PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean/lube door latches, etc?

RobPatt
02-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I see archives about PB Blaster and Teflon... just squirt heck out of the first, let it soak, then do the second...? My driver's door starting not to latch unless slammed shut... hoping some preventative maint can stave off me changing out the latch, kinda a PITA. Any help appreciated. Thanks - Rob.

632 Regal
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
is your region real wet damp and or cold?

hint us!

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Ya know that funny little arm in the middle of the door on the hinge side.

Keep it lubed up, if it starts to bind, it will fatigue the door and blow out a chuck of door panel.

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 06:14 AM
is your region real wet damp and or cold?

hint us!

...northwest florida... humid in summer, humid in winter, low usually not less than a few nights in the 20s... else rather temperate... just the dang door will only latch if you shut it pretty hard and was hoping a clean/lube job may help things out instead of changing out the door latch... the spring or whatever just seems to not engage the latch when the door closes...

Bill R.
02-14-2006, 07:09 AM
stuck bolts/nuts/flanges etc... because it really really stinks and when you spray it on the door hinges/latches/brake the odor permeates the car for a long time. I made the mistake of using it on a couple of customers cars on the
hinges trying to free up binding hinges. I would suggest something that you can stand the smell of such as wd40 or the stp silicone spray lube which dries pretty much odorless. Then once you get the latch cleaned out with the spray you can wipe as much of it out as you can get and use a general purpose lithium or synthetic grease. I use a thin coating of mobil one synthetic grease that comes in a tub. Its red colored so its easy to spot when you've used it.

...northwest florida... humid in summer, humid in winter, low usually not less than a few nights in the 20s... else rather temperate... just the dang door will only latch if you shut it pretty hard and was hoping a clean/lube job may help things out instead of changing out the door latch... the spring or whatever just seems to not engage the latch when the door closes...

632 Regal
02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
that thing a pain to get out?

Ya know that funny little arm in the middle of the door on the hinge side.

Keep it lubed up, if it starts to bind, it will fatigue the door and blow out a chuck of door panel.

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
tonight, along with find the rattle which I think is rt. rear shock mount from the sachs install a few months ago.... Cheers, Rob.

RobPatt
02-14-2006, 11:48 AM
can be done just take time and patience.... no space, can't see, got to line up the door lock, door handle, plunger for the door lock, plug to the central locking...etc. if come to that may as well buy new rubber rood handle seals from flea bay. ?

that thing a pain to get out?

Qube
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
To lube the door hinge (going into the door), just spray inside semi-blind? Or is there a sanctioned way to do this? My doors are 'binding' a bit and the 'scraping' is unnerving :)

RobPatt
03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
i just did exactly as said, squirt heck out of it w/PB Blaster, worked it in... then coated w/white grease and everything's happy. but probably overkilled could have got by w/either 1 or other....

To lube the door hinge (going into the door), just spray inside semi-blind? Or is there a sanctioned way to do this? My doors are 'binding' a bit and the 'scraping' is unnerving :)

632 Regal
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I sprayed blind and it really made a difference, this will work until I get a chance to pull it out, clean and lube.