PDA

View Full Version : Cast your vote

Jr ///M5
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn0774.jpg

Aubrey turns 16 tomorrow. So what say ye? Does he get the 1991 318iS with 76k miles for his birthday? Let the board decide...

Cactuar
02-19-2006, 04:21 PM
If you think he's responsible enough then make him the happiest son ever! Make sure he understands he has a gem in his possession... this isn't just another car...

Dave M
02-19-2006, 04:27 PM
As long as you don't mind him drivin around with a car full of chicks ;)

Dave M

Scott H
02-19-2006, 04:31 PM
What a great car to learn so many things on. He can learn to drive, and learn to wrench! Of course it doesn't help when there's almost no work to do on the thing!!!

Good driver's car, good safe car, good for Aubrey!

Aubrey turns 16 tomorrow. So what say ye? Does he get the 1991 318iS with 76k miles for his birthday? Let the board decide...

kyleN20
02-19-2006, 04:32 PM
no, i mean i voted yes, but i dident see the pic, its to awsome, sell it so me

Alexlind123
02-19-2006, 04:41 PM
If he seems to be a good, safe driver then its a good idea. Someone at my school totalled at least one e30 318is.

kyleN20
02-19-2006, 04:41 PM
honestly i bet youv made you mind and are giving him the thing, but from experiance, no need to give him that car, give him a bimmer, yes, but not somthing so nice, he will ruin it and run it into the ground the way i did with my e30

liquidtiger720
02-19-2006, 04:45 PM
honestly i bet youv made you mind and are giving him the thing, but from experiance, no need to give him that car, give him a bimmer, yes, but not somthing so nice, he will ruin it and run it into the ground the way i did with my e30

I'm half with you, half not.

Either way, if you do give it to him, make sure he appreciates it. :)
My parents gave me the 525i when I was 15 1/2. I don't think I've run it into the ground yet.

kyleN20
02-19-2006, 04:56 PM
you gotta give him like a 1500 dollar e30

Luftpost
02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Kindness to my own son would say "Yes, lets spoil him!!!!", however the more powerful voice of reason says "let him bend a $1000 (read safe) car first". Examples would be Volvo 240 series, American iron....,etc., Dodge Grand Caravan (just kidding).

I bought all of my cars with my own sweat and blood with little help from my folks on my first car. I think there is an important lesson there.

This coming from a father of two, probably won't sit well with you younger folks.

Since you asked.......

L.

Kobe Diesel
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Give him a wreck, and let him turn it into that~

mattyb
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
What a fantastic present! but i voted not yet. i think let him bend a volvo240 first. give him the bimmer but as well make him save and buy a daily driver for a year and only take the bimmer once a week. best of both worlds. we all know what happens to most first cars. they get bumped, sctratched etc etc

billb
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
...no pesky sunroof to leak, no pesky central locking to jam up on him, and none of the pesky limited slip stuff to think about....

;)

I voted no, but in my heart, I know the answer is yes. Just tell him that he'll have to answer to me after he has to answer to you in case that baby ever gets even the slightest smudge!!

Good luck Aubrey, and make Dad proud! Be careful out there.

kyleN20
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
if your going to give him anything at all (he ought to buy his own) give him a ratty one, see what happens, he might wreck it, he might keep it clean, after a year or so see what you he deserves, maybe may him buy it off you.

peks
02-19-2006, 05:39 PM
looks like you already made up your mind, one yes choice and two no choices so not much chance for the no's..

but i would wait.. if hes like most 16 yrolds i know including myself at that age he will most likely damage it pretty good if not total it within a year or two.

so give him some american boat car and let him drive the 318is once in while so he knowsthe value of the 318is when you give it to him a year down the road..

my .02

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm going with not yet, but as a kid, damn, I wish my dad had something that nice to give me when I was 16 (3 years ago). The responsible driver in me says that he should get a beater, and take the 318 when he wants to take that hot blonde out. Everyone cracks up a car sooner or later, and it would suck to see that thing smashed. The kid in me says.... "I want that car and every chance I get it will be in 5th gear, and maybe dad can teach me how to slide around corners and heel-toe brake, etc etc."

