PDA

View Full Version : Intake tube in front of airbox

granit_silber
02-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering where the funky intake tube located in front of the aif filter box goes? I noticed that collar of the connecting tube (just before the flexible part) has cracked and the entire collar is coming apart.

-ashley

Dave M
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Ashley,

Not sure what part you're referring to. Air goes in the front and air goes out the back ;) There are some smaller lines which head over to the cylinder head and the throttle body, but I don't recall a funky one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/air_box.jpg

throw us a bone,

Dave M

granit_silber
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Ashley,

Not sure what part you're referring to. Air goes in the front and air goes out the back ;) There are some smaller lines which head over to the cylinder head and the throttle body, but I don't recall a funky one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/air_box.jpg

throw us a bone,

Dave M
Dave,
Its the kinda "L" shaped plastic part that is in front of the airbox, not part of it. On one end it slides into the headlight backing plastic piece and circumvents the airbox. I always assumed it was part of the box but it isn't.
-ashley

edit: it fits into the long, flat space above the bottom trumpet.

Dave M
02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I was just out in the garage tonight piecing the 525 back together and put the airbox together. I don't think mine has what you describe, or, I may not have dug deep enough into my parts box.

Hmmmm, i'll let you know if I find it :)

Dave M

Ohiopilot
02-15-2006, 09:09 PM
the duct that goes to the air-cooled alternator. It should slide into the headlight cover and slip into the plastic shroud of the alternator.

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
correction that part goes from the bumper vent to the tube to the alternator.
I can real oem the link if needed.
the duct that goes to the air-cooled alternator. It should slide into the headlight cover and slip into the plastic shroud of the alternator.

ILoveMPower
02-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Beat me to it, it's just the alternator-cooling duct.

Dave M
02-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Good detective work.

That section is still siting in the parts box. If its broken, the flexible section will sag and rub on the alternator fan. No biggie, but you may as well replace it now. Not sure about the bendy bit, but the flexible bit only cost $5 CAN. Cheapest dealer sourced part yet :)

Dave M