PDA

View Full Version : OT, Shopping question for you , Yvonne and i went out

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 05:29 PM
earlier today looking for some new eyeglasses for her at the malls..The ones she liked ended up costing about 600 bones... I did a little search on ebay when i got home and some of the optical places in hong kong sold the exact same brand, same lenses etc etc for about 200... Anybody had any experience with any of these Hong Kong optical places? Very high positive feedbacks , over 3000 with 99+ percent positives.

liquidtiger720
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't know which place you are referring too...

but my father use to by all this glasses whenever he made trips to HK.

No that that really helps.

632 Regal
02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Im useless too but I bought a camera from a hong comg dealer and I received it within a week, dont know how he did that. was very impressed.

Zeuk in Oz
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
earlier today looking for some new eyeglasses for her at the malls..The ones she liked ended up costing about 600 bones... I did a little search on ebay when i got home and some of the optical places in hong kong sold the exact same brand, same lenses etc etc for about 200... Anybody had any experience with any of these Hong Kong optical places? Very high positive feedbacks , over 3000 with 99+ percent positives.
Sounds to me like spare parts in Oz vs BMA.

Don't have any experience though as I have access to a tame optometrist here in Oz who gives me specs at the right price ! ;)

Jr ///M5
02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Considering the price of glasses ($600) a few hundred more would cover a Lasik (sp?) surgery. People that I've talked to that have had the Lasik surgery wish they had done it sooner. They are at the point where it's about $1100 around these parts for it, and they do about 15 procedures a day. It's a perfected science these days.

You could probably barter an inspection 2 on the Dr's BMW for Yvonne to have young eyes again.:D

Then again, the Hong Kong connection doesn't sound bad at all....is this a Valentines Day idea???? ;)

Jr

angrypancake
02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
My mom gets a new set of glasses every year, cause apparently her (our) insurance plan gives us a deductible for new ones or something. She just got some crazy looking ones that are normally about 600 bones but were like 200 or so. Don't know if that will help you though... If the Hong Kong dude is legit, then why not?

kyleN20
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
when i got to china we get precript glasses really cheap, made for you, brand might be knock off, but the fit good, and work good, and whatever else good.

winfred
02-12-2006, 08:49 PM
yea and when you order something a couple states away it takes over 2 weeks

Im useless too but I bought a camera from a hong comg dealer and I received it within a week, dont know how he did that. was very impressed.

DanH
02-12-2006, 11:08 PM
One thing I'll warn you about is that in many foreign countries they don't have the regulations on the lens material quality and you could end up with lenses that can break up dangerously and get glass or other shards in your eyes.

I had a friend from europe whose glasses broke apart with a soccer ball to the face during a friendly game, and the lenses shattered into sharp pieces.
Luckily he was not hurt too badly and didn't lose his eyesight, he must've closed his eyes in time.

I suspect she won't be playing soccer with them but an airbag, misplaced elbow or such could do the same thing, perhaps...

In the U.S. the lens material has regulations that should prevent that from happening, its should break kind of like a car windshield.

You usually get what you pay for...my eyesight is worth more than the a few hundred bucks difference.

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
rimless hingeless frames comes nowdays.. the point being that the rimless hingeless frames weigh less than 1/4 of an ounce so you use the thinnest lightest lense you can which is high index polycarbonate and polycarbonate is shatter proof, the toughest plastic you can get for eyeglasses.. I tried them years ago for shooting glasses because of the ads showing shotgun pellets embedded in the lenses but not penetrating or shattering... unfortunately i can't tolerate the chromatic aberrations or the off center loss of sharpness that i seem to notice with them. So i go with regular cr39 plastic or high index plastic for mine..

One thing I'll warn you about is that in many foreign countries they don't have the regulations on the lens material quality and you could end up with lenses that can break up dangerously and get glass or other shards in your eyes.

I had a friend from europe whose glasses broke apart with a soccer ball to the face during a friendly game, and the lenses shattered into sharp pieces.
Luckily he was not hurt too badly and didn't lose his eyesight, he must've closed his eyes in time.

I suspect she won't be playing soccer with them but an airbag, misplaced elbow or such could do the same thing, perhaps...

In the U.S. the lens material has regulations that should prevent that from happening, its should break kind of like a car windshield.

You usually get what you pay for...my eyesight is worth more than the a few hundred bucks difference.

DaCan23
02-13-2006, 09:57 AM
I bought my latest pair on www.framesdirect.com and saved about $50 over ForEyes... they were Versus frames and I got semi lightweight w/ UV, Scratch, etc

Jon K
02-13-2006, 10:34 AM
i too wear glasses/contacts, i opted for the cheaper lens in my night time glasses because i couldn't justify paying $150 for lenses i will wear at night... theyre the thickest damn things i've ever seen.