PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Upgrades am I missing anything?

hakwuzhere
02-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Once again I hope Im not asking dumb questions, but this is the first car Ive owned that Ive actually taken some time to learn about and this will be my first real upgrade (lighting, chip and such doesnt count).

Ive read the writeups on BMW4life and E34.net on suspension upgrades and decided that Thursday Im getting the Vogtlands and a set of used Koni adjustables (if the person selling can actually get back to me with an acceptable payment method). Otherwise depending on how I decide to spend my next paycheck Ill get some Boge or Bilstein.

My question actually revolves around what other small parts I should be replacing/buying. From reading the other threads on Vogt's it seems Ill need to order #8 at least (9mm spacer?), and it seems that people are mentioning new bumpstops, Are they #9 and how should they be shaved? (the PO of the car had the shocks replaced in the last 10k miles, so they are relatively new)

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450010448/5.jpg

For the rear shocks Ill need to get #3? and #12?

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450010448/6.jpg

These are the tools listed as necessary on E34.net

# WD 40.
# Set of open wrenches.
# 19 & 13mm socket + ratchet + extensions.
# Spring compressor

I have access to the above, however here is what Whit reccomends that I am not familair with.

# Threadlocker: Red Loctite
# Rust/surface tension removing catalyst: PB Blaster
# Important: 12 new self locking 13mm nuts for mounting the struts
# Optional: I use a lot of anti-seize grease when I put everything back together because, let me tell you, separating fused hubs/rotors/wheels is not fun.

It looks like Ill actually have access to a shop with a lift and some people that have replaced BMW suspensions before (doing a local installfest) but Id rather not seem like a complete fool and be able to help.

Hrm, was gonna put my SSK questions here also, but Im getting to the edge of my attention span. :D

hakwuzhere
02-15-2006, 11:22 PM
ttt

I must be doing something wrong here... if one of the esteemed board elders could let me know what it is... Ill make sure to be concious of it.

liquidtiger720
02-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Threadlocker: Red Loctite can be found at your local hardware store. (its super glue, but better...sorta)

the 12 new self locking 13mm nuts are the ones on top of your strut towers inside of your engine bay. #4 in diagram above.

Anti-seize grease, prevents things from fusing together, available locally

# Rust/surface tension removing catalyst: PB Blaster = wd40.

as for the bumpstops, Buy new ones...somebody suggested to me to buy the mtech ones...so you don't have to cut them.

hakwuzhere
02-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Awesome Liquid, thanks man! :)