PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hi - ICE installs in Tourers

Mags
02-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, recently picked up a very nice '95 540 Tourer in the UK.
I've got some ICE equipment that I've used in the past few cars I've had (including an E34 535 a few years back) and I want to install it in the tourer, the head unit and front speakers are fine but I'm not sure if its easy to replace the speakers in the roof (and cable them back to the amp) and where to hide the amp and sub.
In my old E34 saloon the amp when under the boot floor with the sub on top but the amp could get hot and cut out so this is not ideal.

I've seen a tourer with what might be a custon built sub mounted where the CD Changer and PDC control lives, anyone got something like this?

Cheers
Mags:)

jjw
02-19-2006, 12:45 AM
I have mounted the amps in the area for the cd changer and left the sub-box, by ads two 10" in sealed box, right behind the rear seats, and still have reasonable space left.
About the rear roof speakers, they are easy to replace and run the wires. If I remember correctly, factory wire run in the c-pillers to the roof then back to the speakers.
What do you mean by ICE equipment? Does it let you connect aftermarket cd changer to factory head unit?

Rus
02-19-2006, 11:01 AM
ICE = In-Car Entertainment

Mags
02-20-2006, 02:59 AM
What I have is a nice Alpine cd Head unit (not really bothered about a remote changer), two component sets of speakers (the same size as the front footwell ones whatever that is) and a largish Phoenix Gold amp that powers them all. The Amp will probably fit in the CD changer location, it just means I have to go and replace all the power and speaker cables as they won't be long enough to reach as they are. The existing Sub I have is passive and was powered from one side of the amp being bridged, but my longer term plan was to either get an active sub or get a 2nd amp for the sub on its own and let the Phoenix Gold amp just power the components front and rear. The head unit has Front/Rear and Sub outputs so I just need a new line-out cable as well.

I guess the real question on the roof mounted rear speakers is will I be able to feed my own cable up to them? and it is actually worth putting some quality speakers in that place or will they just vibrate and cause horrible rattles?

Cheers

Mags

Jjcarr
02-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm in the process of installing a sub. I have an aftermarket head unit, and I was going to replace the factory amplifier, but I found a Kenwood powered sub that should fit in the CD changer compartment. Since my new head unit has sub outs this makes for a pretty clean install. I plan to get some 5.25 separates for the front and rear, but not just yet.

Basically I wanted a sub but want a stock appearance. One option was to remove the jack and other parts from the forward trunk space and put a custom box in there, but I didn't want to alter the car if I didn't have to.

When I get the sub installed I'll post some pics.

James
95 525it

jjw
02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
There is not much room in the roof for "high" quality speakers. IMHO, factory is good enough for the rear. And the clearance between the back of speaker and roof almost none. And it will shake the interior panel. But mine is a 92 525, so they might have update the design by 95 then.

All the factory speaker wire for the ten speaker system run near the cd changer location and the amp is located behind it. You will see a big bondle of wire running under the right tail light and to the back of the cd changer location, that's all the wire for speakers and power for the amp.

Jjcarr
02-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I've seen a tourer with what might be a custon built sub mounted where the CD Changer and PDC control lives, anyone got something like this?

Cheers
Mags:)

Here's a page that shows the sub install I did on my 525it.
http://www.geocities.com/jjcarr.geo/cars/bmw/subwoofer.html
Here's a pic
http://www.geocities.com/jjcarr.geo/cars/bmw/sub5.jpg

Mags
02-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks jjw and James, very helpful info, I didn't know the factory amp was fitted behind that panel.
Nice job James, looks factory!
I think I may mount my amp in this space but possibly go for a seperate sub box. I'll have to see if I can cover it in a matching carpet to the boot floor.
Its a long time since I had to buy heavy duty new power and speaker cable from a car audio place, I think I'm going to be in for a shock!
I might have to buy these under stealth so the wife doesn't know the cost ;-)

Mags