PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Fuel Pump

athflying79
02-15-2006, 09:18 PM
So when I'm riding in my car, I can hear the fuel pump. It's not the rumbling described in some threads, but it's what I would consider louder than normal. It is intermittent and not a constant whirring. I can hear the normal whirring and that remains constant and then there is this noise. It seems to be a sporadic humm here and there. Almost like it binds up for a second. The noise does not coincide with engine roughness, so I'm stumped.

Tonight I pulled the pump and sender and everything seemed to be ok. I used a magnet to get out the sediment at the bottom of the tank and used some compressed air to clean the screen at the bottom of the pump. Made sure all the clamps were good and tight, no cracked hoses, etc. One of the Oetiker clamps was missing (outside of the tank, not on the inside) and replaced with a regular hose clamp. For good measure, replaced it with a Oetiker. I also replaced the rubber gasket and fuel filter. It seems to have quieted down some, but I can still hear it. I'm guessing until it dies I shouldn't worry about it, but it's annoying.

Anything else I can look into to possibly cure the problem??

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
shoot i havent ever heard mine...its just a magical feature that keeps my shyt going i guess.

Alexlind123
02-15-2006, 10:10 PM
there was metal sediment in the tank? When i took my sender out the tank was surgicaly clean.

Ohiopilot
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
athflying79, my fuel pump has been loud ever since I bought the 525iT four months ago. The sound never changes and I can even hear it at 70mph with the Blizzaks on the car. I would love to change it, but still fighting the TRANS PROG message. I will have to pull the pump out some time to see which of the two types I have.

Good luck with your pump.

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 10:19 PM
no kidding! I just absorbed that, metal in the tank isnt a good thing. Have you changed the fuel filters? if not you might have an obstruction and that would make the pump work extra hard.

athflying79
02-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Directly under the fuel pump, there was a small amount of sediment about the size of a nickel. I picked it up with a magnet, so it was something metallic. There was also a little bit of the same sediment on the screen at the bottom of the pump. I'm talking very, very little....I wiped the magnet off on a rag and it looked like black sludge. Other than that, the tank was spotless.

I'm thinking it is just either normal for a car that is 15 years old or the pump is wearing out internally and that is the resulting fallout.