PDA

View Full Version : Clean, low miles 535iM in Manassas VA

Alan_525i
02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
No association with the seller, just looked like a nice one so I figured I'd pass it on.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=196136109&dealer_id=53779732&car_year=1991&search_type=both&make=BMW&transmission=Manual&distance=0&model=535I&address=19087&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=100000&max_price=&bkms=1140212741168&min_price=&end_year=1995&color=&start_year=1990&drive=&isp=y&engine=&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=143

hakwuzhere
02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
If I could afford to have a bunch of E34's around I would drive out and look at that (about 20 mins from me) but that looks sweet.

mholbrook
02-17-2006, 07:08 PM
The guy that wants to put $12k in a 525 should spend $400 for an airplane ticket and go buy that car. Always start with the best candidate you can find. Hard to find a 535 manual trans car with low mileage. The big six will last forever and ever and ever.

Johntee540
02-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Hawk - I am in Reston where are you? - JT

hakwuzhere
02-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Im in Arlington :) you ever hit up any of the regional forums over at BF.c? Or go to CCA meets? Was at one last night in Rockville.

632 Regal
02-18-2006, 12:15 AM
578.36 miles humphffff

smcgowan
02-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm calling on Monday about this ride. What questions besides the following do I need to ask about this 535? I know the questions about the 525 since I already own one. This ride will not replace the 525, but rather my older honda.

1: service records always....
2: Being that old the Radiator would be a concern.
3: I heard something about banjo bolts on the cam shaft needing to be replaced. premature cam shaft wear.
4: Upper thrust bearings. shimmy
5: Overheated? Leakdown test perhaps?

Can anyone take a test drive and give me a call. If all checks out I'll rent car and drive the 4hours up from NC to pick her up..

Scott

email me please... I will be asking or the carfax..

angrypancake
02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
here's a big ass list of questions. thanks to Gayle for this list. speaking of which where's she been? still at the gym?

1. Under what circumstances do you drive the car? Is it your daily driver? Rough roads, city, highway, what?

2. When it was driven in the winter, what was the weather and the roads like at the time? (I lived in Cleveland for 9 years, and I know that all winter driving is not equal).

3. Has it ever overheated?

4. Does it shimmy under any circumstances?

5. Timing belt been replaced?

6. What symptoms made you replace the clutch?

7. Who did the upgrades? Did you do them or have someone else do them?

8. Is it lowered?

9. What kind and weight oil have you used in it? How often changed?

10. What kind of coolant have you used? How often has it been changed?

11. Where did you get the wheels?

12. Has the air conditioning been retro fitted?

13. What did the mechanic tell you about the rocker arm breaking? Any thoughts on what might have caused that?

14. What is not working perfectly?
I presume you have seen the list of "what will break." what will break? (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm)

15. What kind of leaks does it have?

16. What were you planning to replace/repair next?

17. How many miles on the tires?

18. Any dents?

19. What kind of shape are the rims in?

20. Where are the scratches? How long/deep? How did they get there?

21. Ever been in a wreck?

22. I am sure your car is better than mine in every way, but my car's strength is the condition of its interior so it makes me wonder what you are critical of about your interior. Please describe the condition of the leather. What color is the carpet.

23. What kind of gasoline have you used?

hakwuzhere
02-19-2006, 06:46 PM
After you contact them if your still interested in getting someone to test drive I might be able to get out there one evening this week.

bahnstormer
02-19-2006, 07:06 PM
my 91 doesnt have that t/c switch

was it b/c mine didn't have the winter package?

Johntee540
02-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Havent hung out on BF.com - I bet my sound guy was over at the Meet in Rockville. He is out of Montgomery village. Let me know if you go test drive this puppy - I can meet you out there - JT

Johntee540
02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
let me know if you go - I will show up too. We can give the sales guy a team tag beat down in prep for SMCGowan's arrival :) - JT

hakwuzhere
02-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Your sound guy? I stopped by the Rockville meet but I was the only 5er guy there.

Johntee540
02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
No - Chris is definitely an e46 guy. his car is tweaked with sound and video toys. He even has Xenon Reverse lights. Next time I may have to run out. - JT

hakwuzhere
02-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Ahh, was curious... I work for MyerEmco A/V ;)

smcgowan
02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a board member taking her for a test drive Tuesday (Thanks Brian) The seller's Indy's just did 2k worth of work to the baby:) I have his number and will be calling him tomorrow to see what work was done. Unless the test driver and inspection shows problems, She will be mine Saturday. If that's the case any Metro people want to meet for a few beers?

hakwuzhere
02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I have to meet with some clients early on Saturday, but I should be around in the afternoon. Youve got my cell # :)

smcgowan
02-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Alan ... For seeing this and bringing it to our attention.

hakwuzhere .. For going by and looking over the old girl. I owe you a beer/lunch if you can make it tomorrow.

I'll be loading the baby on the autotransport tomorrow. The car has one thing wrong that the pictures do not show. The transmission is not attached!
I brought her with the 5-speed/clutch issues. And no a didn't pay the list price..hehe.. I figured I'd take her back to my local Shade Tree and get her fixed by someone that knows what and the hell they are doing. The car was towed in because she wouldn't start. Looking at the parts they threw into her to get her running, there was no way I wanted their Indy to continue.

So if you see a Island green 535 being trailered going south on I85 tomorrow it little ole me...

Scott McGowan

billb
02-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Alan ... For seeing this and bringing it to our attention.

hakwuzhere .. For going by and looking over the old girl. I owe you a beer/lunch if you can make it tomorrow.

I'll be loading the baby on the autotransport tomorrow. The car has one thing wrong that the pictures do not show. The transmission is not attached!
I brought her with the 5-speed/clutch issues. And no a didn't pay the list price..hehe.. I figured I'd take her back to my local Shade Tree and get her fixed by someone that knows what and the hell they are doing. The car was towed in because she wouldn't start. Looking at the parts they threw into her to get her running, there was no way I wanted their Indy to continue.

So if you see a Island green 535 being trailered going south on I85 tomorrow it little ole me...

Scott McGowan

Lemme know if I can help once you get her home.

Evan
02-23-2006, 03:14 PM
right on! congrats and good luck

hakwuzhere
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Congrats man!! Like I told you, Im jeleous(sp?) of her condition (other than missing transmission) :)

Im with clients from about 3pm to 5pm tommorow, but if its after that Id be happy to meet up.