whose lifetime) and some, 530's no 540's, use Dexron.

Hypr5
02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, I have a 4L30E.

I know its supposed to be at operating temp when you check and fill, but when its a totally empty trans, thats kind of hard to let the (non existant) fluid warm up.

Thanks for the tips, though. Running it for 30 sec or so with only 1 pan full won't hurt it at all??

Tiger
02-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Nope... won't hurt since you did not engage the gear... you are simply "priming" the system

Hypr5
02-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Nope... won't hurt since you did not engage the gear... you are simply "priming" the system

Ah, ok. I always thought the torque converter couldn't ever run dry.

Thanks for clearin that up :)