PDA

View Full Version : You meet the nicest people...

billb
02-15-2006, 10:48 AM
...just popped out to Arby's for lunch. After lunch, went to the Kangaroo gas station to fill up the Explorer. Noticed a young girl with the hood up on her E30, putting water in (from the hose at the station, ugh!!). As she was walking back to the car from inside the store, I yelled over "Need any help with your E30?" Then I recognized her as the daughter of one of our CCA members, and I identified myself to her as a fellow CCA member. She said "Well, it's leaking a little water." "How much?" I asked. "Well, this is the third time I've filled it up in two days."

Uh oh.

I took one look under the hood, and my eyes immediately went to the vent hose on the corner of the radiator. Broken off, and just loosely inserted in the end housing. "Here you go." Asked her how far she had to go, and warned her to go there and have her dad put another radiator in. I grabbed some electrical tape and tensioned what was left of the nib and hose towards the radiator, and sent her on her way. My first roadside (almost) CCA member helped!

Yay!

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Was she cute?

ryan roopnarine
02-15-2006, 11:30 AM
rarely do i stop for people with any manner of bmw of this era (e28 e30 e32 e34) because I don't think i've ever managed to meet someone who was an actual enthusiast. the problem with the non enthusiast is that they consider someone stopping for them in a similar type vehicle as automatically being suspect. the other day, i saw a hispanic looking fellow from texas in an e34 with his hood up in the parking lot of the gas station i was about to pull into. i pulled in and proceeded to ask him if he needed any help, and all he could manage was a dumb look and a "no". same thing on the highway. "yeah, i pulled out of heavy traffic so that i could offer you my biglots SAE socket set and my lack of expertise. go ahead and continue to look at your motor with that useless look on your face." i stop for people all of the time and this seems to be par for the course with the bmw people. others will gladly take the gallon of water i have or my assistance in taking off a shredded tire that they can't get traction on to remove themselves, or even a ride 1/4 down the road so that they can get a mile marker number for a towtruck to find them.

/end rant

DaCan23
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Very true..... now a days a lot of people call themselves a BMW "Enthusiast" because they just went out and bought their 1st BMW, which was a new 325xi or something....

Unless a person has owned an E34, E24, E30, E28, or 2002, they should not be considered an enthusiast....

rarely do i stop for people with any manner of bmw of this era (e28 e30 e32 e34) because I don't think i've ever managed to meet someone who was an actual enthusiast. the problem with the non enthusiast is that they consider someone stopping for them in a similar type vehicle as automatically being suspect. the other day, i saw a hispanic looking fellow from texas in an e34 with his hood up in the parking lot of the gas station i was about to pull into. i pulled in and proceeded to ask him if he needed any help, and all he could manage was a dumb look and a "no". same thing on the highway. "yeah, i pulled out of heavy traffic so that i could offer you my biglots SAE socket set and my lack of expertise. go ahead and continue to look at your motor with that useless look on your face." i stop for people all of the time and this seems to be par for the course with the bmw people. others will gladly take the gallon of water i have or my assistance in taking off a shredded tire that they can't get traction on to remove themselves, or even a ride 1/4 down the road so that they can get a mile marker number for a towtruck to find them.

/end rant

1995 525i
02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Very true..... now a days a lot of people call themselves a BMW "Enthusiast" because they just went out and bought their 1st BMW, which was a new 325xi or something....

Unless a person has owned an E34, E24, E30, E28, or 2002, they should not be considered an enthusiast....

I've noticed that most of the E34's I see aren't taken care of and the ones that are are driven by a clueless person. The only person who every said anything about my car in a parking lot was the owner of late eighties model 635 and that was because out cars were about the same color. Often times I wonder if the E34 I just passed is a member of this forum.

Ok..enough of that.

SharkmanBMW
02-15-2006, 02:20 PM

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought a new 330xi and I thought I was out of the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but since I have previously owned 3 others, I am safe!

1995 525i
02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a close one Sharkman....:D

Jr ///M5
02-15-2006, 02:54 PM
It's good to know that there ARE people like Bill Bass that will stop and offer his assistance, you never know when it could be YOUR daughter, and all you needed was an "enthusiast" to stop and lend a hand and get her out of the line of danger. They are sitting ducks when broke down on the side of the road.

This past winter we had some good snowstorms in December, the roads were pretty clear, but there was still snow on the shoulder of the road. My daughter was driving her little MB with her boyfriend and brother coming home from Christmas shopping when I get a call..."Dad...(laughing in the background) I'm just down the road a few blocks and well, I'm stuck and I've slid off the road"...She continues to tell me that a cop with his lights on was coming up behind her, and she pulled over just a little to far when he was passing her and the snowy shoulder pulled her into the ditch. "Ok, I'll be right there".... I pulled on my boots and jumped into the truck armed with 10' nylon slings to pull the MB out of the ditch. It's 5 minutes away.....By the time I got there, a policeman had the road blocked off and a 4 wheel drive was pulling her out of the ditch. I didn't even have the chance to get out of the truck, so I turned around and met them back home.

Things can happen very quickly, this time it was for the better. I'm always grateful for the guardian angel that stops to help.

Good job Bill...

Jr

tdgard
02-15-2006, 03:07 PM
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried about my e46 as well. My E21 was not on that list either. But I guess the E34 and E28 make up for it.:D