PDA

View Full Version : Front swaybar-mount nut keeps on spinning, can't remove.

BigKriss
02-16-2006, 02:43 AM
I want to re-lube my front urethane swaybar bushes, one nut won't come off. It spins freely in both ways (meaning turning to tighten or turning to loosen). The thread is not moving and I can't take the swaybar mount support off. Any ideas guys. I tried to put a screwdriver in there to try and put some pressure on the mount when removing the nut but nothing happens, it just keeps spinning. The thread looks okay. I think I tightened it too much when I installed the larger bar quite a few months ago.

edit : I tried to wedge a screwdriver in there and undo the nut, theres no room to get a screwdriver in there. maybe the thread on the bolt is stripped and I can get an air rachet can get the nut off, then maybe use a tap and die set to bolt the nut back on, what do you guys think?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3341/pict01656pj.jpg

Jon K
02-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Sounds like the nut is stripped, may have to cut/break it off. Dunno if the post threading will be in tact enough to put another nut on of same size.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Sounds like the nut is stripped, may have to cut/break it off. Dunno if the post threading will be in tact enough to put another nut on of same size.

Agreed. Use a stack of washers on replacement so the new nut will have something to hold. Or, just get a new sway bar mounting plate. Or, knock out the stud and use a bolt/nut. And, stop using impact tools to tighten stuff...:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/Koni%20Sports/113-1332_IMG.jpg

Alexlind123
02-16-2006, 08:16 AM
You will probably have to chisel a the side of the nut. Once you chisel through one section, the nute should come off easily (if it has no threads).

Gene in NC
02-16-2006, 12:47 PM
1) Sometimes a wrench on the nut and vice grips pulling down while turning the bolt head will get the threads to pickup.

2) Otherwise get to the nut with a nut breaker. Two cuts may be required then go back to (1).

BigKriss
04-03-2006, 04:57 AM
First thing is - jokes aside - does any one have a picture of a nut breaker? / and/or where I can purchase one in Australia? Could I get one in there to remove the swaybar mount nut? (Seen in the first post).

Second thing is, I tried to remove the swaybar mount supports

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=31_0250&hg=31&fg=05

Items number 12, I could manage to loosen 14 - collar screw, I think 14mm from memory, there are two of those per support but I couldn't move part 13 "hexagon screw with flange" How big is this bolt?

I'm assuming 19mm, but my 6 sided socket didn't fit in there tightly, and I don't have an 18mm socket to try out. I couldn't remove this bolt with a 45cm breaker bar :( It wouldn't budge.

I installed some new swaybar links the other day (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20240) and they kept on knocking. I removed them and put the stock items on, only to find that there in a knocking sound at the front of the car. Everything is certainly secured tightly, the swaybar links and the swaybar mounts, I didn't touch / remove anything else from the front end.

What I did do was move the front swaybar toward the ground a bit to accomodate the new slightly longer swaybar links. I moved the swaybar down lyinh on the ground and then grabbing either side of the bar and using my weight to lower it towards the ground. I hear some screaching noise and as front swaybar rubbed against the urethane bushing. For some reason I think I moved the bushing out of place? (i know this sounds weird), it looks if there is nothing wrong with it - I mean all intact and in place.

The swaybar is not squeaking - it is clunking. When I move it by hand, I cannot replicate the noise. I can't properly remove the swaybar and lube it again because i cannot remove the nut :( This thing is starting to piss me off and at times the whole car gets me annoyed. Okay dudes, I'll be back later.

joshua43214
04-03-2006, 08:24 AM
You overtightened the nut and striped the threads, if your really lucky the stud is semi ok and the nut is ruined. put a prybar behind the bracket so you can pry the bracket against the nut. try removing the nut while prying, an impact wrench is best for this. You dont have room for a nut breakers probably, so use a hammer and chisel. aim the chisel along the side of the stud, nut into the stud and remove with as few well placed blows as possible. This means hitting it really hard and well. Or use a cut off wheel and cut again straght in along the threads, use a chisel to finish the job.

If the stud can be chased out with a die, clean up the threads and use a couple of washers to raise the nut onto some clean threads.

Buy a torque wrench and use it.

BigKriss
04-04-2006, 01:28 AM
bump

genphreak
04-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Mate this sounds like a really torrid thing to face. Sway bars... just not your luck. What about grinding the sucker off and drilling the support through so you can put in a new fastener, ie a nut and bolt. I would want to use a hardened one JIC it needs it.

They seem to have quite a lot of torque on them for a small nut; 22Nm from memory?

Kalevera
04-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Kristian,

What happened with this? From a quick look of the responses, it looks like everything's been said that should have been needed to fix it.

I'm confused.

best, whit

rob101
04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
in regards to question 2: m14 (the diagram says) should be a 22mm head flat to flat from what i have read. as loosening it, either use an impact wrench or its hammer time. i find a few love taps with a soft hammer on a bar will help loosen up seized bolts like these. as for the nut......... cold chisel and no i don't mean the band.

BigKriss
04-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I fixed it up - the thread that holds the swaybar bracket was stripped inside. I removed the swaybar bracket supports (part number 12) (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=31_0250&hg=31&fg=05) and then took off the swaybar with the one "support" attached. I then moved it into a position were i wedged a scewdriver in there and used a spanner to turn the nut. I tried to cut it out with a wood chisel but it didn't break it. I used a thick washer on top of a new nut to support the swaybar bracket.