PDA

View Full Version : low oil level warning

rob101
02-14-2006, 04:01 PM
hello everyone, I just got a low oil level warning after I got to work today. I am going to check the dipstick soon. But I was wondering I have heard that there are 2 sensors for this, one while the engine is running and one for when the engine is static, is this true?

Dave P
02-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, there are 2 sensors as you say,both are contained in the same assembly.
Bentley has a procedure for testing them in situ with a meter.Sorry but Bentley is at my work so cant give you details
Dave

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Mine had rotted away and was causing all kinds of false warnings.

Had to solder a new plug assembly cut from an old throttle position switch to get to work right again.

rob101
02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
phew, the oil is not low its just a stupid sensor malfunction. thank god for dipsticks and the mk. 1 eyeball

Paul in NZ
02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
I have had the warning a couple of times always towards the end of the service interval.It goes off when the oil is about halfway down the dipstick....

rob101
02-15-2006, 04:51 AM
I have had the warning a couple of times always towards the end of the service interval.It goes off when the oil is about halfway down the dipstick....
ah i see, didn't go off this afternoon at all, weird oh well i sometimes think that bmws are too smart for their own good lol