PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i pads????

ceasarco
02-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Hi all,
I ordered some brake parts for my 1995 540i E34 M60.
My mechanic tells me the rotors and pads are not the right ones for my car. I checked with the supply store and they tell me they are the right items. Does anyone here recognize these pads. I think maybe the previous owner may have modified the braking system.
Thanks

stargazer_61
02-19-2006, 06:46 AM
The pads with the ears on them look right. The "earless" one is definitely wrong for a 540i. Who'd you order your gear from?

540's have bigger brakes than other E34 cars (except M5). Pads are not interchangeable with other models.

DrewZ
02-19-2006, 07:38 AM
The squarish pad on the left of your picture looks like the pads that go with the 4-pot "Nurburgring" calipers that were standard on the late euro M5 and Canadian M540i. The pad with the ears looks like a stock E34 pad. Although the "regular" 540i uses a different rotor, the pads are interchangeable with most other E34s (525i, 535i, 530i and US M5).

Post a pic of your caliper, and we'll know better what you're dealing with.

Hi all,
I ordered some brake parts for my 1995 540i E34 M60.
My mechanic tells me the rotors and pads are not the right ones for my car. I checked with the supply store and they tell me they are the right items. Does anyone here recognize these pads. I think maybe the previous owner may have modified the braking system.
Thanks

ceasarco
02-19-2006, 08:03 AM
The squarish pad on the left of your picture looks like the pads that go with the 4-pot "Nurburgring" calipers that were standard on the late euro M5 and Canadian M540i. The pad with the ears looks like a stock E34 pad. Although the "regular" 540i uses a different rotor, the pads are interchangeable with most other E34s (525i, 535i, 530i and US M5).

Hey, thanks for all your help. My 540 is a Canadian model. I purchased these parts locally from a London Ontario brake supplier and the rotors from a Connecticut supplier. I don't have any pics now of the caliper but I am posting pics of the rotors. I will try to get pics of the calipers from my mechanic.

632 Regal
02-19-2006, 01:30 PM
left rotor looks cracked

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
would be sweet if he has an m540i. post up a pic of your car and one of the calipers and we'll go from there.

Scott H
02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the right rotor a floating rotor from the M540 and the left rotors a normal one? Pretty sure you have mismatched rotors.......now you NEED to post pics of your calipers before going further.....

Hey, thanks for all your help. My 540 is a Canadian model. I purchased these parts locally from a London Ontario brake supplier and the rotors from a Connecticut supplier. I don't have any pics now of the caliper but I am posting pics of the rotors. I will try to get pics of the calipers from my mechanic.

ceasarco
02-19-2006, 02:58 PM
would be sweet if he has an m540i. post up a pic of your car and one of the calipers and we'll go from there.

Its on a hoist at my mechanics garage. I 'll try to get over there tomorrow and gets some pics.

Thanks again

DrewZ
02-19-2006, 06:22 PM
left rotor is rear 328mm rotor and right rotor is front 345mm rotor. Similarly, top pad pic is front pads and bottom pad pic is rear pads.

are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the right rotor a floating rotor from the M540 and the left rotors a normal one? Pretty sure you have mismatched rotors.......now you NEED to post pics of your calipers before going further.....

ceasarco
02-20-2006, 10:37 AM

Hi, I'm going to my mechanics this afternoon and take some pics of the calipers. He tells me now that these are 4 piston calipers that are in good shape and that the rotors can be machined and saved also. If these are the 4 pot Nurburging calipers where can I buy the pads for them.

Thanks I will be back with pics and any part numbers I can retrieve.

ceasarco
02-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Its on a hoist at my mechanics garage. I 'll try to get over there tomorrow and gets some pics.

Thanks again

Got some pics and numbers. The front pads are Textar T4056 and the rear are Textar T4057. Someone emailed me today and said they are from a 96 540i but who knows, I need to know for sure. The front calipers are 4 piston units as earlier suggested.

Thanks

Scott H
02-20-2006, 02:25 PM
you have the euro M5/Canadian M540 front brakes and bigger rears as well!

Floating rotors in the front.....square pads as well. BMW p/n for front pads is 34 11 2 227 863. Textar 4056 is correct for fronts.

Front rotors are directionally vented....most adviseable to replace them but they are probably expensive.
34 11 2 227 735
34 11 2 227 736

Rear rotors are 34 21 2 227 844 (328mmx20mm)

Rear pads are BMW p/n 34 21 2 227 325. Textar 4057 is correct for rears.

