PDA

View Full Version : M30B35 - What's this connector/cable?

grr
02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2238/cimg20377ua.jpg

Anyone know what this connector/cable is or does?

Scott H
02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
towards the front and hooks up with the oil level sender in the bottom of the oil pan if I recall correctly.

grr
02-18-2006, 11:51 AM
towards the front and hooks up with the oil level sender in the bottom of the oil pan if I recall correctly.
... can you tell me why the hell the previous owner of my 535 connected it to the throttle housing sensor as well?! :D

Bought a E34 535i with an E28 M535i-engine.. The previous owner never got it running. Lotsa weird connections here. E34 535i cabling and E34 535i ECU..

Scott H
02-18-2006, 11:54 AM
the one you circled should be two pin. are you positive it was connected to the TPS? it runs up to the same area that the TPS wire is at but it's not a similar wire. The engine wiring harness has multiple plugs/fittings but each can only be plugged in to one thing as they are all unique.

... can you tell me why the hell the previous owner of my 535 connected it to the throttle housing sensor as well?! :D

Bought a E34 535i with an E28 M535i-engine.. The previous owner never got it running. Lotsa weird connections here. E34 535i cabling and E34 535i ECU..

Jeff N.
02-18-2006, 12:14 PM
It's pretty much impossible to cross connect the harness plugs as each plug is unique. Of course, since you have an E28 engine in the E34 some strange things might be plausable.

Scott's correct in that plug is for the oil level sensor. The harness from there runs up into the cable tray the sits above the injectors and from there to the main harness to the back of the firewall.

grr
02-18-2006, 12:37 PM
The connectors aren't there. They've been cut of and the cable coming from the fuel rail has been extended and connected to the TPS.

http://sublime.stud.hive.no/535-rot/CIMG2082.JPG

http://sublime.stud.hive.no/535-rot/CIMG2080.JPG

It's an engine from a '87 E28 M535iA, with a E28 535i manual gear box, E34 wiring harness and I'm also going to use an ECU from a '89 E34 535iA, in a E34.

As I said the previous owner never got it running, and there seems to be several reasons for this..

For example this power cable wasn't connected:
http://sublime.stud.hive.no/535-rot/CIMG2031.JPG

Also I'm trying to swap the "driving belt wheel" (not sure if this is the correct term in english) and it's sensor to ones from an E34, because the E28 one lacks all the tooths for the sensor to read of:
http://sublime.stud.hive.no/535-rot/CIMG2075.JPG

And I'm swapping the sensor on the throttle body (the E28 one has a couple of hoses connected which the E34 one didn't have, therefor I'm going to use the E28 throttle body). The E28 sensor only has three pins, the E34 has six..

Scott H
02-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Pro-ject

grr
02-18-2006, 05:22 PM
the one you circled should be two pin.
It's definitely a three pin. And the picture is NOT from the E28 engine. It's from a working '89 E34 535i engine. If you don't have a three pin there, there might be differences from year to year, or differences between EU and US models.

The engine wiring harness has multiple plugs/fittings but each can only be plugged in to one thing as they are all unique.

It's pretty much impossible to cross connect the harness plugs as each plug is unique.
It's quite strange you both says this, cause there's a whole bunch of identical plugs on both my M30 engines, both with E34 wiring harness, one is 100% original. All the three pin plugs goes together fine. For example both the ones on the fuel rail, the oil level one, and probably others..

Pro-ject
Oh yeah.. :) Got it cheap. If I don't get it working I'll swap the engine with one I've got "lying around" that's working and sell the M535 one.

Jeff N.
02-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Looks like a mess. The more I think about it, the more messy it gets. I would think:

1) You want to use the E28 ECU, not the E34 ECS to match the engine.
2) You have an E34 engine harness. Does it pin out to the E28 motronic? I would guess not.
3) That pic of the TPS seems to show a manual TPS but the screw harness laying next to it would be for the automatic version. What E34 engine harness do you have?
4) If someone cut of the wiring harness loom that drops from the injector tray, you would loose...hmmm...the O2 sensor wires, the starting solenoid wires, the oil pan sensor wires...hmmm...and maybe some of the alternator wires but I'm not sure on those. Would have to look on mine. That's quite a mess for sure.
5) Didn't the E28 have the CPS off the flywheel and not the front of the engine? I suppose this is why you're trying to move the E34 pulley to the E28 engine?
6) do you have the driveline connected? I once tried to install an E28 tranny into an E34 and the driveline won't bolt up. The output shaft length is different on the E28 - longer.

Hmmm...as Scott said...you have a real pro-ject. I would almost think it would be easier and cheaper to a) buy an E34 engine and harness and plug that into you chassis and b) sell the E28 engine. You're going to end up with an underpowered, bastardized E34 when you're all done with it.

winfred
02-18-2006, 05:51 PM
it is a 3 pin on e34/32s and there is lotsa stuff that will cross plug and if you don't beleave that take the intake off of the m50, the wire lengths will usually help with what goes where and on a old harness they will be bent in mostly the correct direction. had to fix a m50 where some goober did some work on it and kept frying computers, popped 3 or 4 before he finally brought it in for us to do it right, had a ton of stuff cross plugged

grr
02-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Jeff:

3. Seems like an automatic engine harness.
4. It's only the oil level plug thats been cut off. Three blue cables.
5. Correct.
6. Yes, it's a E28 535i manual gear box on it. There's been done some work either to shorten or lengthen the axle. This was done before I bought "the project".

