PDA

View Full Version : Changing Belts and Coolant hoses M30

athflying79
02-16-2006, 03:36 PM
I succesfully changed all my coolant hoses. I guess I shouldn't consider it a success until I have filled the system with coolant and there are no leaks!! Anyway, when I pulled the two hoses that go under the intake manifold, some plastic crunched underneath the manifold. Looked like it just held some wiring in place. I'm assuming it is no big deal, but couldn't get a real good look. Anything under there I should should be concerned with?? Secondly, one of the hoses from BMA that connects to the heater core had a bleeder on it and my original hose did not....it was the only hose that said BMW on it and I'm assuming it was an OEM part. Is this some sort of update to help bleed the system?? If I have no problem bleeding it the old fashioned way, do I just ignore it??? Other than that, it was pretty straightforward, just time consuming.

I started doing the belts, but had to quit because it was getting dark. I have the alternator loosened up and that belt should come off no problem. I found the "rack mechanism" as described in the Bentley manual to loosen the power steering belt, but how do I loosen the A/C belt??? So far the belts have been a real PITA. I loosened up the P/S bolt, but still didn't move, so hunting down the mounting bolt that it pivots on. I don't see how I'm going to get this all put together and tension the belts correctly...any tips from the pros??? The Bentley is a bit lacking on this particular job.

athflying79
02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
After some searching came across a post by "lowell" that recommended taking off the bottom engine cover. It was like night and day. Put the car on stands and I had easy access to everything. The teeth on the bolt and on the rack were already missing here and there. I was able to get everything snugged up. Next time around I'll replace both the bolt and the rack. The car is SOOO much quieter. The belts were ready to let go. The alternator belt snapped as I pulled it off.

The alternator and PS belt went on pretty easy, the A/C was a bit tougher. Got it started on the pulley and bumped the starter.

Tomorrow morning I'm tackling the valves...belts were so noisy, didn't realize the valves were so noisy.

632 Regal
02-18-2006, 12:41 AM
congrats ATH, im proud to see someone else that dont get replies...any questions I have I dont even bother posting...I get more replies to OT and cartoons.

Phatty5BMW
02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
I need to do my valves too, they are getting noisy. I haven't ever done it before so thats kinda why im slackin on mine, i dont want to mess up the valvetrain. Have you done it before ATH?

Pat

Gene in NC
02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Prevent disaster by changing belts before they fail.

Changed belts on m30 and apparently didn't get something on correct pulley, although that seems impossible. Anyway, started engine and one of the belts failed. Guess what? It took out the other two.

Carrying spares with idea to change any of three or all on the road is unrealistic. Only need fan belt to get to shop or some better location. Carry all three from last service but plan to replace only the alt.

athflying79
02-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I need to do my valves too, they are getting noisy. I haven't ever done it before so thats kinda why im slackin on mine, i dont want to mess up the valvetrain. Have you done it before ATH?

Pat

No I never have. Finished it today and it really isn't to bad. I took my time and triple checked myself every step of the way. I would not hesitate to do it again. I posted a little more about it earlier.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=135689#post135689