PDA

View Full Version : I need you more than ever.......$hit

Dave M
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Last night was supposed to be a good one. I had a friend drop by to maneuver the exhaust on. We added the fluids, hooked up the battery, triple checked the things I double checked, and finally crossed our fingers.

EDIT: maybe I should add some context for those who don't know what I'm doing. I've swapped out an M50 block and just got it back together.

Initially, I was elated at the speed with which it started. After sitting around in pieces for a number of months, it only took a few cranks to push fuel and start. The idle was understandable rough for the first few seconds, but all appeared well and I was, for the moment, happy.

Then $hithead says “is that supposed to wobble like that?” And I say, “have another beer Andrew.” Turns out, the little prick was definitely on to something. Looking at the crankshaft nut and harmonic balancer, both were doing a synchronized ‘out of round’ dance. The engine was also noticeably shaking (subtly, but definitely associated with the wobble).

So, what could I be into here? Did I buy a bum block? Is there anything I could have done that would cause this? I mentioned earlier that I removed the AC system, which eliminates the compressor and a pulley. To rule out the lop-sided tension as a factor, I installed the compressor, pulley and belt. No dice.

I’m not super interested in removing a block again, but what the hey, practice makes perfect. Depending on the feedback here, I may be making a friendly phone call to the shop that rebuilt (new rings, one piston, main and rod bearings) and sold me the block.

So, I hope to drive my car one day,

Dave M

dacoyote
02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Darn... that sucks man

Bill R.
02-17-2006, 08:03 AM
bad damper but it usually affects how it runs too... but if you can see the crank nut wobbling then somebody bent the end of the crank... not a good thing. If thats the case then the front seal should be leaking real soon now.. assuming the bend goes that far back. You'll probably have to show the shop that did the work for them to believe and...and as a last choice scenario you can try and straighten it in the car with a big dead blow mallet and a long piece of wood or a brass bar.. but if this is done badly then the end of the crank can break ,which may already be cracked anyway..On other cars i have managed to straighten a bent one without damage but its always a last choice for someone who dgaf and wants to try anything short of pulling the motor again. But if you paid someone for a good motor i'd be tempted to pull it and let them replace it.

Last night was supposed to be a good one. I had a friend drop by to maneuver the exhaust on. We added the fluids, hooked up the battery, triple checked the things I double checked, and finally crossed our fingers.

EDIT: maybe I should add some context for those who don't know what I'm doing. I've swapped out an M50 block and just got it back together.

Initially, I was elated at the speed with which it started. After sitting around in pieces for a number of months, it only took a few cranks to push fuel and start. The idle was understandable rough for the first few seconds, but all appeared well and I was, for the moment, happy.

Then $hithead says “is that supposed to wobble like that?” And I say, “have another beer Andrew.” Turns out, the little prick was definitely on to something. Looking at the crankshaft nut and harmonic balancer, both were doing a synchronized ‘out of round’ dance. The engine was also noticeably shaking (subtly, but definitely associated with the wobble).

So, what could I be into here? Did I buy a bum block? Is there anything I could have done that would cause this? I mentioned earlier that I removed the AC system, which eliminates the compressor and a pulley. To rule out the lop-sided tension as a factor, I installed the compressor, pulley and belt. No dice.

I’m not super interested in removing a block again, but what the hey, practice makes perfect. Depending on the feedback here, I may be making a friendly phone call to the shop that rebuilt (new rings, one piston, main and rod bearings) and sold me the block.

So, I hope to drive my car one day,

Dave M

Dave M
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks Bill, I was hoping you would provide some advice.

After reading your response, I called the shop and explained what happened. I just said "I got it together, started it and the crank is bent". He barely questioned a thing, appoligized profusely and assumed that the engine came out of something that had seen an accident.

So in the end, he said he would replace the crankshaft, pay for the shipping and supply a new head gasket set. Shipping is a 2000 mile return journey.

Hey it could have been worse. I did pitch the forum and mentioned that I found him through Mark D and would be happy to continue recommending if "things were handled properly".

Guess what I'm doing tonight,

Thanks again guys,

Dave M

winfred
02-17-2006, 09:20 AM
damn that's quite a hit that thing took, about the weirdest thing i've seen is on a m20 if it takes a hard enough hit the water pump shaft gets driven though the #1 cylinder, seen 3 or 4 of those and it makes a clean hole

Loppy
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
that sucks man.... but at least your doing it right. that shaft is bent no doubt. The motor could have been dropped in the salvage yard as well. It does not take much to bend them on the end like that.

Keep us posted on the progress when she comes back.

632 Regal
02-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Dave, maybe you should swap balancers before pulling the engine incase thats the part thats bent.

Scott H
02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry to hear man. Sounds like it was all nailed except for that......

I hope things turn out okay and the only thing lost throughout the ordeal is time.

DanDombrowski
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
From a guy thats replaced the valve cover gasket on my girlfriend's camry about a dozen times, I can't imagine how much it would suck to get all that back together to take it all apart again. Good luck with it.

Dave M
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the condolences guys.

I'm not too upset over it, not sure why, but I’m OK. I’ve looked at friends today and started laughing spontaneously over the jubilance followed by dismay that followed starting it up. I’m gonna be relying on friends to help me get this done twice as fast as the first time. Having the board here for support is also a major factor preventing me from pushing the car off the jackstands ;)

Oh, and Jeff, I can clearly see the crankshaft nut doing the dance along with the balancer and I don’t think the same balancer that went ˝ mill km as smooth as silk would throw off the car that bad. But thanks tryin J

I’ll let you know when I get it back from Toronto. Oh, and I’ll make sure it gets honed this time.

Dave M

Scott H
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
this way you can compare to spec (I can provide it to you), and you will know what you are faced with. My guess is that you will be a thou or two over spec. Better to make sure. They should know how and what to measure. This way you will know what the status of the cylinder bores are when/if troubleshooting is required at a later time.

Jr ///M5
02-17-2006, 03:34 PM
The important thing to remember here is that your engine fired right up and it did RUN!!!! So congratulations are in order. Now I think you'll find that you can do the job 3 or 4 times quicker that you did the last time. Good thing your friend spotted the balancer wobbling.

It's a tough break Dave, but you'll be much better off in the end, and you'll have all that "experience"....;)

Jr

Dave M
02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
this way you can compare to spec (I can provide it to you), and you will know what you are faced with. My guess is that you will be a thou or two over spec. Better to make sure. They should know how and what to measure. This way you will know what the status of the cylinder bores are when/if troubleshooting is required at a later time.

Scott,

Thanks, I will take any info you have. As I wasn't prepared the first time for oversized rings etc. should i be sourcing these if they hone? I would like to assume not, but your help with this would be appreciated.

And Junior, I did a happy dance (another beer) when it ran within seconds, no throttle delay, no unusual sounds. Just bad luck I guess, must mean I'm ddestined to get good at this :)

Dave M

shadowpuck
02-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Although I'm new to the thread and board - congrats on getting everything running! Good catch by your friend too - this would have been a much harder blow to take had you driven for a few hundred miles, yeah? :)

Sounds like your supplier is doing the right thing, that at least makes this tolerable I think....

Do keep us updated! :)