PDA

View Full Version : Changing from ATE to Girling brake system...

spinkb
02-14-2006, 08:58 PM
My car is currently an ATE system. I needed a new master cylinder, and purchased a used one on ebay...but it is a Girling. I didn't realize there were two types, so I had it installed. However, it caused my back calipers to lock up, over heat my rotors, ignite my rubber hoses in flames until they burst, and made the rotors glow red. I knew what was happening, but I had no choice but to go until I could get off the road. It was literally like 1 minute of driving once I noticed them dragging before all was lost.

So now I have two bad rear calipers, bad rotors (warped probably), bad pads, and bad hoses...and on top of it, probably still the wrong master cylinder.

Can I change everythign to match my new master cylinder, or am I better off replacing all the bad parts and going back to an ATE master cylinder?

Thanks,
Ben

Tiger
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM
you bought a USED master cylinder? It was probably already defective causing this new problem. Just buy a new master cylinder.

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 12:01 PM
that sux

spinkb
02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
The master cylinder was used, but with warranty. The issues I had didn't appear to be master cylinder related unless it is SUPPOSED to be OK to mix and match girling / ate. Is it?

Otherwise my issues are related to me using the wrong master cylinder.

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
i would say the master is made for a car with rear drums not disks. the drum masters have a check ball that holds 3-5 lbs of pressure to keep the brake shoes close to the drums and when installed with a disk brake it simply is braking all the time.

theres nothing you can do if you want to keep that master except convert the car to rear drum brakes.

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Not sure how I missed this....

but you are lucky you didn't hurt someone....

I don't know about you.. but next time you get to the point where you realize that it's not the right part... I would suggest getting the right part.... even more so on something like brakes...

I am glad to see that you saved money over buying the right part at BMA...

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 12:54 PM
LOL...new rotors, new pads, new calipers...sure he saved money by converting it to the wrong master...

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 12:55 PM
LOL...new rotors, new pads, new calipers...sure he saved money by converting it to the wrong master...

You forgot the lines.. and the fluid.... and the pita it can be to get that **** appart....

632 Regal
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
practice makes perfect.

dacoyote
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
practice makes perfect.

Like my 200 front end replacment...

mattyb
02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
maybe we need a thread on all the other great things we can buy fingered on ebay and save money on that will just cause a catastophic failure. how stupid are we. having bought all this great stuff and paid obviously way to much when we could have just bought some **** in the first place.
Next time I need a windscreen instead of $1000.00 at a reputable source I think ill pay $5.00 and go for 200 metres of cling wrap and being such a smart carnt i piss in my washer resevior while im at it.

spinkb
02-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to buy new ATE master cylinder.

Just a pain to replace the other parts. I gambled $50 to save $500+. I lost. :) I didn't end up costing myself too much extra. (Pads and rotors were due to be changed in the next 5K anyway. My calipers might not be bad...still have to see on them.) It was worth it in my opinion.

In an unrelated topic....I 'll have a 1992 525i for sale in a couple weeks...:)

Seriously.

632 Regal
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Ahhhhh, I was assuming the rotors and pads were new! So I guess thats not too bad then.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to buy new ATE master cylinder.

Just a pain to replace the other parts. I gambled $50 to save $500+. I lost. :) I didn't end up costing myself too much extra. (Pads and rotors were due to be changed in the next 5K anyway. My calipers might not be bad...still have to see on them.) It was worth it in my opinion.

In an unrelated topic....I 'll have a 1992 525i for sale in a couple weeks...:)

Seriously.