Alexlind123
02-19-2006, 05:44 PM
What a fantastic present! but i voted not yet. i think let him bend a volvo240 first. give him the bimmer but as well make him save and buy a daily driver for a year and only take the bimmer once a week. best of both worlds. we all know what happens to most first cars. they get bumped, sctratched etc etc

Why would first cars get bumped and scratched more than second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth cars?

Scott H
02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I started driving in 1993 with a 1989 Jimmy. It was a nice car at the time, and I never wrecked it. I respected my dad for letting me use it so freely and having confidence that I would do the right things (despite coming home at 3am from my girlfriend's house consistently). I have a different take on the situation, and knowing Aubrey and the England family a little bit helps me in my decision. I have confidence that he would respect what he is given and it can be a good learning experience.

The only downside is that it sets the bar high going forward in life to always have a nice car. :D

What a great car to learn so many things on. He can learn to drive, and learn to wrench! Of course it doesn't help when there's almost no work to do on the thing!!!

Good driver's car, good safe car, good for Aubrey!

JoeS
02-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Give 'em something to tear the hell out, puke and smoke in. That car is to nice to cut your teeth on.

GJPinAU
02-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Bought a 318iS for my wife with the intention of our 2 boys being able to drive (borrow) the car until they can prove they can look after it.
These are too good to just give to them, as most NEW drivers are lucky to know where the fuel goes let alone tyre pressures, checking oil and water etc
cheers,
Greg

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I started driving in 1993 with a 1989 Jimmy. It was a nice car at the time, and I never wrecked it. I respected my dad for letting me use it so freely and having confidence that I would do the right things (despite coming home at 3am from my girlfriend's house consistently). I have a different take on the situation, and knowing Aubrey and the England family a little bit helps me in my decision. I have confidence that he would respect what he is given and it can be a good learning experience.

The only downside is that it sets the bar high going forward in life to always have a nice car. :D

I get the feeling that Aubrey will be a responsible driver. I voted not yet, not because I feel HE will wreck it. It's the other douchebags that are too busy putting on make up and thumbing their asses while driving that I worry about.

calmloki
02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I have no idea what Aubrey is like - but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion! I say give a child something more valuable than a car, namely the experience of earning what he or she gets. My thought is that it is difficult to value what someone else gives without having learned by earning on one's own. Too many these days think they are somehow entitled to something, or that the world owes them something. Better to learn early that what one recieves is based on one's own efforts. This is tough on a parent who has the ducats and the desire to give freely to their child but makes for a better and more productive person in the end.
Generic thoughts apropo of no one.
Tom Walrod, no kids, but a niece and nephew who have been given to too freely, to their detriment.

wingman
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
It looks lovely. It wont for long. I too was a responsible driver with a respect for the car I was given but I was let down by my inexperience. Get him a hack and wave the E30 in front of nose as the prize for 12 months of careful, responsible driving. Just my humble opinion.

Alexlind123
02-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I get the feeling that Aubrey will be a responsible driver. I voted not yet, not because I feel HE will wreck it. It's the other douchebags that are too busy putting on make up and thumbing their asses while driving that I worry about.

I see what you mean. One can be a technically perfect driver and still get hit by another driver. It takes entirely another level of driving skill to practice defensive driving and always being ready for the other guy to do something stupid. It take awhile to learn proper defensive driving, some of it is instinctive, but much of it come from experience. I know that i am not at the level of driving skill that i will be at 1, 2 or three years from now, so i adjust my attention and focus as well as caution accordingly. Also, even if the new driver does everything he/she is supposed to, it is very easy to make one stupid mistake that will ruin your car.

