PDA

View Full Version : Changed to clears; pass. side turn indicator won't work

Cactuar
02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Right, I just spent possibly the worst two hours of my life.

I changed the tail lights to clears on my 525 with no hassle, very easy and it looks great.

Then I moved on to the front turn indicators (corner lights). It was such a pain in the ass it's hard to put it into words. I was struggling with two of the three screws that hold up the side light unit; almost impossible to reach. Anyway after much cussing the driver side was done and lit up properly. Moved to the passenger side and thought it would be better... but no, the antifreeze tank is in the way. I managed to get the unit off and install the new one.

Here's my problem: it won't light up. It DID light up when I tested it (with the connector hanging off the car) but now it won't work. I noticed that the bulb is a bit loose after I twist it in the socket. I tried to align it properly, unplug/replug harness, etc... I'm out of ideas. I'm thinking of ordering a new connector but I thought I'd ask you guys first.

What do you think?

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
pull the light back out and see whats going on. you mucht have a cracked connector, a bad bulb etc. did you try a new bulb?

E34 530
02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Had a similar problem when installing mine. From getting knocked around and hassled so much, the bulb burnt out. It didn't look burnt out, but somewhere, the filament must have broke. I know it sounds quite noobish, but check it out.

Cactuar
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Don't ask me why I didn't try it earlier, but the old bulb works just fine! Looks like the bulb is faulty. It's weird because it was bought today and is brand new. I guess it was manipulated one too many times.

Thanks guys, I'll be heading to the store to pick up a new bulb tomorrow.

edit: Wow your 5 really only has 58k?

E34 530
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Don't ask me why I didn't try it earlier, but the old bulb works just fine! Looks like the bulb is faulty. It's weird because it was bought today and is brand new. I guess it was manipulated one too many times.

Thanks guys, I'll be heading to the store to pick up a new bulb tomorrow.

edit: Wow your 5 really only has 58k?

Yeah, well actually it's up to 60k now.

Cactuar
02-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Are they all original miles or with rebuilt engine?

E34 530
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
All original.

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Nikasil?

E34 530
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Nikasil?

Yep. Btw Regal, I pmed you twice about a week ago. I found out what I needed to know, just want to let you know your box might be full or something so you can fix it.

Cactuar
02-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Thought I would re-use my thread and ask about the side markers.

I attempted to install them yesterday from parts I got from abrahams motorsports. These are the side markers I want to install (only one connector shown):

http://www.jf3d.com/sidemarker.jpg

The problem is that when I removed the side marker from the car and attempted to fit the stock connector (similar to the white plastic connector shown in pic above), it didn't fit. The old connector is too small so I can't twist it in place, it won't hold.

I thought I'd get around the problem by installing the entire unit abrahams motorsports sent me that includes the electrical wire along with a big rubber thing. Problem is that this is installed well behind the body panel and there's no way to reach it without removing said panel first. How do I get around this problem? Should I return the parts and look for ones that will work with the stock connector?

Scott H
02-16-2006, 10:31 AM
did you use the amber bulbs you got with the turn signal??? The euro clear parts come with a single filament bulb while the US ones have two filaments (one for parking light and one for turn signal). Any chance the bulb that didn't work was a single filament one?

Cactuar
02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Scott the bulbs and connector that came with the clear "euro" parts were a bit weird. The bulbs had 3 connecting points while mine have two. Also the connector didn't fit as well so I had to use my old connector and I bought amber bulbs with 2 connector points. It works well on the left side, right side just needs a working bulb.

Scott H
02-16-2006, 10:44 AM
are for euro cars that do not use the corner as a parking light, but instead use the city light at the top of the smiley headlamps. That is why there is only one filament and a two pin socket, whereas the US has a three pin socket and two filament bulb

Scott the bulbs and connector that came with the clear "euro" parts were a bit weird. The bulbs had 3 connecting points while mine have two. Also the connector didn't fit as well so I had to use my old connector and I bought amber bulbs with 2 connector points. It works well on the left side, right side just needs a working bulb.

Cactuar
02-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Ahh okay makes sense. Yay for standarisation!

Cactuar
02-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Thought I would re-use my thread and ask about the side markers.

I attempted to install them yesterday from parts I got from abrahams motorsports. These are the side markers I want to install (only one connector shown):

http://www.jf3d.com/sidemarker.jpg

The problem is that when I removed the side marker from the car and attempted to fit the stock connector (similar to the white plastic connector shown in pic above), it didn't fit. The old connector is too small so I can't twist it in place, it won't hold.

I thought I'd get around the problem by installing the entire unit abrahams motorsports sent me that includes the electrical wire along with a big rubber thing. Problem is that this is installed well behind the body panel and there's no way to reach it without removing said panel first. How do I get around this problem? Should I return the parts and look for ones that will work with the stock connector?

Sorry to bump my own post but I'd like to get some opinions on this! ^