PDA

View Full Version : Combatable Coolant

McWatters
02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Ive used the search but i couldnt find anything even tho i swore we discussed this a while ago.

Any what coolant is actually combatable with our cars, Ive heard that you should only use stealer shite, is there any aftermarket stuff thats just as good???

cheers

J.McWatters

Alexlind123
02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
compatible

Kobe Diesel
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
pentosin? ive been wondering myself...

632 Regal
02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
cool blue

athflying79
02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I bought my car and it already had the bright green in. Not knowing what it was or how long it had been in there, I drained it and put in some more bright green (Prestone 50/50). I figured the motor has already been exposed, no point in turning back now. I recently changed all my coolant hoses and everything looked normal. I also changed my t-stat and nothing unusual. Can't see my cooling passages in the block and head or the water pump, so I wouldn't swear that it hasn't damaged the car. I know this is a highly controversial topic, but that's what I've done so far.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Anything but OE is combatible in the car, as in fights with the inside of the engine.:)

For what the OE costs, just suck it up and use it - likely no more than $30 for the whole thing.

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 03:41 PM
wasn't a conclusion that Saab coolant is comPatible with our cars, and cheaper than the bmw $tealers

Dave M
02-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I just bought VW coolant (their blue stuff) and it is exactly the same as BMW as far as I can tell. From the components (had the 'ingredients' printed out when looking at it) to the color (coooool blue) to the subtleties of the bottle, its the same $hit.

No less expensive mind you, but if you don't have a dealer next door, next best thing,

Good Luck,

Dave M

shogun
02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
I wrote something last year about this
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/121555/

As for Pentosin: www.bavauto.com has something from Febi.
But for that small amount of Pentosin I would not bother to buy some online and to keep stock. I always have a small can of Pentosin CHF 7.1 in my trunk for emergenxy, since I once lost on a trip suddenly Pentosin and no dealer/shop in sight which carried that brand.

wingman
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
compatible

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?!?!;)

Kalevera
02-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't use anything but OEM BMW cool blue.

Having said that, it's important to realize that the stuff was put into use around ~ 94, so it was common practice for these cars to get generic phosphate free green stuff prior to then. It doesn't matter so much what is used as is how often it is changed.

Coolant loses its anticorrosive and cooling attributes over time. That's why these cars (used to) last -- because the service schedule dictated replacement every two years. Compare that to most other car companies. Try finding any mention of brake fluid or coolant replacement in any non-BMW owner's manual. The domestics would have their customers believe that their cars have lifetime fill brake and cooling circuits...probably because they don't expect you to own it for more than 7 years.

best, whit

Zeuk in Oz
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM
As far as I am aware the price at dealers is subsidised to a certain extent - in Oz it costs AUD $ 13.20 for 1.5 litres. 2 bottles are required !

Kalevera
02-19-2006, 11:48 PM
As far as I am aware the price at dealers is subsidised to a certain extent - in Oz it costs AUD $ 13.20 for 1.5 litres. 2 bottles are required !

I don't know about subsidised. NA dealers pay $11.50/gallon for the stuff (p/n 82 14 1 467 704), with a list price of $19.25, but I think the matrix price is something more aligned with what realoem says -- $24 or around that. And it's supposedly manufactured in the US.

best, whit

Zeuk in Oz
02-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't know about subsidised.

Perhaps I chose my words poorly - what I probably should have said was that they appear to put less mark up on the coolant than other things - that is less than 400%. :D

athflying79
02-20-2006, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't use anything but OEM BMW cool blue.

Having said that, it's important to realize that the stuff was put into use around ~ 94, so it was common practice for these cars to get generic phosphate free green stuff prior to then. It doesn't matter so much what is used as is how often it is changed.

Coolant loses its anticorrosive and cooling attributes over time. That's why these cars (used to) last -- because the service schedule dictated replacement every two years. Compare that to most other car companies. Try finding any mention of brake fluid or coolant replacement in any non-BMW owner's manual. The domestics would have their customers believe that their cars have lifetime fill brake and cooling circuits...probably because they don't expect you to own it for more than 7 years.

best, whit

lowell,

You are a mechanic and been around BMW's for quite some time. From what I have read, the need for BMW's coolant or even phosphate free coolant is because of Europe's high mineral content. The phosphates soften the water which cause the minerals to "fall out" and create the deposits everyone talks about. Have you personally seen a US BMW that had severe cooling problems that were directly connected to using the wrong coolant???

I am all for taking care of my car, but I like to know the hows and whys behind things such as this. I have read all the horror stories online, but have yet to see any first hand accounts.

At this moment I am using the Prestone 50/50 Coolant that is not phosphate free. They do make a phosphate free coolant but state in there FAQ's that realistically it is not needed. In our sue happy culture, I have a hard time believing a large company would open themselves up to that kind of liability if they didn't have true facts to back them up with. I realize it would be hard for a consumer to be able to prove without a doubt the coolant was the cause of some kind of failure, but nonetheless they are leaving themselves open to those kind of lawsuits.

uscharalph
02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Ive used the search but i couldnt find anything even tho i swore we discussed this a while ago.

Any what coolant is actually combatable with our cars, Ive heard that you should only use stealer shite, is there any aftermarket stuff thats just as good???

cheers

J.McWatters
The guys at BMA say that the Mercedes coolant is the same as BMW Cool Blue and also a little cheaper, but I'm not putting something PINK in my BMW.

632 Regal
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
the manual says to use distilled water so the mineral content in any water is not relevant.
From what I have read, the need for BMW's coolant or even phosphate free coolant is because of Europe's high mineral content. The phosphates soften the water which cause the minerals to "fall out" and create the deposits everyone talks about. Have you personally seen a US BMW that had severe cooling problems that were directly connected to using the wrong coolant???

athflying79
02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
the manual says to use distilled water so the mineral content in any water is not relevant.

That is true, but what happens when you lose some coolant or overheat and your only option is some tap water in the middle of Frankfurt. No stores around and you forgot your trusty supply of backup distilled water/coolant. You can either wait for a tow truck or fill with tap water. Even in the US there are parts of the country with exceptionally hard water. In this case, if you were using the BMW coolant or even phosphate free coolant, you have nothing to worry about.

In any event, for peace of mind, I think it is more than worth just using BMW coolant, but I'm sticking with the bright green. If I plug her up and roast the engine...well, guess it will be time to learn how to rebuild.