Gayle
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Jr Can you tell us anything about Aubery that would let us know that he would recognize the value of what he would be getting? Has he had a job? Has he worked with you on the cars? Has he shown excessive responsibility and maturity for his age?

People value things in direct proportion to the effort expended in getting it. Things that come easy, like inheritances or lottery winnings, are blown quickly because people didn't have to work for them. If Aubery has not had to expend any energy to earn this car, he won't value it and is more likely to trash it.

My inclination would be to set a bargain price on it and let him buy it from you when he can earn the money to do so. He wil enjoy the car much more under those circumstances.

mzarifkar
02-19-2006, 07:05 PM
The question i would like to raise is: is 16 a proper age to begin driving (a BMW) independantly?
I didnt get my license till i was in the late 17, in retrospect, i thank my parents for it. even so, i have done some stupid things, especially when given the 5, as opposed to my own saab.
looking back i see how the might and power of the 5 brought out a very irresponsible side, fueled by peer pressure and ...well teen culture. Part of it may have been a reaction to having had my permit for 2 years under strict limitations, but regardless. i think it is part of the growing up/maturing driver process to do stupid stuff. i got lucky most of my growing up was done in an old SAAB 900s, which made me appreciate and respect the occasions in which i was given the 5 more, and made me all the more happier when the car was mine. Personally i wouldnt just give it to him. make him want it, teach him how to drive in it like a pro, send him to BMW teen driver school, as a gift. drive with him, spend time with him and the car and try to see how he does.

You probably already have made up your mind. but either way, happy birthday to your son.

Scott H
02-19-2006, 07:06 PM
if he hasn't ALREADY earned the car over the last few years???

I have no idea what Aubrey is like - ...... I say give a child something more valuable than a car, namely the experience of earning what he or she gets.

Jr ///M5
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Jr Can you tell us anything about Aubery that would let us know that he would recognize the value of what he would be getting?

Glad you asked Gayle, you should re-read the post by Scott H....

Aubrey will be doing his Eagle project this Spring, he has been active in Boy Scouts ever since he was 6 years old. If you know about Boy Scouts, then you know about the character it builds.

Aubrey makes A's and B's with an accelerated class schedule. He works around the house, and usually works for cash in the summer for his Uncle. This year, he wants to get his first "real job" and sock some cash away for college. He is taking a class this semister called "Transportation Tech", it's about learning just how all the mechanics in the automobile work by tearing them down and putting them back together. He is always interested in what I'm doing to the cars and is always there to lend a hand.

Bill Bass sent a book to me about driving autocross a few years ago, Aubrey read the book and would watch races with me and then ask questions about the "line" they were using and the apex...

I can appreciate everyones apprehension about "giving" a car to Aubrey, and I would be the first one to say, NO, if the situation were different. It's not about the cost of the car, I paid $1300 for it and brought it back to life as one of my winter projects. It's about rewarding the child who goes to church, makes the grades, doesn't drink or do drugs, and respects his mother and father, and to attain the rank of Eagle in the Boy Scouts. He is a son to be proud of and I could go on, but it would be like watching home movies..;)

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
sure sounds like he's earned it to me.

Johntee540
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Here's the deal. I read the whole thread. Frankly - this isnt about us or what we had when we were growing up. This is about a young man's first car that his Dad has worked on in order to give him. Food for Thought - EAGLE Scouts Rock! In order for Aubrey to achieve EAGLE he would have had to demonstrate great responsibility; judgement and character.

