PDA

View Full Version : cant find battery terminals under hood

mastermind
02-17-2006, 08:15 AM
just picked up a new (to me) 1989 535i yesterday. Stupid dealer gave it to me with a virtually dead battery so I need to boost. I know that the battery is under the rear seat but my e30 (previous car) had terminals under the hood, i cant find them on the e34...whats with that? are they even existant or am I just blind?

Scott C
02-17-2006, 08:26 AM
just picked up a new (to me) 1989 535i yesterday. Stupid dealer gave it to me with a virtually dead battery so I need to boost. I know that the battery is under the rear seat but my e30 (previous car) had terminals under the hood, i cant find them on the e34...whats with that? are they even existant or am I just blind?

My 95 525 has a capped + terminal that is RED and located near the aux pump/heater valve assembly. On mine it is about 12" or so from the firewall on the drivers side (US). Not sure about yours and not sure how many experts are online to give you better info, hopefully this helps.
Scott

Randell
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
there's a positive terminal under the hood, in my RHD model it's on the passenger side near the fuse box and has a cap over it.. just ground it on any unpainted bit of the car, i connect mine to one of the strut bolt thingies..

Jay 535i
02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
there's a positive terminal under the hood, in my RHD model it's on the passenger side near the fuse box and has a cap over it.. just ground it on any unpainted bit of the car, i connect mine to one of the strut bolt thingies..

Just to make that a bit clearer...

Put the positive jumper on the positive terminal, which you will find under the hood. Ground the negative jumper -- on the strut bolt is best.

Sorry, Randell, the way you said it wasn't 100% clear and I didn't want Mastermind frying his ride :)

Paul in NZ
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/engine%20right.jpg

up in the top lh corner behind the diagnostic plug and in front of the fuse box,the hollow hex nut ...

Randell
02-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Just to make that a bit clearer...

Put the positive jumper on the positive terminal, which you will find under the hood. Ground the negative jumper -- on the strut bolt is best.

Sorry, Randell, the way you said it wasn't 100% clear and I didn't want Mastermind frying his ride :)

yes, grounding the positive terminal bad idea! :)

Jr ///M5
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1402.jpg

Look at the upper left, behind the diagnostic connector. You will see a cover with the "+" sign on it in red. If your cover is missing, the round copper colored connection can easily be seen. And yes, that's the positive connection. It's the same for all E34's.

digitaldragon03
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
You just wanted to show your nice clean engine bay didnt you?

632 Regal
02-18-2006, 12:09 AM
his picture was exempted for me, Junior I hope you fix that dirty ass brake fluid filler leak I saw 2 years ago...you look away for a minute and he lets the car go to shambles...
You just wanted to show your nice clean engine bay didnt you?

Javier
02-18-2006, 06:03 AM
feel ashamed?

Javier

Paul in NZ
02-18-2006, 03:00 PM
sheesh....

mastermind
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
thanks a ton for the help. My engine is pretty old and dirty so i couldn't see any plus signs or anthing and i just picked up the car a couple days ago. So now that i know where it is i'll find it when i get home tonight...

Thanks again.