PDA

View Full Version : E34 oil leak

RAZR
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?

Thanks

Scott H
02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
get under the car and look. check all the 10mm bolts. do not overtighten as torque spec is very low. try using blue loctite

I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?

Thanks

DanH
02-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Your oil pan gasket may be split also if the bolts are too loose. Mine had loose bolts on the front right corner and the gasket was cracked up into a couple pieces at that spot, so I had to replace it.

Its a cheap part but time consuming fix. Try Scott's suggestion first before attempting to take it apart.

RAZR
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Your oil pan gasket may be split also if the bolts are too loose. Mine had loose bolts on the front right corner and the gasket was cracked up into a couple pieces at that spot, so I had to replace it.

Its a cheap part but time consuming fix. Try Scott's suggestion first before attempting to take it apart.

Thanks,

I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, th eview is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.

RAZR
02-21-2006, 10:56 AM
get under the car and look. check all the 10mm bolts. do not overtighten as torque spec is very low. try using blue loctite

I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, the view is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.What do you think?

Thanks

Scott H
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Could it be coming from that area and dripping all the way down behind the starter?

I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, the view is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.What do you think?

Thanks

RAZR
02-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Could it be coming from that area and dripping all the way down behind the starter?

From what I've read I thought it could be the oil sender unit. I can't seem tobe able to locate the oil sender unit, to physically get to feel it and check for any leaks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott H
02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
it's at the back of the intake side. The coolant expansion tanks hides it a little bit. It's #16 in this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=11_1906&hg=11&fg=15

From what I've read I thought it could be the oil sender unit. I can't seem tobe able to locate the oil sender unit, to physically get to feel it and check for any leaks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

RAZR
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
it's at the back of the intake side. The coolant expansion tanks hides it a little bit. It's #16 in this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=11_1906&hg=11&fg=15

Thank you very much!!!

Any suggestiosn as what needs to be removed to get to it?

Thanks again

Scott H
02-21-2006, 11:22 AM
stand at the driver's side and strech under the coolant tank for a good look....you should be able to snug up with a 19mm socket and extension........after you unplug it

Thank you very much!!!

Any suggestiosn as what needs to be removed to get to it?

Thanks again

RAZR
02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
stand at the driver's side and strech under the coolant tank for a good look....you should be able to snug up with a 19mm socket and extension........after you unplug it

Thank you!

Scott H
02-21-2006, 11:27 AM
make sure that crush washer is not missing while you are in there.....

Thank you!

Akhil
02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I had leak from oil filter housing under intake mainfold but it always looked like it was leaking some where from engine block or at bottom of block above oil pan until I bough an inspection mirro from AutoZone and had a look with mirro and flashligh under intake mainfold.

You might wanna check housing before you go deep into engine.

Good luck
Akhil

RAZR
02-22-2006, 02:28 PM

I checked but could not find oil around the sender unit(orange in color). All I could see was the leak was coming from under the starter but I can't see exactly where from. I cleaned really good all over the spilled area and plan on checking again today to see how much has it leaked since yesterday.

RAZR
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM

I finally found the sender unit but there's no oil at all around it or underneath. I am still trying to isolate the area where it's coming from. Definitely from above the starter but can not really locate. Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott H
02-22-2006, 11:27 PM
valve cover gasket, although that would be a strange spot.

I finally found the sender unit but there's no oil at all around it or underneath. I am still trying to isolate the area where it's coming from. Definitely from above the starter but can not really locate. Any ideas?

Thanks

RAZR
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
valve cover gasket, although that would be a strange spot.

I ran this by a specialized BMW repair shop and one of the possibilities they come up with was the headgasket leaking on the exterior.
Ever heard of that?