I am certain the car also offers an opportunity to wrench on it as well. And MOST importantly of all - the e30 chassis is a really safe one. I have seen people who have hit trees in them walk away. Personally - I could care less if the car was abused as long as it was safe in an accident with my kid in it. So - I voted yes and I think the Father / Son / Wrenching potential on this car is high - JT

kyleN20
02-19-2006, 07:41 PM
i.... i dono, i bet that you could be a great son, and i bet that he is, damnit id like to think that i was, and my dad helped me out with my first, whatever i saved he would match, i thought that was a good system, made me work for it, i still ended up messing up the e30, i think its a thing of first drivers, your bound to have a accident, fenderbender, what have you, also dose he know how to drive a stick (is it a stick) i had a few hairy happenings with the 535im when i first got it, because i was unfamilar with it, and i can only imagin if i was just begining to drive. truth be told id like to be your son. on a diffirent not, id like to talk to you about 318is's in general, because i would like to get one.

thanks

kyle

SC David
02-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like he has earned it. As long as you feel he is a capable driver, there should be no question.

Zeuk in Oz
02-19-2006, 11:48 PM

In my humble opinion the question is less about how nice the car is or how responsible Aubrey is but more about the extent of your say in how he uses it.

If you give him the car you will have less control over him and the car than if you allow him to use it and pehaps give it to him at a later date.

As a father of 4 teenage boys, 18, 17, 15, 13, two of whom have licences, I find it much easier to insist on a curfew or numbers of passengers, etc when we own the cars they drive.

Not trying to spoil their fun, just trying to keep them alive !

casurfer911
02-20-2006, 02:25 AM
it seems to me like everyone is making a really big deal about it. I was given a car when i turned 16 and i never put a single scratch on it, lots of my friends were given brand new 30 thousand dollar cars when they turned 16, some of them were well taken care of and some not. It depends on the person.

angrypancake
02-20-2006, 06:24 AM
completely agreed.

Bill R.
02-20-2006, 07:13 AM
way I'm sure that J.R. will do the right thing as the situation warrants.

Hd handyman, that really was a uncalled for post

Jjcarr
02-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Damn, nice 318is. I still regret selling mine. The 318is lover in me says no way (sell it to me...), but at then end of the day, as much as we all love the e30's and don't want to see them damaged, it's a $4k car that's reliable, efficient, and doesn't have so much power that he'll kill himself. As a car, I think it's an ideal first car. However, as so many people here mention, once you get past the car itself, it becomes more about the appropriateness of the gift and what it does for him as a learning tool (cars, responsiblity, etc...).

I'd say if there is some way you can make him "vested" in the car, like have him make small payments and cover insurance and maintenance, that might make the car a good learning experience and and ideal first car. Maybe also establish that it's your car, and not his until he "pays it off". It's like an allowance, on the surface it seems to be a bad idea, but it can also teach money handling and saving. Maybe think of a way to structure the "gift" of the car in such a way as to make it a learning exercise in many ways.

My first car was a 73 VW Bug that was plenty reliable, but had a black vinyl interior and no A/C, and I lived in Houston TX. I'm all about responsiblity for the kid but that car was really a mixed blessing. I think a kid shouldn't have an expensive car, and should learn responsibility with it, but working on it all the time can be a pain and distracting from other lessons he may need to learn. I think a $4k car that he has to pay some for, and maintain and work on as needed is a good "learner." While a $1k beater can be more of a burden.

J

calmloki
02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Aubrey will be doing his Eagle project this Spring, he has been active in Boy Scouts ever since he was 6 years old. If you know about Boy Scouts, then you know about the character it builds.

Aubrey makes A's and B's with an accelerated class schedule. He works around the house, and usually works for cash in the summer for his Uncle. This year, he wants to get his first "real job" and sock some cash away for college. He is taking a class this semister called "Transportation Tech", it's about learning just how all the mechanics in the automobile work by tearing them down and putting them back together. He is always interested in what I'm doing to the cars and is always there to lend a hand.

Bill Bass sent a book to me about driving autocross a few years ago, Aubrey read the book and would watch races with me and then ask questions about the "line" they were using and the apex...

