PDA

View Full Version : A possible relationship?

mzarifkar
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
two problems have surfaced at around the same time, i think there may be a possible relationship.

I have no heat, depending on how cold it is outside, generally that is the temperature coming trough the vents, with an occasion random squirt of warm air.

I noticed coolant (it tasted like coolant..) dripping in the front of the car, when i parked it for a second and came back (the engine was not up to temp yet when parked) Then last night, the car was ideling for maybe 5-6minutes, unatteneded, when i got back in, Check engine light was on, "coolant Temp" error message, and temp gauge was in the red. i parked the car 30sec later, and being that it was 2am, and 18degrees F outside i went to bed.

The car had been running at highway speeds for about 30 minutes, with temp gauge at normal 12 o clock position.

HEres what i was thinking for possible problems:
Low coolant level, causing air into the heater core, no warm air that way
possibly in conjunction with fan thermostat not working.

Jay 535i
02-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I think you're on the right track. If your coolant level is low or if coolant is not flowing you'd have no heat.

It's scary that the needle was in the red after being left unattended. How long was it in the red for? No way to know for sure. More than a few seconds can be very bad for car and wallet.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Akhil
02-12-2006, 02:59 PM
most likely you water pump gave up if it is still original water pump with plastic impaller. I had that problem when I ran engine over 4000RPM first time. Now I have water pump with matel impaller.

Akhil

stu1
02-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Have you actually checked the coolant level? Sounds like you have a leak.

rob101
02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
It tasted like coolant? Coolant is very poisonous, I hope you serously don't know what coolant tastes like

Phatty5BMW
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I dunno what it tastes like either but maybe tastes like it smells???

mzarifkar
02-13-2006, 07:55 AM
it does taste like the way it smells, now i didnt go under neath it with open mouth to cath a drip, i felt the ground, it felpt like it could be coolant,i couldnt smell anything, definatly tasted the way one would imagine coolant to tast like, but oddly enough i cant describe it.

mholbrook
02-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Coolant tastes sort of sweet depending on what "brand". If I taste it, I spit it out personally. It is poisonous but you have to have more than a couple molecules to do any harm.

Tyenol is poison too if taken in more than correct dosage. Take too much and say goodby to your liver.

You don't say what engine you have but I would do a complete inspection of the cooling system. Change the thermost and maybe the housing if it is the plastic kind, check/change any old hoses, flush the system, refil, burp it and then watch carefully after it gets to operating temperature.

genphreak
02-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Never leave containers of it around if you have dogs- they will drink it and they may die afterwards... or at least be very, very ill.

Alexlind123
02-13-2006, 08:47 AM
One teaspoon is enough to kill most dogs. The molecular structure suggests that it tastes very sweet.

Jon K
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
most manufacturers add a bittering agent so that it tastes bad. i was topping my coolant off and got blasted in the face and tasted it, it was bitter as all hell. nothing could have convinced me that i should taste more of it.

mzarifkar
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Coolant tastes sort of sweet depending on what "brand". If I taste it, I spit it out personally. It is poisonous but you have to have more than a couple molecules to do any harm.

Tyenol is poison too if taken in more than correct dosage. Take too much and say goodby to your liver.

You don't say what engine you have but I would do a complete inspection of the cooling system. Change the thermost and maybe the housing if it is the plastic kind, check/change any old hoses, flush the system, refil, burp it and then watch carefully after it gets to operating temperature.

I have a M50tu, i checked the level today (or lack thereoff i should say) and it is extremely low, to the point where i cant see it. and there was a dried up puddle underneath the car, this must have happened overnight because i didnt notice it that big the day before.

tommarow i will try to get a garage and try to find out where this leak is from.

If i want to drive it for a mile to a garage, should i add water to keep it from sucking air? and then add coolant later? how drivable is it (for < 1 mile)?

DanH
02-13-2006, 01:14 PM
It'll take 100cc(3.3oz) of pure ethylene glycol to kill you according to the toxicity guidelines in the MSDS for antifreeze:
http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/ehlchevmsdsv9.nsf/a37a566cb6e34c88882569cf0002e997/9de096333d12be12882569b500129674?OpenDocument

So, you'd have to taste about 7oz+\- of 50/50 mixed, depending on your weight.

Probably need much more than a teaspoon for any medium to large size dog.

Lethal dose is 5.3 g per kg of the dogs weight, according to studies.*

*More info (http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/936.htm) on treatment of EG poisioning in your dog.

One teaspoon is enough to kill most dogs. The molecular structure suggests that it tastes very sweet.

DanH
02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Depends on the air temperature there, if its extremely cold you can't just add water or your radiator might freeze solid. Otherwise you should be able to drive less than a mile no problem.

Just keep the coolant level topped off and make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge. Stop and let it cool off on the way if there is any sign of it getting near 3/4 on the gauge. External leaks are generally easier and cheaper to fix, so finding coolant on the ground is better than a mystery leak.

I have a M50tu, i checked the level today (or lack thereoff i should say) and it is extremely low, to the point where i cant see it. and there was a dried up puddle underneath the car, this must have happened overnight because i didnt notice it that big the day before.

tommarow i will try to get a garage and try to find out where this leak is from.

If i want to drive it for a mile to a garage, should i add water to keep it from sucking air? and then add coolant later? how drivable is it (for < 1 mile)?

mzarifkar
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
so i added water/coolant mixture, about a quart, then ran the engine, it seems like the pump is not pulling it and needs to be primed or something becasue all the hoses feel cool, even though engine was up to temp

what exactly is this burping thing mentioned?

les741
02-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Here's someone who might be able to help with the taste debate -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/11/nfreeze11.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/11/ixhome.html