PDA

View Full Version : OT- Jetta head lights turns

Akhil
02-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey Guy,

Today at walmart parking lot when I was taking my car out from parking right in front lot there was a Jetta seems barand new prob. 2006. He was taking out his car at that same time. What I observed that when ever he turn his steering left or right his Xeon headlight turns with it left and right following front wheels. I never saw that in any car before. Did you guys ever see any car like this? It is only in VW cars and Bimmer and other lux. left behind? Just curious..

Thanks
Akhil

angrypancake
02-18-2006, 09:46 PM
i believe lexus was the first to come out with it, they used to have sweet commercials saying their headlights rotated 35 degrees or so. a lot of car makers are copying it now, since everyone bites off each other. cool innovation though.

Alexlind123
02-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I think it might have been in some cars long ago.

Akhil
02-18-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think it was possibal until Xeon lens came out. since xeon lens is small in size and kinda big LED bulb. I read an artical about some auto makers are testing LED to use as head light and data transfer (like stop, distance mesure, collision prevention etc) to the car ahead on the same principle fiber optics works.

That would be really cool. You wouldn't be able to hit a car ahead even it you want to becoz your car will apply the brake even it you press gas. :)

Akhil

GoldenEagleFan
02-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I am hesitant to post my thoughts becuase it will show my age.

In my previous job life I worked as a Senior Director in Engineering for a major domestic outboard engine company (Starts with M, by the way was deeply involved in the 2.6L, supercharged I6 engine, Verado).

Anyway, some data we retrieved from ECU's of our top HP outboard engine showed 45% of the time the engine was running was at idle to 1,500 rpm.

The point is the general publics perception of what they want and what they actuallly need is far from being aligned. Iv'e seem some threads on why the E34 is so popular. In my opinion is is that engineering balance between what is possible and what is required in day to day life. I don't need steering headlights at 25 MPH, in fact I don't want them as it is a source of repair later in life.

KISS Keep it Simple Stupid is what I want. If I need steering headlights on the streets of the US I am driving too fast for conditions and should be thrown in jail. Join SCAA and do it in a parking lot or rent your local track.

angrypancake
02-18-2006, 10:32 PM
you shouldnt feel hesitant to post your thoughts, as all opinions matter here and are taken into account. unless youre a complete moron. as for the age thing, there are old, young, and in the middle. i do agree with the join scaa part, always a good point. steering headlights are sweet though, if you're on an unfamiliar road at 1am in bumble**** countryside, they could possibly prevent a deer vs car collision, no? speed might not have much to do with that.

Alexlind123
02-18-2006, 10:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_DS

"The headlights swivelled with the steering wheel (not allowed in the USA at the time so a fixed light version was made for the US market) allowing the driver to see around turns."

GoldenEagleFan
02-18-2006, 10:42 PM
OK, I can see your point. But on a lighter side, if you are on an unfamiliar road at 1:00 AM, worried about deer, than you've likley been up to no good of some sort and should be extra "cautious".

Akhil
02-18-2006, 10:46 PM
but lux car still consider that 1% use, if any and they charge top $ for their cars and ppl are ready to pay for it just to feel good. Its all part or matterialistic and commercial world. And most ppl who buy these cars for these features do not keep it after more than 5 yrs. so they don't worry about repair.

I felt the need of steering head light when I was driving from San Francisco to Houston on those I-10 dark curves but was able to manage with high beam though.

Akhil

GoldenEagleFan
02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
This is a subject close to the heart. What we need versus what we want. I appreciate that there are times where "features" that allow us to travel at a higher rate of speed. But please consider that the Daytona 500 will likely be won by mere tenths of a second. Does it really matter if you get to the in-laws house a minute early? Personally, kerosene lamps for lights would be fine. I amgoing on ecord as saying technology needs to be balance with the real need. If you want a low cost vehicle, give up what you really don't use.

Akhil
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
40 yrs (aprox.) ago founde rof HP (or Apple not sure) side "Why the hell some one want to have a computer in his home?" But today you can't live w/o it. Some goes with cell phones. 20 yr ago did you fee need to call a person when you are going to his house. but today you do it and say "Hey I am right in your driveway" :) or for directions. :)

Just my opinion.

Akhil

Rodericb
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
If memory serves me right, I believe that the Tucker Automobile in the late 40's had a headlight that turned with the steering wheel. Actually Tucker was the first automobile to have seat belts and pop out front window shields too.

SharkmanBMW
02-18-2006, 11:45 PM
If you want a low cost vehicle, give up what you really don't use.

who said BMW was a low cost vehicle???!!!

and angrypancake is right... if you can see better at night, I for one want it.
Not to go faster, to be safer, that is the purpose.
Why did you think it is so we can drive faster?

Paul in NZ
02-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I think cords had swivelling headlights too???.Windy roads in he middle of the night deserve lights that swivel...maybe in the future we will have lights that shine where we look....And yeah Citroen had them in the late late 50,s

Oxford5er
02-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay, I can answer this. The 1948 Tucker Torpedo had two normal headlights, and a central swivelling headlight. It was made for only one year, and the company was founded by Preston Tucker, who was an inventor.

As for the Volkswagen, it was a PASSAT. The Jettas come with xenons, but the Passat is the VW available with swivelling xenons. TRUST ME. There is only one car that I love more than BMW, and that is Volkswagen. I've been a devout VW fan since I was barely TWO. BTW, there is a commercial on TV with a Passat and a bicyclist, and the driver follows the biker as they both make turns, and the xenon (not LED) headlights swivel around each turn to illuminate the way for the biker. They come to a stop, and the biker waves thanks, and a rabbit hops across the street in front of them, illuminated by the xenons, perhaps (and most likely) as a reference to the 1974-1984 Rabbit, aka Mark I Golf.

Kobe Diesel
02-19-2006, 01:23 PM
my father's old mercury sables had that feature

digitaldragon03
02-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Its dog eat dog out there. If Lexus comes out with swiveling headlights in their cars, the other luxury brands have to have it too or else its one more step towards being less competative. Plus, BMW gets to charge you about a grand more.

Don
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone emember the Tucker? 3 headlights. The one in the center turned with the car. Circa 1947

mattyb
02-19-2006, 11:55 PM
since they see the widdle bunny wabbit so well do they take the bastard out?

Paul in NZ
02-20-2006, 02:14 AM
did a little bitty bunny rabbit eat your watch battery Matty.....:p

mattyb
02-20-2006, 02:25 AM
lol

Oxford5er
02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
my father's old mercury sables had that feature

The Mercury Sable and many other cars have cornering lights on the sides of the bumpers that light up when you engage the turn signal so you can see the corner better, but the Sable did not have swivelling lights...Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

And no, they didn't run over the wittle wabbit...

Akhil
02-21-2006, 08:04 AM
my 1993 Oldesmobile has connering light which lightup only when you turn on you left or right turn indicator, but that not helpful if you are driving on jusr curve road and not turning. Aslo that light is not powerful enough which let you see any thing other than you are already seeing from headloght. So its just fancy feature but no practical use. :(

Akhil

Tiger
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
MB E class was the first to come out with it in 2003.

DaCan23
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
My E34 sorta has it.... as one of my lamps has about 3/4 inch of play and when I go around corners the G's push or pull it out.....

dacoyote
02-21-2006, 01:08 PM
My E34 sorta has it.... as one of my lamps has about 3/4 inch of play and when I go around corners the G's push or pull it out.....

LOL.... thats a feature my front end has....