PDA

View Full Version : paging m5 guys...

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
How much would it cost to replace a rear axle?

fleabay strikes again (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-Series-M5-BMW-e34-M5-Ubersedan-for-the-price-of-an-Accord_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6131QQitemZ46148 53954QQrdZ1)

the seats are beat, but leatherique could help. i guess the rear axle is the sticky point. but still, for $8500, it seems it could be parted and someone could break even. I bet he would let it go for $8000 even, it's been re-listed 3 times so far that I've seen.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Never heard of rear axles failing, CV joints maybe? Not all that expensive at a guess.

Rear shocks are likely leaking due to failed SLS "bombs". Even good ones seep a bit. My pre-purchase inspection (stealer) 5+ years and 50,000kms ago condemned my rear shocks and they're still OK but new bombs are going in this spring.

Those seats are sure trashed though.

Scott H
02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
The cv joints in the rear axles might have play.....they are about $180/ea IIRC. The 535 and M5 use the same part.

At 171k miles I would swap the suspension out anyway.

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 09:51 PM
so, would either of you guys pay $8500 for that, knowing those issues?

Kalevera
02-19-2006, 10:20 PM
So.... It's overheating and a dealership found thousands of dollars worth of problems without (apparently) doing a compression or leak down test. Which means that if you're lucky (!) it's something as stupid as a tstat or a water pump (ha ha...wait, those parts were already replaced), but it's probably a blown head gasket, because S38s are really good at blowing head gaskets, which could intimate head or block issues. So you have to assume that the engine is junk.

The parts worth something on that car are the transmission (~ 2 to 3 grand), the skirts and bumpers (a grand), diff (a few hundred), wheels ($1000+ if they're straight), whatever's left of the interior/M5 specific trim ($800), brakes ($500 or so), sways ($200). And then you're left with a whole bunch of standard nickle and dime E34 parts that cost a lot to ship. And you still haven't broken even after removing all of this **** from the chassis and packing/shipping it.

It seems to me like this guy blew the head gasket or otherwise knows something's up, and is trying to dump the car.

It's a $2,000 car, if that. It needs thousands in work.

best, whit

HDhandyman
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM

That's funny, we must all go shopping for cars on Sunday. I knew exactly what you were talkin about before I even looked at the auction again.

Just my OP, but I wouldn't do it. Something tells me that as innocent as 3 auctions (+ how ever many private ones he's held ) may be, an M5 should be more well taken care of. I suppose there's always room for neglagence, and one such as yourself could surely take good care of her, but we can't be the first enthusiasts to take a look at this car. Maybe they know something we don't?

If I were gonna buy for a good deal today, I would have bought this....

(P.S. this is off the mark, but I'd definately rather spend 7-8 Gs on this)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4615114529&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

or this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4615057453&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 10:58 PM
So.... It's overheating and a dealership found thousands of dollars worth of problems without (apparently) doing a compression or leak down test. Which means that if you're lucky (!) it's something as stupid as a tstat or a water pump (ha ha...wait, those parts were already replaced), but it's probably a blown head gasket, because S38s are really good at blowing head gaskets, which could intimate head or block issues. So you have to assume that the engine is junk.

The parts worth something on that car are the transmission (~ 2 to 3 grand), the skirts and bumpers (a grand), diff (a few hundred), wheels ($1000+ if they're straight), whatever's left of the interior/M5 specific trim ($800), brakes ($500 or so), sways ($200). And then you're left with a whole bunch of standard nickle and dime E34 parts that cost a lot to ship. And you still haven't broken even after removing all of this **** from the chassis and packing/shipping it.

It seems to me like this guy blew the head gasket or otherwise knows something's up, and is trying to dump the car.

It's a $2,000 car, if that. It needs thousands in work.

best, whit

it's nice to have the wise members here. i now know that s38's are good at blowing headgaskets, something to keep in mind. although i knew something was fishy, i saw m5 and cheap (obviously bad combination but still). its not like i was gonna get it, and it seemed to me to be a hack, esp with 3+ auctions and a buyer backing out after a PPI (i don't buy the 117,000 as opposed to 171,000 mile line), but its cool to post up something and then bam instant gratification.

i'm on a 540 kick lately and that's actually what i was browsing...

62,000 miles you say? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-540I-6SPD-1998-540I-6SPD-62K-MILES-FULL-SERVICE-RECORDS-MINT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6008QQitemZ4614765 473QQrdZ1)
red on black (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-1995-540i-Rare-6-Speed-BMW-Serviced-Gorgeous-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6008QQitemZ4612 580009QQrdZ1)
red on tan (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-1995-E34-BMW-540i-6-speed-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6008QQitemZ46140 52338QQrdZ1)
has title issues.. hmmm (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-540-i-1995-BMW-540i-4-0-LITRE-6-spd_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6008QQitemZ46140693 00QQrdZ1)

Kalevera
02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Those are all nice cars. Did you see the '95 automatic that was converted to 6 speed that ended last week around philly? That would've been the one to get -- insurance people think it's an automatic, getting you a lower rate.

They're all kinda overpriced right now by my judgement. Nobody's listing anything on eBay. It's a seller's market. April and May are the months for buyer deals...at least, it was last year, when I was running into $2000 535/5 speeds about that time. Then there was that sub 4 grand 540/6 in CT or NH or wherever.

best, whit

SharkmanBMW
02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
540 RIGHT HERE DUDE!!!
we can make a deal that will make you very happy.
PM me APC

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Probably not. A bit stinky with the cooling problems. Unless, of course, he's gun shy about future problems. Sometimes you can be pushed past your limit for repair expenditures after soaking up a hefty repair bill, finding yourself saying: "what's next?"

However, if he truly is driving the thing every day since the cooling system repairs and no temperature problems... I'd do compression, leak-down, HC test in coolant, pull the O2 sensor to check for contamination, oil analysis etc. etc. etc.