You probably got pads for normal 540 brakes and that is why your parts supplier thinks they are the right ones.

Got some pics and numbers. The front pads are Textar T4056 and the rear are Textar T4057. Someone emailed me today and said they are from a 96 540i but who knows, I need to know for sure. The front calipers are 4 piston units as earlier suggested.

Thanks

DrewZ
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
you have the euro M5/Canadian M540 front brakes and bigger rears as well!

Floating rotors in the front.....square pads as well. BMW p/n for front pads is 34 11 2 227 863. Textar 4056 is correct for fronts.

Front rotors are directionally vented....most adviseable to replace them but they are probably expensive.
34 11 2 227 735
34 11 2 227 736

Rear rotors are 34 21 2 227 844 (328mmx20mm)

Rear pads are BMW p/n 34 21 2 227 325. Textar 4057 is correct for rears.

You probably got pads for normal 540 brakes and that is why your parts supplier thinks they are the right ones.

Yeppers, you got some bigass brakes. And steel brake lines, too. BMA or your local dealer should be able to set you up with the right pad and/or rotors. Tell them they're for a '95 M5.

Jeff N.
02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
...those are Dodge Neon brakes. I'll give you $5 for the pair and toss in my M5 front brakes just cuz I'm a nice guy. :D

Yeppers, you got some bigass brakes. And steel brake lines, too. BMA or your local dealer should be able to set you up with the right pad and/or rotors. Tell them they're for a '95 M5.

ceasarco
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
...those are Dodge Neon brakes. I'll give you $5 for the pair and toss in my M5 front brakes just cuz I'm a nice guy. :D

Hey maybe we can deal, ""not"". Seriously thanks to everybody that contributed to my problem, I am not 100% convinced about what I actually have here but it looks like a 540i with M5 upgrade on the brakes and shocks. This car is lowered about 2" and looks very cool. My mechanic tells me now (go figure) that someone spent a ton on this car. I will see if my BMW dealer has these pads tomorrow and report back.

Again thanks everyone

Kalevera
02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, the front rotors are around $280 a piece, dealer only item and there are none in the country (US) -- don't know about in canada. There are 11 rears in the US, $230 a piece.

They *cannot* be machined, no M rotor should be and you might want to find a new mechanic if yours tries to cut them and put them back on the road.

In terms of pads: there should be alternatives to the textars, if there's a standardized pad code associated with it (I don't know). BMA may be able to get the OEM ones, otherwise NA has 23 front sets @ $209/set, zero sets of the rears @ $178.

That's a $4,000 brake system that Dinan used to mark up 100% and sell as an upgrade...so the car could be a legit M540 or simply a 540 with an expensive brake upgrade.

Either way, the parts aren't cheap, if you can find them.

best, whit

Kalevera
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, I'll convince you. Those brakes only came on some euro 3.8 cars, euro 850CSis, and aus/canadian M540s. There are probably less than 2,000 of that kit in existence installed as OEM equipment.

What's the car's VIN?

EDIT: US m540s don't have wbs vins, since it's not theoretically an M car. Don't know how the vin structure works with the canadian models...

best, whit

ceasarco
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually, the front rotors are around $280 a piece, dealer only item and there are none in the country (US) -- don't know about in canada. There are 11 rears in the US, $230 a piece.

They *cannot* be machined, no M rotor should be and you might want to find a new mechanic if yours tries to cut them and put them back on the road.

In terms of pads: there should be alternatives to the textars, if there's a standardized pad code associated with it (I don't know). BMA may be able to get the OEM ones, otherwise NA has 23 front sets @ $209/set, zero sets of the rears @ $178.

That's a $4,000 brake system that Dinan used to mark up 100% and sell as an upgrade...so the car could be a legit M540 or simply a 540 with an expensive brake upgrade.

best, whit

Thanks Whit I appreciate the input, but don't scare me, $4 Grand??