I've already got an E34 engine laying around, with a complete drivetrain and front and back axle.. it's the backup plan. But i'd prefer to get this E28 engine running, because the E34 engine was originally bought to convert the 520i to a 535ia.

Why would the E28-engined E34 end up underpowered?

genphreak
02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
6. Yes, it's a E28 535i manual gear box on it. There's been done some work either to shorten or lengthen the axle. This was done before I bought "the project".

> Don't you mean drive shaft? Be sure to check its length with an expert- they do not have any room for mistakes, if it was not calculated perfectly you might hit a bump and lose everything including your rear passengers :)

I've already got an E34 engine laying around, with a complete drivetrain and front and back axle.. it's the backup plan. But I'd prefer to get this E28 engine running, because the E34 engine was originally bought to convert the 520i to a 535ia. Why would the E28-engined E34 end up underpowered?

A: Different cam, injectors, chip and throttle body, AFM spring, exhaust- on the e34 a lot of this was changed to improve torque so it would shift the extra bulk of the e34. Injectors, cam and chip were upsized to maintain highway performance (ie ensure it still managed the same 220kph speed) and as close as possible 0-100 times without destroying economy (which did increase a bit).

You might check to make sure the compression may have changed a tad too, perhaps the pistons and head were a little different. I know some e28 535s (M30B35) were fitted with slightly smaller valves (on one side), though this makes practically no difference- it was probably due to a parts/supplier tweak or change. The main thing is pistons and head- I suspect the chambers in the M30B34 head are the same as the M30B35 let alone there be any differences in the M30B35 production.

With your e28 motor you will find that your economy may well be marginally better in some cases, but probably not in stop-start driving. I doubt the performance will be as well rounded as a real e34 setup. Should I be wrong and the engine be essentially the same, dumping the AFM (or changing its spring), an e34 cam and ECU might fix things somewhat. Is your ECU Motronic 1.3? Check its part number online to find out if you are unsure. I don't know if you can run 1.1 with a e34 cam or vice versa, even if you are using the correct eeprom chip for the cam. I suspect 1.1 chips mean e28 cam and 1.3 require an e34 cam. Perhaps you would be better off changing out the ECU to a MegaSquirt (http://www.megasquirt.org) since you already have the wiring headaches happening over there. Best of luck :) Nick

Jeff N.
02-18-2006, 07:30 PM
... which I'm familiar with, the M30B35 engine (E34) vs. the M30B34 engine (E28) had a significant power difference. The B35 motor is rated at like 205HP , 215 ft/lbs torque. The B34 motor was about 180HP and 180 torque. (all from memory). Physical diffs include compression ratios, intake port size, intake valve size, cam, and ECU.

You mentioned you had a M535 engine and seem to be non-US. Is it a eurospec engine? If so, I believe the power will be similiar to the US spec B35.

Jeff:

3. Seems like an automatic engine harness.
4. It's only the oil level plug thats been cut off. Three blue cables.
5. Correct.

I've already got an E34 engine laying around, with a complete drivetrain and front and back axle.. it's the backup plan. But i'd prefer to get this E28 engine running, because the E34 engine was originally bought to convert the 520i to a 535ia.

Why would the E28-engined E34 end up underpowered?

Paul in NZ
02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
He is in Noeway according to his profile so Euro engine.Dont know if he means M535 which the e28 did come in or just a cooking manual 535

Scott H
02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
but I guess my point was that on an untouched wiring harness, there is no way that should hook up to the TPS.......each connector is unique.

It's definitely a three pin. And the picture is NOT from the E28 engine. It's from a working '89 E34 535i engine. If you don't have a three pin there, there might be differences from year to year, or differences between EU and US models.

grr
02-19-2006, 07:29 AM
... which I'm familiar with, the M30B35 engine (E34) vs. the M30B34 engine (E28) had a significant power difference. The B35 motor is rated at like 205HP , 215 ft/lbs torque. The B34 motor was about 180HP and 180 torque. (all from memory). Physical diffs include compression ratios, intake port size, intake valve size, cam, and ECU.

You mentioned you had a M535 engine and seem to be non-US. Is it a eurospec engine? If so, I believe the power will be similiar to the US spec B35.
It's all euro over here. :)

The E28 M535i(A) has 218hp, and the E34 535i has 211hp, both with 300-320Nm. I'm guessing the 7hp difference is mostly because of the catalyzer on the E34, so the engines are probably pretty much the same allthough I think the E28 engine has somewhat higher compression than the one from the E34. They're both 3430ccms. The E28 also had an older version of Motronic, but with the E34 sensors and the E34 wiring harness I'm hoping it's all good..

grr
02-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Woohoo! It's alive! :D

It dies on idle and the timing is "a bit" off, but it starts and runs fine otherwise. Looks good!

genphreak
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Woohoo! It's alive! :D It dies on idle and the timing is "a bit" off, but it starts and runs fine otherwise. Looks good!Great news dude, check your o2 sensor is working properly, I think more or less any e32/e28/e34 sensor will do. After that, its simply a matter of making sure your Fuel pressure is regulated properly and the ECU is getting the temp feed right. I had a problem with my old euro e28 with conking out- BMW changed the brake bomb (accumulator) and that fixed it. The vacuum was being loist through it... so be sure to check all the vitals before doing too much, its easier to work back from something solid. :) keep us updated now... :) Nick

grr
02-22-2006, 07:22 AM
I got the idle sorted out when I got the sensor on the pulley in the correct position, but the rough idle is still a problem. There's a new thread about it. Thanks for good advices!