PDA

View Full Version : OT: Holy crap! I flew a plane!

DanDombrowski
02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
I had the opportunity to go up in a little Cessna 172 this past weekend for my first flying lesson ever. Here are two shots I took out of the plane. Totally awesome experience.

Sorry they're so big, I can't edit them at work.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/DSCN0646.JPG
http://plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/DSCN0645.JPG

av8r
02-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Dom,
From a fellow Pilot (1250hrs)congratulations on taking the first step. If you need any help along the way please let me know. I also have alot of refrence material you might be able to utilize during your training.
Why was your first lesson from the right seat?
Chris
95 530I, 1975 c172m

DanDombrowski
02-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Well, it was an informal lesson. A flight instructor friend of mine said he would take me up and get me started if I was interested we could continue lessons. Wheather or not I'm going to keep doing it, I don't know for sure, but I think I'm pretty interested in it. Need to do something with about my motion sickness though - breakfast went out the window at 2500 feet :)

angrypancake
02-15-2006, 08:54 AM
its raining! wait..... bacon? and eggs? and EWWWWWWWWW

av8r
02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Never eat or drink before you go up!. I guess this was your first lesson.

1995 525i
02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I had the opportunity to go up in a little Cessna 172 this past weekend for my first flying lesson ever. Here are two shots I took out of the plane. Totally awesome experience.

Sorry they're so big, I can't edit them at work.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/DSCN0646.JPG
http://plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/DSCN0645.JPG

Does this mean you are changing your name to the Red Baron? Seriously though, way to take life by the balls. I am not sure I have the fortitude to do that...It sure is a long way down (as your breakfast can attest).

Michael

JD525IA
02-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Congrats! You sure chummed some nice looking neighborhood, though.

I went to a University in Florida that specialized in Engineering and training pilots (Air Science). I always loved going along on a ride with a training flight and wished I could have double-majored. But, no. I have a sensitive stomach, too. I've actually made myself car sick before while driving. Barf!

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
..... Need to do something with about my motion sickness though - breakfast went out the window at 2500 feet :)

LOL... thats part of the fun....

billb
02-15-2006, 10:08 AM
...was vintage aircraft. His first plane was a '45 Ercoupe. No rudder pedals, all centrally controlled "flaperons". Single elevator, twin tails. Really fun to fly in. Bubble canopy that you could fly with the top down, or like a t-top. I loved that plane. He made enough on its sale to buy a '46 Aeronca Chief out of a barn, strip it to the airframe, then restore it to win a Grand Champion at Camden SC. Sold it after a few years and bought two street rods off the proceeds. It was a gorgeous yellow and blue. Had an intricate hand-starting mechanism that you pulled a lever inside the cockpit that engaged a ring gear around the prop, actuated by a cable. It was a really cool plane. I've flown them both, and had some seat time in a Stearman model 75 that was my dad's flight instructor's plane.

And I do get airsick, and have gotten carsick while driving high performance go-karts...

You'll love flying. Just be ready to fund it. If you think cars are expensive, hoo boy...

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
You'll love flying. Just be ready to fund it. If you think cars are expensive, hoo boy...

LOL... best understatement ever...

DueyT
02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
It's pretty fun...I remember being 21 and going solo in a $10M jet....man, it honestly didn't get any better than that....400KIAS and a tankful of JP4!!! :D

Enjoy!

Duey

athflying79
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Congrats! You sure chummed some nice looking neighborhood, though.

I went to a University in Florida that specialized in Engineering and training pilots (Air Science). I always loved going along on a ride with a training flight and wished I could have double-majored. But, no. I have a sensitive stomach, too. I've actually made myself car sick before while driving. Barf!

I think I went to that same University. Will be paying school loans for the rest of my life thank you very much!!!

Congrats on the flight. I'm up to about 450 hours. Commercial-Multi, and Instrument rated. Looking to go for my Sea-plane soon. It is certainly addictive, time consuming, and EXPENSIVE!!!

Good Luck!!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't miss landing.