I can appreciate everyones apprehension about "giving" a car to Aubrey, and I would be the first one to say, NO, if the situation were different. It's not about the cost of the car, I paid $1300 for it and brought it back to life as one of my winter projects. It's about rewarding the child who goes to church, makes the grades, doesn't drink or do drugs, and respects his mother and father, and to attain the rank of Eagle in the Boy Scouts. He is a son to be proud of and I could go on, but it would be like watching home movies..;)

Jr,
Aubrey sounds like a great son - congratulations on your good fortune on his genetic mix and your care and skill in his upbringing. Your initial post was bare of details - sounds like you are pretty sure he has earned his reward.
Tom Walrod

dacoyote
02-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Aubrey will be doing his Eagle project this Spring, he has been active in Boy Scouts ever since he was 6 years old. If you know about Boy Scouts, then you know about the character it builds.....

I didn't know that... glad I voted yes before...

I voted yes just because you seem like a good guy... so your kids have to be at least half good...

Russell
02-20-2006, 09:16 AM
IMO, the first car a young person has is his "learning experience". he or she needs an older car, even a beater, to learn on. This car is way too nice to learn on. I am basing this on haveing 3 teenage drivers (twin boys and one girl) at one time. :)

DanH
02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with a few ideas here, including Gayle's about the apparent value of something based on amount of work to get it, and also a gradual transfer of ownership/responsibility over time, so my choice was "wait for later", but let him drive and do all the repairs/maintanance now.

Since JR said he has proven himself to be a responsible son to this point, then I would say to give him the car to use and maintain and then turn over total control and the title to him on his 18th birthday, that way you still have the right to control what he does with it if he somehow becomes irresponsible. Which likely wouldn't happen from what you've said, so essentially it would be his car anyway, for him to get to work and earn money for his maintanance, insurance, and higher education budget.

Good Luck!

Jjcarr
02-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Since JR said he has proven himself to be a responsible son to this point, then I would say to give him the car to use and maintain and then turn over total control and the title to him on his 18th birthday, that way you still have the right to control what he does with it if he somehow becomes irresponsible.

I would point out that it's VERY important to be very clear who has ownership of the car. My folks took my VW back when I got out of college, and all along I was under the impression that it was my car, that was a nasty still sting.

Perhaps get him on a small payment plan (say $50 a month or so) from when he's 16 till he's 18, then he owns it. That might be a good money lesson on loans, payment, and interest. Perhaps even structure it as a loan with a percentage rate with the option of paying it off early, so that he learns about loans and payments and the value of early payment, even the benefit of extra payments. Give it a high rate of say 8% so he really can see the difference.

J

Torque
02-20-2006, 11:10 AM
It all really depends on his behavior and level of responsibility.

I have to disagree with a lot of people here ... only because it's first car, doesn't mean it will get ruined; I got my 525 before I got my licence ... granted it was my own money, but I'd treat it just as well if it was given to me.

So yes, give him the car.

632 Regal
02-20-2006, 11:15 AM
now I have something I can post a real vote on...
Glad you asked Gayle, you should re-read the post by Scott H....

mzarifkar
02-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I would point out that it's VERY important to be very clear who has ownership of the car. My folks took my VW back when I got out of college, and all along I was under the impression that it was my car, that was a nasty still sting.

Perhaps get him on a small payment plan (say $50 a month or so) from when he's 16 till he's 18, then he owns it. That might be a good money lesson on loans, payment, and interest. Perhaps even structure it as a loan with a percentage rate with the option of paying it off early, so that he learns about loans and payments and the value of early payment, even the benefit of extra payments. Give it a high rate of say 8% so he really can see the difference.

J

You could even take his payments and put them aside for his college and at his 18th give him the ownership of the car, along with an account for college

bjl4776
02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Dont even joke about the Grand Caravan. My parents picked out the E34 for me before previously owning any bimmers. We split the cost in ahlf and I payed for the maintence, which is why I started working on cars in the first place. And I respect the cars even more for it. Unfortunatly I did total it and it was the first time I cried in something besides family in a long time. And now I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan that goes through trannies like its its job, and wont idle, and all the ball joints are gone, just because I dont care about it enough to put money in it. If your son has respect for the car there is no problem in letting him have it, he might beat on it, and probably will. But he will take care of it, and dont pretend like you don't beat on your bimmers every now and then.

