PDA

View Full Version : Coolant hose replacement question?

Akhil
02-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey Guys...

I discovered yesturday that coolant hose # 7 in this pic is leaking. So I am am gonna have to replace it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1123&hg=11&fg=35

Here are my questions

1# I am plaing to drive it with heater turnd off until I replace this hose. Whould that make this leak stop(since heater valve will be colsed, I am think)?

2# can this hose be replaced without draining whole cooling system?

3# If I just that this hose out without draing the system, How much coolant should I expect to loose from there?

4# Can this job be done without taking intake mainfold out? This hose seems to be buried deep underneath intake mailfold.

5# How big this job is? Any special trick/care I should be paying attention to while doing this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Akhil

Scott C
02-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey Guys...

I discovered yesturday that coolant hose # 7 in this pic is leaking. So I am am gonna have to replace it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1123&hg=11&fg=35

Here are my questions

1# I am plaing to drive it with heater turnd off until I replace this hose. Whould that make this leak stop(since heater valve will be colsed, I am think)?

3# If I just that this hose out without draing the system, How much coolant should I expect to loose from there?

4# Can this job be done without taking intake mainfold out? This hose seems to be buried deep underneath intake mailfold.

5# How big this job is? Any special trick/care I should be paying attention to while doing this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Akhil

Took me about 4-5 hours, but I swapped pump and thermostat as well (which means I pulled radiator). The hose can be replaced without pulling the manifold off. It did require me to pull the air box, air sensor, etc as well as the throttle body (it will be apparent when you do this job). Just go slow, take your time - it is not pleasant (a lot of cut knuckles) to do but is bearable. I would recommend changing the fluid while you are at it - a LOT will come out and you might as well get the job done now. The radiator will completely drain, the engine will hold roughly 30% - maybe a little more.

Dave M
02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Guys...

Here are my questions

Thanks a lot in advance.
Akhil

Scott has provided some good advice, but if can get a post out of it.....:)

1) Not likely

2) As Scott said, yes, but it will inevitably get messy even if you drain it completely. Make sure you've got ample room for buckets to spill coolant into from various angles. Make sure your pets aren't hangin around.

3) See #2. Don't try it.

4) This is why i am responding. Again, Scott is correct, the intake is not fun. But......after removing mine twice in the past month, I would recommend doing it to make the job easier. Its not bad if you label everything and take your time. One step I hate is removing the wire loom for the coils on top of the head cover. The metal clips are a B!tch to get at. Hpoefully yours are different. Buy an intake gasket set and change those while your at it. You can also check out your intake valves...cool ;) and have a look at the business end of your injectors. Plus, save you knuckles.

5) A few years ago (first time) it probably took me three or more hours. No special tools are necessary. Just be prepared for the flood(s) and have some stickies and packing tape around to label things. Oh, and don't smoke as you'll have fuel spilling from the fuel lines.

6) Better yet, maybe you should get Scott to show you how to do it :)

Dave M

Akhil
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I was just reluctant to drain coolant becoz I did my water pump, T-stat and coolant flush and refill just 2 month ago. But if it require me to drain, I will do it and reuse the coolant. Correct me if I am wrong, if I drain coolant from bottom radiator hose then I can get coolant into a pan without making a mesh and I can reuse it. And since lower radiator hose is lower than the hose I am going to replace, no coolant will come out when I will take hose # 7 out for replaceing it. As far as mainfold, I am not sure I am ready to take that big of a job in hand or not because of my skill level and no proper palce to work car.

My question are

1# If I would like to go to mainfold job, then What else should I order (nned replacment for this job) apart form 6 mainfold profile gasket?

2# What else should I expect to fail/break (or need replacment) while taking things out for only hose replacment, so I can order them with hose and not get stuck after taking everything out.

Thanks a lot.
Akhil

shogun
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I had a similar case some months ago. Had replaced some hoses in regular interval schedule on the system, 3 weeks later the radiator started to leak. Did not want to loose the new coolant, as in a 750 engine with radiator for subtropical climate a lot of coolant goes in and costs a lot of money. I used some plyers to squeeze the hoses/closed them. After replacing the radiator I needed less than half a liter new coolant. The coolant from the radiator I collected under the old defective radiator and used a strainer when refilling it, just to avoid that some dirt which might have fallen into the collection tank would go into the system.