Scott H
02-20-2006, 04:43 PM
that setup is costly to maintain. I did 4 corners on my buddy's 1999 C43 AMG and it was a very similar idea. BMA was able to save him a ton over the dealership on parts, but the pads were unique and each rotor was a floater and directionally vented.......sweet, but costly

Ebay Germany listing for 850csi/E34M5 pads (same caliper) (http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-5er-M5-E34-und-850-CSI-E31-Bremsbelag-Satz-Neu_W0QQitemZ8039034264QQcategoryZ57407QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

and the rears as well (http://cgi.ebay.de/Bremsbelaege-BMW-E34-M5-E31-850CSI-Hinten_W0QQitemZ8038273914QQcategoryZ57396QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

angrypancake
02-20-2006, 05:04 PM

it would've been $4 grand if you had shelled out the $ yourself for the upgrade, if in fact it is an upgrade. your VIN will tell you (us) which it is. either way, just from those shots of the car in the shop its sweet looking. can't wait to see it when its back on the road.

Marshy
02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
If that's costly to maintain, the standard 540i seems to be not too far behind: last I tried even BMW couldn't find me a rear caliper in the UK, but could source one from Germany. None of the usual suspects (Euro Car Parts, GSF) could source the ATE (for they are the manufacturer) equivalent.

That makes me vervous...

DrewZ
02-21-2006, 05:00 AM
It should be easy to tell if the car's a legit M540 -- they had carbon fiber interior trim, and an individual plaque below the ashtray, indicating the production number (out of 32).

...so the car could be a legit M540 or simply a 540 with an expensive brake upgrade. . . .

best, whit

ceasarco
02-21-2006, 06:54 AM
If that's costly to maintain, the standard 540i seems to be not too far behind: last I tried even BMW couldn't find me a rear caliper in the UK, but could source one from Germany. None of the usual suspects (Euro Car Parts, GSF) could source the ATE (for they are the manufacturer) equivalent.

That makes me vervous...

Mystery solved, my BMW dealer tells me that my 540i is a rare model with M5factory installed upgraded braking system. They are ordering the pads for me. I almost fell of the couch when they told me the price, $364.00 for the set. I'll post some pics after I pick it up. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

angrypancake
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM

best, whit

I just got a hold of the US Alpina parts dealer. They sell the brakes from the b-10 bi turbo, which I believe is also a 4pot setup, similar to the m540. $4,735 plus shipping, for calipers, rotors, and pads.

Marshy
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Mystery solved, my BMW dealer tells me that my 540i is a rare model with M5factory installed upgraded braking system. They are ordering the pads for me. I almost fell of the couch when they told me the price, $364.00 for the set. I'll post some pics after I pick it up. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

I think my 92 540i has the same brakes at the 3.6 M5. Mine are single piston all round, but with what a mechanic friend described as the biggest single piston caliper he'd ever seen on a road car.

(Not that I'm sure there aren't bigger out there, but gives an idea of where the 540i brakes sit in the scheme of things.)

Scott H
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
we'll tell you. It may be the 850 single piston brakes....

I think my 92 540i has the same brakes at the 3.6 M5. Mine are single piston all round, but with what a mechanic friend described as the biggest single piston caliper he'd ever seen on a road car.

(Not that I'm sure there aren't bigger out there, but gives an idea of where the 540i brakes sit in the scheme of things.)

Marshy
02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Dunno what size the rotors are... but my car is not upgraded. I could have been making the 3.6 M5 thing up but I'm sure I heard my BMW service manager friend mention it. Given how few BMW of this age get to dealers in the UK, and how few of those are 540is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a faulty memory on his part :) (RealOEM certainly suggests so...)

ceasarco
03-11-2006, 07:30 AM

Finally got my car back yesterday. Turns out the $364.00 was for front pads only, rears were $116.00. My mechanic test drove the car after the brakes were finished and told me that the front lower control arms (both sides also needed replacing). Back to the BMW dealer ,they tell me, M5 suspension $444.00 for the left and $395.00 for the right, plus stabilizer links also. By now Im thinking second mortgage.
Did some research and located a supplier in Connecticut, gave him the part numbers and he calls me back and says he has the parts $402.00 total, shipping included. Wow finally something that didn't cost my first born.
Got the car back yesterday and hit the highway, what a dream ride.
Woke up this morning and went to get coffee and noticed the asc light came on and wouldn't go off. Started the car and the light was still on and no power to the engine. Shut off the car and restarted ( the light was off when restarting) drove home and shut it off. When I turned the key to start the car the asc light was on and the engine has no power. If its off when starting runs normally. I have researched this morning on this board and googled but no definative answer. I think the asc (abs) automaticaly cuts power to the wheels when this light in on. Brake senser or abs module???
Hope its an easy fix.
Here is a pic of the mystery 540i. Needs a wash I know, been garaged since November.