PDA

View Full Version : 1995 525i (US) TRANS PROGRAM HELP!

Unregistered
03-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Long story short - I have checked all of the most common web pages for this issue (Bruno's is a big help but did not fix this particular issue) - but - I still get intermittant trans prog message on the display which started this Xmas. The transmission has always worked fine and still does even when the message is displayed.

So far, the following has been done (at Dealer):
(Transmission was rebuilt by dealer 20K miles ago)
1) Replaced the circuit board that controls the dash instruments (cluster) - no effect...
2) Temporarily swapped the check control module with known good - still no change
3) Swapped out the transmission control unit - no change
4) Pulled the pan off the tranny to inspect for internal wiring flaws/shorts - nothing
5) Ohmed out all the cables and put it on the CAN analyser - no issues found
6) Battery is good (and on charger) when testing (fails either way)
7) The transmission switches (A-M mode and position switch) have been cleaned and seem to be okay

This is where we are now stuck!!!! This is so frustrating - anybody have any suggestions?
(I did see the post about checking the 50A fuseable link which we will check)

Makes me want a Mazda again... Well maybe a 328 :)

Thanks,
Scott

Trevor
03-17-2004, 05:35 AM
Hi Guest.
So apart from the TRANS PROGRAM message, are there any other symptoms?

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Guest.
So apart from the TRANS PROGRAM message, are there any other symptoms?

No other symptoms - the transmission always works flawlessly. The Trans message is accompanied by the bell but the car works fine. (Trans does not go into limp mode!)

Thanks,
Scott

RayC.
03-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I have experienced a similar problem. I am planning to change the tranny speed sensor to see if it would make a difference.

Bill R.
03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transprogram.jpg
Long story short - I have checked all of the most common web pages for this issue (Bruno's is a big help but did not fix this particular issue) - but - I still get intermittant trans prog message on the display which started this Xmas. The transmission has always worked fine and still does even when the message is displayed.

So far, the following has been done (at Dealer):
(Transmission was rebuilt by dealer 20K miles ago)
1) Replaced the circuit board that controls the dash instruments (cluster) - no effect...
2) Temporarily swapped the check control module with known good - still no change
3) Swapped out the transmission control unit - no change
4) Pulled the pan off the tranny to inspect for internal wiring flaws/shorts - nothing
5) Ohmed out all the cables and put it on the CAN analyser - no issues found
6) Battery is good (and on charger) when testing (fails either way)
7) The transmission switches (A-M mode and position switch) have been cleaned and seem to be okay

This is where we are now stuck!!!! This is so frustrating - anybody have any suggestions?
(I did see the post about checking the 50A fuseable link which we will check)

Makes me want a Mazda again... Well maybe a 328 :)

Thanks,
Scott

G Feller
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Yup. I'm not afraid to say so.

mikey535im
03-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Ditto that! had questions,couldn't email or PM.
Mike

Brian C.
03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
:d

ScottyWM
03-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Bill, you scared us! You okay?

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 07:43 PM

I have not seen this before but will now - thanks much!
Scott

warton
03-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Nt

Scott C
03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Well it looks like the EPROM change mentioned in the service bulletin has been incorporated. We are now of the belief that the transmission is fine (not reporting faults), the transmission control unit is fine (we have tried a second one), the check control module (swapped out) and the dashboard circuit board (also swapped out) are fine. But the darn message still occurs!

Not sure what is left with this gremlin - any other thoughts would be appreciated and thanks much so far!

Scott C. (formerly unregistered :) )

driveallnight
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM

I just ordered this chip to hopefully fix my Trans Program message. Can anyone tell me where the TCM is located on a 93 525? Is this a simple swap or do I need to do some soldering too? Thanks in advance for your help.

JD525IA
05-01-2007, 11:42 AM
the tranny ECU will store faults until cleared by a special reader/tool.

I had the same issue, had the tranny rebuilt because it was very worn, but also had to have a special chip put in from BMW USA because of a similiar fault. But, I was told that the tranny computer stores codes.

They (techs) will typically clear the code, wait for a new one to trip, and use that to diagnose problems. Sometimes, it's just a sensor input that goes slightly out of range for a second.

You may want to try getting those codes cleared first.

JD

driveallnight
05-01-2007, 12:00 PM
My mechanic checked the ECU and saw the fault code 40. He mentioned the chip. Rather than pay for it to be installed by the mechanic, I would rather do it myself if it is fairly straightforward. I just need to find out where the trans control module is located.