PDA

View Full Version : OT - Olympics

DaCan23
02-17-2006, 09:25 AM
So tell the truth, is anyone else happy to see when the super hyped olympic athletes screw up and dont win gold or any medal at all.

I hate those Visa Lindsey Jacobellis commercials and those only reason she's in them is it's a young cute olympic athlete.... and I'm glad she didnt get gold, but no medal would of been better.... stop showing off next time you schwag..

I remember back in the 90's the huge nike push about Dan & Dave... and neither won a medal right... that started it all...

dacoyote
02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
I love to see them fall.. to mess up... even more so if they are overly confident...

Like tomatto head from the US snowboarding team messing up his first run...

632 Regal
02-17-2006, 10:17 AM
anyone see the china skating team? she fell HARD and still eventually finished, think they got the silver.

dacoyote
02-17-2006, 10:18 AM
anyone see the china skating team? she fell HARD and still eventually finished, think they got the silver.

Yeah....

tim
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
shadenfreude

def: the perverse delight experienced by people at the misfortune of others, especially in the case of people who are celebrities or endowed by society with status, wealth, ability, or favor.

The opposite is the near universal adoration of the underdog winner, who despite long odds, misfortune, lack of status etc, triumphs.

These emotions must be a legacy of our pre-cultural primitive emotional development, as they are nearly universal across cultures in the world. They are ingrained in our myths. I wonder what kind of advantage it conferred on our ancestors? Is it merely jealousy? Why has our genetic evolution so obviously selected for it? There must be an advantage.

That's my deep thought for the day.

calmloki
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Just guessing, but what you describe urges pack or herd behavior: one who succeeds beyond the norm or lags behind is urged to come into compliance with the rest of the herd. Where's Gayle when we need her to explain this stuff?
Tom

dacoyote
02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
....Where's Gayle when we need her to explain this stuff?
Tom

At the gym

Jay 535i
02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I like to watch them fall, too.

I read an interesting article yesterday talking about how the winter olympics are inherently racist. At first I thought it was garbage, but as I read on it seemed to make sense.

I mean, the sports represented are those favored by the richest (usually the whitest) nations. A disproportionate number of snow-less countries are poor. If Ghana was richer, maybe diamond-digging would be a winter olympic sport. What chance does Ghana have at winning a giant slalom or luge medal?

I thought it was a good point.

angrypancake
02-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Jamaican bobsled team!!

Zeuk in Oz
02-18-2006, 03:41 AM
So tell the truth, is anyone else happy to see when the super hyped olympic athletes screw up and dont win gold or any medal at all.

I hate those Visa Lindsey Jacobellis commercials and those only reason she's in them is it's a young cute olympic athlete.... and I'm glad she didnt get gold, but no medal would of been better.... stop showing off next time you schwag..

I remember back in the 90's the huge nike push about Dan & Dave... and neither won a medal right... that started it all...
Some things in life just fall into place though - the Swedish Womens Ice Hockey team made it to the final at the expense of team USA !

Way to go !! :p

Heja Sverige ! :D

Jay 535i
02-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Does anyone remember the last Winter Olympics? I was just dating my wife at the time, and she's Australian. I remember teasing her about the Aussie who won a speed skating medal by virtue of being the only person to not fall on the last lap. He was so far behind the melee that he escaped and won.

Zeuk in Oz
02-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Does anyone remember the last Winter Olympics? I was just dating my wife at the time, and she's Australian. I remember teasing her about the Aussie who won a speed skating medal by virtue of being the only person to not fall on the last lap. He was so far behind the melee that he escaped and won.
His name is Stephen Bradbury and "doing a Bradbury" has now entered into Australian slang for winning by letting others fail ahead of you. :D

mattyb
02-18-2006, 05:26 PM
That was a great moment in sport and well deserved with such a brilliant strategy in place. as roy and hg say, forget the coolangatta gold go for the bermagui bronze!

GJPinAU
02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
His name is Stephen Bradbury and "doing a Bradbury" has now entered into Australian slang for winning by letting others fail ahead of you. :D
I was going to reply to this but I was waiting to see what others had to say first ;)

mattyb
02-18-2006, 05:29 PM
the only thing that would have made it better was if he a cigarette and a beer as he crossed the finish line.

mattyb
02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
a little ot here guys, but one quick question as I am not knowledgable in this area. I have always thought of quails as tiny little birds, so would u normally hunt them with a shotgun?

Zeuk in Oz
02-18-2006, 05:36 PM
a little ot here guys, but one quick question as I am not knowledgable in this area. I have always thought of quails as tiny little birds, so would u normally hunt them with a shotgun?
Have you ever tried to eat one ? All bones and no meat - yuk ! :p
Don't bother killing them - leave them alone ! :D

mattyb
02-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I did my trade as a chef years ago so ive had a few of the little fellas. I just cant imagine what they must look like after being wacked with a shotgun. But now I concede that they should be left alone same as lobsters/crays and the like. nice to see your car Zuek!

Zeuk in Oz
02-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I did my trade as a chef years ago so ive had a few of the little fellas. I just cant imagine what they must look like after being wacked with a shotgun. But now I concede that they should be left alone same as lobsters/crays and the like. nice to see your car Zuek!

They almost didn't let me in ;) . What !!! An M20 with bottletops and standard suspension ????? :D

Didn't have anyone wanting to take it for a spin though, so saved the tyres ! :p

wingman
02-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Yes shotguns are good for quails. You need to get spread because they're fast little buggers. Using a really fine 12 gauge shot or even better a .410 shotgun does the trick.
The thing that always amazes me about the Olympics is that we all become instant experts on EVERY sport contested. I found myself disagreeing with the judges in the Womens downhill shortcourse artistic luge time trial medley relay. I mean WTF were they thinking?