PDA

View Full Version : 30-40 mph shimmy

trumpetr
02-19-2006, 03:00 AM
My 95 525ia has developed a shimmy starting at 30 mphy,,,and drives out of it at about 40 mph,,,so, im thinking wheel bearings,,,,,,,problem is, i dont know wich,,,,,the steering wheel doesnt shake, but the vibration/shimmy is noticeable, and i cant pick out a corner its coming from, thoughts?

My car is a VERY clean 525ia, with 74k miles,,,,,im the second owner, and not all maint records are clear,,,for ref,,,its stock as far as wheels/tires/ suspension.
Following Bruno's advice, im going to do some preventative maint.,,,,radiator flush, tranny service, any other thoughts, suggestions?

pundit
02-19-2006, 03:45 AM
My 95 525ia has developed a shimmy starting at 30 mphy,,,and drives out of it at about 40 mph,,,so, im thinking wheel bearings,,,,,,,problem is, i dont know wich,,,,,the steering wheel doesnt shake, but the vibration/shimmy is noticeable, and i cant pick out a corner its coming from, thoughts?

My car is a VERY clean 525ia, with 74k miles,,,,,im the second owner, and not all maint records are clear,,,for ref,,,its stock as far as wheels/tires/ suspension.
Following Bruno's advice, im going to do some preventative maint.,,,,radiator flush, tranny service, any other thoughts, suggestions?
I'm thinking wheels, tyres, driveline. Thrust arm shimmy tends to occur around 50-60mph and is more pronounced when braking from that speed.
Have your wheels checked for balance and runout (or lumpy tyres).

wingman
02-19-2006, 04:03 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11879
See if this is similar. I've just bumped this thread so it is just below yours. We're bothing chasing the same thing!

Kdog2112
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
could be control arms....balance issue..alignment..could be tons of things.

trumpetr
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm thinking wheels, tyres, driveline. Thrust arm shimmy tends to occur around 50-60mph and is more pronounced when braking from that speed.
Have your wheels checked for balance and runout (or lumpy tyres).

Well, the wheels are the stock 15" bbs's,,,and the tires are michelins with about 75% left,,,,the same set up as when I got the car at 70k miles,,,bnow 4k later, this shimmy shows up. I hacent hit anu curbs or taken a pothole on,,,so i doubt the wheels/tires are the issue.

I realize it could be many things,,,,,its a real head scratcher.

trumpetr
02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11879
See if this is similar. I've just bumped this thread so it is just below yours. We're bothing chasing the same thing!

Thanks--- I read the thread,,,,but, my problem is a little different,,,,a light shimmy only betweeen 30 mph, and it drives out of it, at around 38 mph. I didnt hear any precursor noises or slams.

632 Regal
02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
wheel balance is the most likly culprit, a weight flew off?.

trumpetr
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
wheel balance is the most likly culprit, a weight flew off?.

Yeah, could be wheel weights,,,, Im going to put 18's on it soon,,,so, while looking, ill have them check the balalce on the wheels on it now. Just seems weird, that if its is a wheel balance issue,,,dont those usually show up at 55-60 mph, instead of 30 mph?

wingman
02-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah I clarified mine by saying that I have no noise either. I've changed the wheel for a balanced one and still have the issue. The tyre I took off was stuffed (uneven). The new one is brand new. I think you should check your pitman arms (dog bones). Mine are shot and will be replaced. There are plenty of threads and info on www.bmwe34.net in relation to these little blighters and what they can do to the rear end. Worth a go. About US$39.00 each from BMA and 30 mins per side to do.

trumpetr
02-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah I clarified mine by saying that I have no noise either. I've changed the wheel for a balanced one and still have the issue. The tyre I took off was stuffed (uneven). The new one is brand new. I think you should check your pitman arms (dog bones). Mine are shot and will be replaced. There are plenty of threads and info on www.bmwe34.net in relation to these little blighters and what they can do to the rear end. Worth a go. About US$39.00 each from BMA and 30 mins per side to do.

Thanks- Il have a look at them soon- its going in for a bit of preventiive maint soon,,,,oil change, tranny, and coolant change,,,so while on the lift, will have a look at suspension parts. Sure can be a bastard, chasing down those little vibrations and shimmys when they pop up, hey?