Had a few rough ones with an F18 Hornet.

Luftpost
02-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Need to do something with about my motion sickness though - breakfast went out the window at 2500 feet :)

Congratulations! I started just for fun, and ended up making a career out of it.

As far as the motion sickness.......don't get to worked up over it. Most people do actually gain a resilience to it after some time in the air. The body has a way of programing itself to re-aclimate to these new sensations.

Have fun!

L

athflying79
02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Congratulations! I started just for fun, and ended up making a career out of it.

As far as the motion sickness.......don't get to worked up over it. Most people do actually gain a resilience to it after some time in the air. The body has a way of programing itself to re-aclimate to these new sensations.

Have fun!

L

I would love to make a career of it, but the security just isn't there. Glad it worked out for you and I will always keep an eye on the job market.

Dave M
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Way da go,

My first flying experience was in a 172. My brother in-law is a bush pilot in northern Canada (beaver, norseman) so for my B-day he took me up. We trained using a PC simulator and he made me do everything including land multiple times.

I've been up a few times since and will continue to pick away at it,

Keep it up,

Dave M

Scott C
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Ah yes, Cessna 172, I remember puking quite a bit in the back of that bad boy when I was 6 years old. Funny thing is, getting your hands on the controls seems to help - I "flew" the instruments at age 7 (couldn't see out the window) so my dad could take some pictures. Never landed or took off.

Your airsickness WILL get better and flying will cost a friggin lot of money!
(Remember this as you try some stalls)

Scott

athflying79
02-16-2006, 06:02 AM
I've never been truly airsick, but had a not so good feeling a couple times. The more you do it, the better it gets. When I started instrument flying, my instructor took me up at night and we did unusual attitude recoveries......I almost lost it a few times then.

Anyway, the more you do it, the more enjoyable it is...sounds like you are there already though.

callen
02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
:D Last summer I was out flying my 120" Wingspan PT19 (Primary Trainer for WWII pilots) remote control airplane when I saw some full size war birds flying overhead. I knew there was an airport close by so packed up stuff and headed over. They had an event going on with 30 or so old warbirds...one being a PT19 as the one I was flying. I spoke to the owner pilot and let him know I was flying mine this morning...he wanted to check it out...went to car assymbled started it up. He said...."Well since you showed me yours I'll take you for a ride in mine". Went back to his plane...he gave me flight suite and we went for a ride. Incredible. He even let me take the stick for a couple minutes. :D

Dave M
02-16-2006, 11:15 AM
:D Last summer I was out flying my 120" Wingspan PT19 (Primary Trainer for WWII pilots) remote control airplane when I saw some full size war birds flying overhead. I knew there was an airport close by so packed up stuff and headed over. They had an event going on with 30 or so old warbirds...one being a PT19 as the one I was flying. I spoke to the owner pilot and let him know I was flying mine this morning...he wanted to check it out...went to car assymbled started it up. He said...."Well since you showed me yours I'll take you for a ride in mine". Went back to his plane...he gave me flight suite and we went for a ride. Incredible. He even let me take the stick for a couple minutes. :D

Good story,

I wonder what would last longer. You flying the full-sized or him flying the model?

Later,

Dave M

Jay 535i
02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Awesome!

I have about 300 hours myself ... in Falcon 4.0. :D

Evan
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
i would stick with it if i were you! great photos

dacoyote
02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
i would stick with it if i were you! great photos

Evan.. long time no see.. will your gf start posting again also?

onewhippedpuppy
02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
As soon as I have the money I'll be up there. Lessons are a bit pricey for a college student. Been flying with my grandfather in his Bonanza for as long as I can remember, probably the reason I'm majoring in aerospace engineering. Planes still make me feel like a little kid inside, I can't wait to be able to fly one. Also happy to say that I've never puked in one either.;)

DanDombrowski
02-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm definitely going to try it a few more times. It really was a lot of fun. Hopefully I can catch some different photos next time too.

Lessons aren't something I can't afford, but they sure ain't cheap!