PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Coolant

1995 525i
02-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Hey everyone...I'm leaking coolant (seems more of a problem the longer the car sits inactive) and I was wondering if anyone had a simple fix or one that doesn't require me spending several hundred dollars. For some reason, I can't search the forum otherwise I would have started there so my apologies if this question has been answered many time before.

Thanks,

Michael

Russell
02-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Mine ocassionaly leaks at what seems to be the seal around the botom of the expansion tank. Sort of puks a little out after drivng the car. short or long distance, no difference that I can see. This is with a three year old radiator and one year old water pump.

I just add a bit (about a pint) of BMWblue/distilled water coolant mix and go on. Not sure there is a problem.

Just my experience.

Hey everyone...I'm leaking coolant (seems more of a problem the longer the car sits inactive) and I was wondering if anyone had a simple fix or one that doesn't require me spending several hundred dollars. For some reason, I can't search the forum otherwise I would have started there so my apologies if this question has been answered many time before.

Thanks,

Michael

billb
02-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks,

Michael

My wife's 525 does the same if the car sits out in subfreezing temps. Since we moved and she can park it in the garage, I can go months without adding coolant now. Used to be weeks.

1995 525i
02-21-2006, 08:03 AM

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks guys...Can I fix it myself?

billb
02-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys...Can I fix it myself?

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/messages/51268.html

I'd be happy to lend a hand over this weekend, if you're available. I can walk you through all the steps I did.

1995 525i
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/messages/51268.html

I'd be happy to lend a hand over this weekend, if you're available. I can walk you through all the steps I did.

That would be great Bill! You wouldn't mind? Just let me know how to reach you. I'm assuming we should repair it at my house? Thank you very much!

Michael

billb
02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
That would be great Bill! You wouldn't mind? Just let me know how to reach you. I'm assuming we should repair it at my house? Thank you very much!

Michael

Yes, we can take a look at it at your house. Do you have BMW coolant in the car? If so, do you have extra? We're going to have to drain some out to do this job. And I can't guarantee this is the spot, but it's a likely candidate. We can also check other spots too. Do you get puddles under any portion of the car? Are there any white stains under the hood, indicating leaking coolant?

I'm sure I can find where you live. There's only one of you in Holly Springs :)

1995 525i
02-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, we can take a look at it at your house. Do you have BMW coolant in the car? If so, do you have extra? We're going to have to drain some out to do this job. And I can't guarantee this is the spot, but it's a likely candidate. We can also check other spots too. Do you get puddles under any portion of the car? Are there any white stains under the hood, indicating leaking coolant?

I'm sure I can find where you live. There's only one of you in Holly Springs :)

Yeah, I've got some extra BMW coolant. It puddles under the front, nowhere else. Yep, that's me in Holly Springs (off HWY55). How old are your kids? You can bring them with you. My son is 8 and my middle daughter is 5 and my youngest is almost two. We have a playground out back....

I haven't checked under the hood for white stains. I will today. I'll also PM you directions to my house and phone #.

Thanks!

Michael

billb
02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I've got some extra BMW coolant. It puddles under the front, nowhere else. Yep, that's me in Holly Springs (off HWY55). How old are your kids? You can bring them with you. My son is 8 and my middle daughter is 5 and my youngest is almost two. We have a playground out back....

I haven't checked under the hood for white stains. I will today. I'll also PM you directions to my house and phone #.

Thanks!

Michael
...while we're in there. Won't take too long. I can bring my son, he's 2.75 yrs. old. I'll have to pry him off the playground though! Name a time that works for you; this weekend's pretty clear for me.

billb
02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
...and the verdict is...WATER PUMP. We're sourcing one on Monday for an immediate install. Everything else looked okay under there. And his sig pic doesn't do the car justice. It's the most beautiful Orientblau I've seen! He'll post up a pic of his car and my E30 later.

Good to put another handshake together with a online meeting!