PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on...

CharlesAFerg
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
The E38, particularly the sport package version...
Someone in the fam is considering buying one, boy would I be happy... :-D

angrypancake
02-21-2006, 01:09 PM
my dad is considering trading in his e39 528im for a 740 sport package. I'm all for it. we hit the dealer last week and did a test drive on a black on sand one, oh man, its badass. i already told him if he buys it i'm stealing the m-pars :). thoughts- ridiculously comfotable and roomy, back seat is huge, dual climate, etc etc, you cant go wrong. perhaps swapping in a 6 speed would be the next step! haha

Jay 535i
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
I think the E38 is awesome. If you need the space in the rear seats, you can't do better, and the sport pack with the M-parallels looks awesome.

If you don't need such big rear seats, you'd enjoy an E39 more, probably.

Kobe Diesel
02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
A lovely car, but the one problem is that is does not come with the manual gearbox option. I know that it doesnt suit the market demand, but it sure would have been nice.

I found on UUC website the 6-spd manual conversion for a 750i and obviously this guy has the resources to make this kind of project possible.

Jimbo
02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I absolutely love the look of the E38, especially with the sport package. I think they are the last of the classicaly styled BMW's, in that they have that great mix of sleekness with boxyness, like the E34 but a little more modern. Interior is really nice too.

I have driven a couple E38's, and while still sporty you could definitely feel the weight and size. As for quality and reliability I really don't know.

My dream car, by the way:

Alpina B12 6.0 E-Kat
http://www.thealpinaregister.com//includes/water.php?src=../images/b12/6.0%20e-kat/3/01.jpg

Incantation
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
i love em.. but i think a "sport" package would be kind of pointless since the car is slow and is not really nimble to begin with. the m-parallel rims look great though

Kalevera
02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
A lovely car, but the one problem is that is does not come with the manual gearbox option. I know that it doesnt suit the market demand, but it sure would have been nice.

I found on UUC website the 6-spd manual conversion for a 750i and obviously this guy has the resources to make this kind of project possible.
We did that conversion, and to my knowledge, we're the only shop in the world producing such cars. Got one in progress right now.

It's a $10,000 job -- 6 grand of which is in the transmission. And it looks and acts like it came that way from the factory. All of the (custom -- there never was a factory 740/750 6 speed) programming is done in house. Given that an E38 750 is in the 10 grand range these days, it's stupid not to go this route.

I wouldn't even waste time with a 740.

The M73 750 is rated ~ 326hp from the factory in these cars. *Just* by doing the manual conversion and UUC exhaust, you gain 60 RWHP over the factory figure (yes, there's actually a GAIN of horsepower by pitching the auto). So, right from the get go, it's got better numbers than an E39 M5. Typically, these cars also get the brake kit, suspension, and wheels.

E38s are great for what they are, but they have faults. Practically every new one that comes in with ~ 70k on the ODO needs rear lower ball joints. Then there's the host of V8 maintenance items. And the dash pixels (but if you're lucky, you can get the dealer to replace the module for free).

best, whit

Torque
02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I love the e38. One of my favorite BMWs ever.