PDA

View Full Version : 535i Gas mileage

we_call_him_doher
02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey I just have a quick question- According to my on-board computer my car gets terible mileage (10-12 mpg), and although I havent checked it by tracking the miles on my odometer and dividing by the number of gallons put in, based on how fast i go through a tank of gas ~11 MPG seems pretty close.

So my question is what kind of mileage do you guys get? I drive pretty er...spirited :) , but im not flying away from ever stoplight or anything like that. I drive about 15 miles a day and in light to no traffic and mostly in the city (not much highway).

Seeing as how im 16 and broke I want to see if other people get similar mileage in 535s, or if it is simply my "lively" driving causing this poor mileage or something worse.

Thanks

Jay 535i
02-20-2006, 05:57 PM
If the OBC is accurate, that seems like a lot. I drive 'spritedly' as well and get 19-21 MPG.

mikemaster
02-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I've been getting between 17 and 19 MPG. You definitely have something wrong if you're only getting 11. Have you done a tune-up lately? Good place to start, and you can buy a nice tune-up kit at BMA for around $75 last I checked.

Robin-535im
02-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I second the 19-21 MPG with spirited driving... 11 seems pretty low.

Alexlind123
02-20-2006, 06:50 PM
my computer says 9mpg. But my speedometer doesnt work for about ten minutes each morning as well.

clhorton
02-20-2006, 07:03 PM
On average I usually get around 17 to 19 mpg on mine. I agree with the tune-up that could help greatly. You also may want to check the oxygen sensors as you could be running too rich.

Hey I just have a quick question- According to my on-board computer my car gets terible mileage (10-12 mpg), and although I havent checked it by tracking the miles on my odometer and dividing by the number of gallons put in, based on how fast i go through a tank of gas ~11 MPG seems pretty close.

So my question is what kind of mileage do you guys get? I drive pretty er...spirited :) , but im not flying away from ever stoplight or anything like that. I drive about 15 miles a day and in light to no traffic and mostly in the city (not much highway).

Seeing as how im 16 and broke I want to see if other people get similar mileage in 535s, or if it is simply my "lively" driving causing this poor mileage or something worse.

Thanks

we_call_him_doher
02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks ill look into the tune up kit. What are the signs of a bad oxygen sensor?

Phatty5BMW
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey sounds like my kinda mileage!!! I get about the same 9-12 in town a few stop signs but about 3 miles to work. I if i go down the interstate at 75-80 or so i get 15-18 but soon as hit stop n go it drop significantly.I know for a fact that I need a new dist. cap and I also think a new o2 sensor couldn't hurt a bit. :)

Pat

we_call_him_doher
02-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Sorry guys this may seem dumb, but I went to the BMA website and couldnt find the maintainence kit! could someone post a link or help direct me? I saw the kit on Bavauto.com but its $115. YIKES!

88m53453
02-22-2006, 07:42 PM
115 isn't out of line, but the generic Bosch are 49 FWIW, email me off list if you want details

Kalevera
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Get on the phone and CALL BMA, it's the only way to work with them.

BavAuto caters to people with leased cars; of course their price is going to be high.

best, whit

clhorton
02-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Though you may not always see it, usually black smoke from the tailpipe when pressing the gas is a sign you are running too rich and you may need a new oxygen sensor. Take a look around your bumper where your tailpipe is and look to see if there is any black residue on it. A small amount is normal but if you cant see the paint through it you may have a problem:D Maybe check into the fuel pressure regulator also.

Thanks ill look into the tune up kit. What are the signs of a bad oxygen sensor?