Alexlind123
02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
One question, probably a stupid one, but how badly does he want it?

Jr ///M5
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
That's an excellent question, you have to like something if you're going to take proper care of it, and of course he likes the car, very much, who wouldn't. But the thing that stuck with me when I was talking to him one day about maybe selling it and getting something else for him to drive, was what he said, "Dad, it's a cool car, but I would drive whatever you decided to get for me." That stuck with me, and it let me know that he wasn't in it "just for the sake of the car". He's never asked for it, begged for it, or otherwise, he's just happy to be able to drive it and take care of it. I would rather see him with it, than some of the so called "enthusiasts" out there.

Don't think for a minute that I'll just turn the keys over to him and say, "Here ya go"..... this is a progressive move, one that happens over time. Done in a manner that doesn't pressure him or me. I'm bald and gray enough already.....

dternst
02-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Bad form...

Torque
02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Jr, like I said, I'm all for you giving him the car, but if you decide to sell, I want it. :)

HDhandyman
02-21-2006, 05:50 AM
I gonna bump and repost this message which is also located in "OT: Another Intelegeance Deal". If anyone else feels the need to chase me over multiple threads instead of dealing with me personally, this is for you.

"What would you have me do,....
quit the forum? What's the problem? It's not as if I'm in the habbit of being an ******* here or something. I just thought it was interesting that 20 of us were working around the clock to try to figure out if a sixteen year old kid was gonna get a new bimmer for his birthday while people around the world are dying in droves. We truly are fortunate. I was just reading through the thread, and that's what hit me. I wasn't attacking anyone. I just thought that it was interesting, or sad. That's reality. That's what came out, and I'm entitled to my opinion and my reality checks every now and again. I'm sorry if that post post hurt your feelings and effected you this much. Maybe there's a reason that feel the need to chase me across multiple threads? Maybe you'd like the number for Christian Charities, 1-888-511-6548?

Whatever the case, if you have a problem with me then you can take it up here, with me personally. I'm not in the habbit of being persecuted. I believe myself to be a reasonable and kind person."

Scott H
02-21-2006, 06:04 AM
When really it is applicable to 90% of the threads on here. When someone asks what wheels are better for his car, or what body kit to put on, or what suspension setup to buy, are we all to be reminded that there are other areas of the world far far less fortunate? and that the money we are spending on our new hot wheels to spice up our old bimmer should be going to habitat for humanity or save tibet?

I think there was a temporary lack of perspective when that post was made, as it could really, according to your reasoning below, be insterted in almost any one of the threads on here.

The kid is getting a car his dad bought for $1,300 and put some cash and elbow grease in to. And he probably worked harder for it than a lot of other teenie boppers on this forum who got nicer vehicles from their parents upon turning 16.

Now I ask you once more to take a 30,000ft view of the situation and ask yourself how appropriate was your post? That is one post where you just close the browser when you get done typing instead of clicking submit....

Regards
Scott

I gonna bump and repost this message which is also located in "OT: Another Intelegeance Deal". If anyone else feels the need to chase me over multiple threads instead of dealing with me personally, this is for you.

"What would you have me do,....
quit the forum? What's the problem? It's not as if I'm in the habbit of being an ******* here or something. I just thought it was interesting that 20 of us were working around the clock to try to figure out if a sixteen year old kid was gonna get a new bimmer for his birthday while people around the world are dying in droves. We truly are fortunate. I was just reading through the thread, and that's what hit me. I wasn't attacking anyone. I just thought that it was interesting, or sad. That's reality. That's what came out, and I'm entitled to my opinion and my reality checks every now and again. I'm sorry if that post post hurt your feelings and effected you this much. Maybe there's a reason that feel the need to chase me across multiple threads? Maybe you'd like the number for Christian Charities, 1-888-511-6548?

