PDA

View Full Version : can e38 brakes go on an e34?

angrypancake
02-21-2006, 08:22 PM
title basically says it all. since I'm an ebay addict, I came across this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E38-OEM-Brembo-Calipers-mod-to-fit-E32-E34-E39_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33563QQitemZ8040062 793QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) auction. I've heard of it in random 'net browsings. figured I'd see what you guys think of it. For starters, it's coming from Malaysia... hmmmm. if in fact it can be fit to an e34, would the stopping power be like the 850csi 4pot caliper setup?

Kalevera
02-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I think that guy has his auction info a little confused. The E38 brake carriers have a wider bolting pattern, so they'd need custom carriers (which is what he says, right?)

It's easier to find a set of > mid '93 brembo 8 series 4 pots. Lots of people on the board have them. Mine are sitting in a box, else I might have some feedback :)

And then there's also the late E32 euro 4 pots, which I didn't know existed until a few weeks ago/a PM with Erich. They appear to have the same front caliper housings as the nurburgrings, and a four corner set went for ~ $300 on ebay.de recently.

That guy sells cool stuff, though. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the E34 rear power sunshade from him at the end of last year. Really hard to find, and I haven't had luck adapting the E32 units to the E34 parcel shelf...yet!

best, whit

shogun
02-21-2006, 09:04 PM
The Ebay seller is Kenneth Woo, who also sells the outer door handle gaskets. Trusted seller. Just ask him if any question.
I think he works for a BMW dealer in Malaysia, as all the packages I receive from him with the gaskets show are dealer sticker from Malaysia.
That is getting more and more popular that even dealers sell on Ebay, I noticed that from a BMW and Mini dealer in the U.K., which also sells on Ebay U.k at very competitive prices OEM equipment.
Not sure if that is correct, but I assume that dealers get different discounts on parts from BMW depending on turnover, so they try to sell more at lower margins thru other channels.

KB535i
02-22-2006, 12:40 AM
I think that guy has his auction info a little confused. The E38 brake carriers have a wider bolting pattern, so they'd need custom carriers (which is what he says, right?)

It's easier to find a set of > mid '93 brembo 8 series 4 pots. Lots of people on the board have them. Mine are sitting in a box, else I might have some feedback :)

And then there's also the late E32 euro 4 pots, which I didn't know existed until a few weeks ago/a PM with Erich. They appear to have the same front caliper housings as the nurburgrings, and a four corner set went for ~ $300 on ebay.de recently.

That guy sells cool stuff, though. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the E34 rear power sunshade from him at the end of last year. Really hard to find, and I haven't had luck adapting the E32 units to the E34 parcel shelf...yet!

best, whit
OT, sorry, but Ive got a pair of motorized rear headrests for the E34. They are cloth. (Thought you might be interested since you were looking into the rear power sunshade). PM me if you are.