PDA

View Full Version : BMW: The Ultimate Driving Machine, OR the Ultimate Parking Machine???

SharkmanBMW
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_01022.wmv

Dave M
02-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder what it does when a kid, granny or dog steps behind or in front of the car. Maybe it offers them a pint of beer ;)

Dave M

SharkmanBMW
02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
probably has sensors to avoid problems... but I wonder if you can sue BMW if you do hit someone?!

mikell
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
OOOhhh, PLEASE, can't we all just LEARN TO DRIVE?? If this is the future of BMWs, count me out. Already too much electronic crap to go wrong and cost big bucks.

Robin-535im
02-20-2006, 05:55 PM
OOOhhh, PLEASE, can't we all just LEARN TO DRIVE?? If this is the future of BMWs, count me out. Already too much electronic crap to go wrong and cost big bucks.

To please us Americans... they should put in a "drift" setting in that program. It could sense the curve ahead, downshift, brake, then floor it for a nice computer-controlled drift.

E34 530
02-20-2006, 08:03 PM
The Toyota Prius had this a few years ago.

Qube
02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I hope it helps you to get out of that space. If you can't even get in, I don't want to see you try to 'manually' get out!

Jay 535i
02-21-2006, 02:10 PM
probably has sensors to avoid problems... but I wonder if you can sue BMW if you do hit someone?!

No, the driver is still responsible for looking out, and the driver controls the car's speed with the brake, so he can stop the car at any time.

skr
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
This scares me a lot. If in 2006 it parks itself, think about what it will do in 2016. Damn, if i buy a car i want to drive it. Defenatly not push a button and wach as it drives itself. (or parks itself) . Maybe they can implement an automated cuss word program. It will be able to chose from 10 diffrent frazes to say to people who piss you off. And all that with a shitty german accent.
Oh yea, and automated tailgateing and cutting people off.
Another thing that scared me and made me laugh the same time was that Citroen C1 or C2 (not sure, both as ugly) that had it's hood screwed in position and could only be opened by the dealer. It has this little panel that opens so you can add windscreen washer fluid and oil...
But i never looked at those pussy-mobiles as cars so didn't care to much. But a BMW that parks itself can't be right.

Jay 535i
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Another thing that scared me and made me laugh the same time was that Citroen C1 or C2 (not sure, both as ugly) that had it's hood screwed in position and could only be opened by the dealer.

Ditto the Audi A2 and Porsche Boxster. I'd have a Boxster in a heartbeat.

Man, you're one of those luddites, aren't you? If it were up to you we wouldn't have ABS or power steering. All these electronic goodies are good, IMHO. They make the tedium of city or highway driving bearable so that the car remains a relevant means of transport, and they stay out of the way when you want to do the driving yourself.

Qube
02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Remember what happened in "I, Robot" when he wanted to drive 'manually'? Granted it wasn't really his fault he crashed and burned, but it may be that driving 'fast, and furious' will be regulated to the track only in the future :|

Jay 535i
02-22-2006, 12:35 PM
You can't stop progress. It's up to our politicians, not car designers, to preserve our freedom. If high-tech cars lead to fewer freedoms (which I don't think will happen), then I blame the government -- not Honda.

ABS, airbags, traction control, ESP...all good things. Keep 'em coming, I say.

romus
02-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm with them when there's useful electronic "crap", designed to ASSIST the driver or is kinda cool to have, but boy, this stuff is retarding future "drivers". I mean, you already have 3 in 5 people who absolutely suck at parallel parking. Introduce this, and every one will become a retard because it's easier that way.