Whatever the case, if you have a problem with me then you can take it up here, with me personally. I'm not in the habbit of being persecuted. I believe myself to be a reasonable and kind person."

HDhandyman
02-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Ok, it's gone, Bill. I never meant to attack anyone with that post, Scott. It's just what came out. I don't think it was terribly out of place, I was just trying to make a point. Still, if everybody's gonna get this upset about it, then I'll just remove it.

Guapo
02-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Don't think for a minute that I'll just turn the keys over to him and say, "Here ya go"..... this is a progressive move, one that happens over time. Done in a manner that doesn't pressure him or me. I'm bald and gray enough already.....

How about on a trial basis? Let him use the car for a set period of time, and see how he does with it. If he is able to prove that he is mature enough for the responsibility, then make the car permanently his.

The concern I have with 16 year old kids is less with the kid when by themselves but more of what happens when they have a carful of buddies. Kids tend to lose their judgment and do silly things. Nevermind the lack of experience to drive defensively.

Gayle
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Did you say anything to your son about the car on his birthday? What happened?

Evan
02-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Give it to him but don't tell him it's his... tell him he can use it whenever he needs to run an errand or go to a game or hang out at the mall parking lot... let him know that if he takes good care of it, he can have it full-time when he's 17... he can spend a year learning how to properly maintain a sweet BMW... and that is a sweet one!

Jr ///M5
02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
After looking over all the posts, I would like to "Thank" everyone for their opinions and viewpoints concerning the likelyhood of Aubrey and his future in a 318iS. I never would have thought it would have generated such an interest. Some of the posts reminds us to be thankful for what we have;) , and I'm thankful for each and every one of you!

The tally of the votes show that the car should be given to Aubrey, and it will, maybe not just immediately. The next 6 months are busy ones for him, finishing his Eagle project, finishing the school year, starting a new job. The emphasis is on finishing here. Not starting. People can start new projects all day long, to stick with it and actually finish it, that's the difference in perserverence, and a lesson I need him to learn full well. Yes, Aubrey will have access to the 318 for errands or take to school occasionally, or take a pretty young thing to the movies. But as far as the 16th birthday being a milestone for turning loose the keys, no way. I still need the leverage in raising the young man, and releasing the 318 to him a little at a time, over a period of time, will hopefully, be a smoother transitition for both of us.

So in a way, all three of the poll choices were correct, there is no wrong answer, just wrong decisions. It takes a combination of everything, to make it work correctly. Aubrey is a good, nice young man, and it's my job to make sure he grows up with all of the tools he needs to make it in lifes journey.

Years down the road, when you run into him at one of the Bimmer meetings, you can remind him how you, "had a say" in his first car.;)

Think I should let him read all the posts? Just so he knows what is expected from him by you?:D

Thanks again fellow Bimmers, it was a fun poll.......

Enjoyed it,
Jr

Kakaire
02-21-2006, 08:47 PM
In my country he should wait till 18

angrypancake
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
^ I spy with my little eye a boobie!

Zeuk in Oz
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Well said Jr !
It looks as though you have this parenting thing under control and it sounds as though Aubrey is a son to be proud of.
I applaud your attitude !
I can see only one future problem - you will have spoilt him so that only a bimmer will do in future as well - what a legacy ! ;)

dacoyote
02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
^ I spy with my little eye a boobie!

yeah... so did I... nice picture

rot535i
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I think it's a great first car. I bought a 1981 240GL Volvo with 95,000 mi. for $800.00 that looked like it was new for my daughter. She loved it, said it was so retro. Now she is in college and no need for a car, just another expense. It was handed to her younger sister who is the present driver. The main thing is you know he has a safe reliable vehicle for whatever happens so you can worry less when he is driving. I would like to find a similar car for my youngest daughter who really likes my 5 series. I got a couple years to look for one. Good luck, I'm sure he will take care of it.