PDA

View Full Version : 535i Engine Problem

Rory535i
03-16-2004, 05:36 PM
I need some help fixing my poor beemer! There's a problem with #1 cylinder. The exhaust valve is stuck closed(i think) so it's only firing on the other 5. I think the lifter/follower is stuck. There was always a bit of a tapping noise and now it's ten times worse. I haven't taken anything apart yet to look at it so I can't be sure. I've done a compression test on all the cylinders and they're all at the compression they should be including #1 which leads me to believe the exhaust valve is stuck closed. If it is the follower can I take it out and change it without taking the head off?? If anyone has any ideas or solutions I would really appreciate it. My email's rory_phillips@hotmail.com
Also are there any websites where I can download guides to stripping the head down or some sort of a service manual?? Thanks for any help.

George M
03-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Likely your exhaust valve isn't stuck closed. The M-30 has solid lifters and if no.1 exhaust valve is closed, then you have a broken rocker arm. I would lift up the valve cover and have a look to see if all the valves are opening and closing as the should and look for any damage or oil starvation. Check the oil bar banjo bolts..make sure they are snug...do NOT overtighten...if they are loose either add loctite 242 or replace them with the latest bolts.
Your valves may be out of adjustment, you may have a worn cam...you may have a failing eccentric etc...or a broken rocker. Oil starvation due to common loose banjo bolts can contribute to all but the valves being out of adjustment.
HtH,
George