PDA

View Full Version : Help! asap :(

nuwde
02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Heard loud idle/rumbling noise when I started my car today. It's an automatic. At first, the transmission wouldn't shift into R or D. I changed it back to P and tried a few more times and same thing. I then restarted the car and tried D again, same thing. I hit the gas a bit and then it finally clunked into D with a slight jolt. When I started driving, I continued to hear the rumbling noise whenever it was in 1st and 2nd gear. Right when I hit 3rd it would go away instantly and sound normal. The rumbling still occurs in P and N and when I shift to R, the rumbling noise is also there until it is finally shifted. Driving seems normal right now. Just loud awkward rumbling noise under the hood.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Is it transmission failure? Low transmission fluid? Any ideas?

I am in the middle of a long road trip (DC to LA). Thank you!

edwin

nuwde
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
bump for some knowledge..

anyone?

Alexlind123
02-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Is the rumbling at idle? Is it intermittant? Where does it seem to be coming from?

Check the fluid level with the engine running and the transmission in park, if you have a dipstick.

nuwde
02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Rumbling is quite consistent while in the mentioned gears (P, N, 1st/2nd gears of D).

How do I check the transmission level with or without distick?

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
not be too warmed up when checking and since it really needs to be level you almost have to find a garage with a lift to raise it up and check it http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/translevel-1.jpg
If you have a dipstick then you check it like so

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Transfluidlevel.jpg

Rumbling is quite consistent while in the mentioned gears (P, N, 1st/2nd gears of D).

How do I check the transmission level with or without distick?

nuwde
02-12-2006, 08:26 PM
What transmission oil do you all recommend? Which cars have the dipstick or would I have had to have bought one? Thanks for the help

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 09:41 PM
. You'll probably have to get it on a lift somewhere and levle to check it with the plugs as pictured. Yours should take conventional dexronIII

What transmission oil do you all recommend? Which cars have the dipstick or would I have had to have bought one? Thanks for the help

nuwde
02-12-2006, 10:44 PM
. You'll probably have to get it on a lift somewhere and levle to check it with the plugs as pictured. Yours should take conventional dexronIII

thanks bill. hopefully i can get it on a lift tomorrow morning.

btw, what are the possibilities that this problem is more than just adding transmission oil? just don't want to be caught off guard tomorrow.

632 Regal
02-12-2006, 10:51 PM
your mounts could be worn or wasted letting the engine trans "tilt" causing a low fluid syndrome?

btw, what are the possibilities that this problem is more than just adding transmission oil? just don't want to be caught off guard tomorrow.

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 10:55 PM
than anything more involved....

liquidtiger720
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Can one mix brands of dex III?

I have no clue what the shop used when the rebuilt mine.

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 11:18 PM
. No worse than mixing brands of oil. I don't make a habit of it but it shouldn't harm anything.

Can one mix brands of dex III?

I have no clue what the shop used when the rebuilt mine.

nuwde
02-12-2006, 11:34 PM
thanks for the comments everyone. will stop by shop tomorrow.

Akhil
02-13-2006, 10:12 AM
I am thinking to replace my tranny filter this weekend and I know I can used Dexron III to fill in. But I was think since we don't do this job very often, I am willing to spend more money to fill it with some thing better for the sake to tranny life. Is there any thing else available kind of Synthetic equivalent of Dexron III? If it is, Is that safe to put in as add-on fluid after filter change, since it not going to drain all the fluid?

Any idea/experience will be appreciated.

Thanks
Akhil