PDA

View Full Version : PUZZLE! Does Directional Tire Tread mean symmetrical when viewed from front of car?

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Alright, need help.
Have had a few moments of less than brilliance, hope this is one of them and an easy fix.
Cause the light's not going on right now....the one in my head.

Michelin Pilot Primacy tires, almost new, came w/the style 5's.

all 4 mounted w/ "OUTSIDE" written on the outside of the tire so I can read it.

As viewed from front of the car it looks like my magic art below.

From the center of the car left tire treads go OUT then DOWN.
Whereas from the center of the car the right tire treads OUT then UP.

Shouldn't they look symmetrical?
I've played mind games on where to move what tires, because each says "outside" on the outside treadwall.

If it makes it easier, same situation on rear tires...

Losing my mind (ASCII art will also do that.. ) Please help.
Rob sends....

Rigmaster
02-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Do they have rotational arrows on them?? Showing which SIDE of the car the tire mounts on??? They will have either an arrow showing the direction of rotation, and/OR a marking showing "left" or "right" side of the car.

If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bret.

Alexlind123
02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
try switching the front left with the right rear, or the front right with the left rear. My brother has directional tires on his acura and it does matter which side the go on.

Edit: And since they are symmetrical, i would guess this to be the case.

Bellicose Right Winger
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
This is an asymetrical, non-directional tire. As long as "outside" is on lug side of wheel you're good to go.

Paul Shovestul

Alright, need help.
Have had a few moments of less than brilliance, hope this is one of them and an easy fix.
Cause the light's not going on right now....the one in my head.

Michelin Pilot Primacy tires, almost new, came w/the style 5's.

all 4 mounted w/ "OUTSIDE" written on the outside of the tire so I can read it.

As viewed from front of the car it looks like my magic art below.

From the center of the car left tire treads go OUT then DOWN.
Whereas from the center of the car the right tire treads OUT then UP.

Shouldn't they look symmetrical?
I've played mind games on where to move what tires, because each says "outside" on the outside treadwall.

If it makes it easier, same situation on rear tires...

Losing my mind (ASCII art will also do that.. ) Please help.
Rob sends....

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
....left/right or directional arrows...

just imagine sould look symmetrical vice one "pointing" up and the other "down" when viewed from front... here's a pic of the tread from michelin website...
thanks. -Rob.

pmlmotorsports
02-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Michelin is a french tire company, in my opinion, buy french perfume, french make-up, or french fries, but NOT french tires............btw, Webster's dictionary indicates the following : French - adj. the state of over-priced, under-valued product; an illusion of marketing and advertising best read by desperate rich women needing an excuse to spend lots of money on cosmetics .......and yes in my personal opinion, the world would be a better place if France was leveled and made into Disney Euro.

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 08:32 PM
i hear ya and agree, but for now... and if the style 5s came w/saddam insane tires instead of michelins that's cool too cause the tires will come and go....

Michelin is a french tire company, in my opinion, buy french perfume, french make-up, or french fries, but NOT french tires............btw, Webster's dictionary indicates the following : French - adj. the state of over-priced, under-valued product; an illusion of marketing and advertising best read by desperate rich women needing an excuse to spend lots of money on cosmetics .......and yes in my personal opinion, the world would be a better place if France was leveled and made into Disney Euro.

SharkmanBMW
02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
I would love to agree with PML, especially since I live among the french-Canadians here in Montreal... But the Michelin tires are simply awesome, yet overpriced!
i don't buy them, but they are for sure one of the best.

The rest of the comments about frenchmen are ok with me!

just leave me the poutine to eat and I am happy!
Poutine: Not from france, from Quebec, so it is an insult to true french food!
(that just makes it better!)
http://lpdp.chez-alice.fr/poutine_img/poutine%20avant.jpg

Rigmaster
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
The official description of that tire says it is "Assymetrical" tread- so what you are seeing is normal.

There are not that many tires out there that have directional tread.......and those that do are sold in pairs- 2 lefts + 2 rights per car.

It sounds like you got these tires used as part of a wheel/tire deal, but just FYI....

Bret.

Tiger
02-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Those tires are asymmetrical... that is the way it is supposed to be... The word "Outside" is outside on each side. and it would look reversed of other side...

Think of the two tires as a set side by side... looks like one tire.

Bellicose Right Winger
02-15-2006, 09:25 AM
The odd thing is that the right side tires seem to direct the water AWAY from the middle of the contact patch, which is what most directional tires try to do. Due to the asymmetrical tread however, the left side tires seem to direct the water TOWARD the middle of the contact patch, which usually isn't considered a good thing.

Trivia Question: Which car had asymmetrical, directional tires and different sizes front and rear? No two tires were alike on this car.

Paul Shovestul

Those tires are asymmetrical... that is the way it is supposed to be... The word "Outside" is outside on each side. and it would look reversed of other side...

Think of the two tires as a set side by side... looks like one tire.

pmlmotorsports
02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
An Acura NSX is my only guess..........

Winger]The odd thing is that the right side tires seem to direct the water AWAY from the middle of the contact patch, which is what most directional tires try to do. Due to the asymmetrical tread however, the left side tires seem to direct the water TOWARD the middle of the contact patch, which usually isn't considered a good thing.

Trivia Question: Which car had asymmetrical, directional tires and different sizes front and rear? No two tires were alike on this car.

Paul Shovestul[/QUOTE]

Bellicose Right Winger
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Yep, there may be others, but that's the one I was thinking of.

An Acura NSX is my only guess..........

[/QUOTE]

RobPatt
02-15-2006, 11:41 AM
That's why we have a forum! Thanks.

"The odd thing is that the right side tires seem to direct the water AWAY from the middle of the contact patch, which is what most directional tires try to do. Due to the asymmetrical tread however, the left side tires seem to direct the water TOWARD the middle of the contact patch, which usually isn't considered a good thing."

That....

Along with it just looks like they're on wrong and irritates me.
Guess will have to live w/it. Thanks.

DaCan23
02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm sure theres a lot of cheap idiots out there that have mistakenly done this via mixing tires & sizes..... I've been thinking about puttin one stock E34 15" rim, one stock E24 14" rim, one TSW 16" rim, and one Faux AC 17" rim on the 635 just for uniqueness..... hahaahha

Yep, there may be others, but that's the one I was thinking of.

[/quote]