PDA

View Full Version : OT, kinda. A pic of a dodge truck i worked on that has the

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 10:22 AM
g05 coolant in it... don't know if this reaction was caused by someone mixing other coolants or not but it was eaten up and leaking at many points including the water pump , intake manifold, a couple of freeze plugs etc...After replacing all these items and resealing i flushed it a couple of times and put the new prestone green long life thats supposed to mix with anything in it.http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/dodgetruck.jpg

winfred
02-12-2006, 10:37 AM
yummy, i am sure the head gaskets won't be far behind

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
lady who can't afford anything more.. as it was i lost quite a bit on the job since i was sure she couldn't afford to pay what i would have normally charged. It has around 90k on it and she doesn't drive much so maybe the head gaskets will hold out long enough..

yummy, i am sure the head gaskets won't be far behind

Martin in Bellevue
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I wonder about the heater core & hoses too.
How do you approach the customer who let this happen? Does it come up at all?

ryan roopnarine
02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
i take it, bill, that you don't care for the g05. a while back, IIRC you saying that there was a proposed/actual class action lawsuit about g05 causing damage. i was unable to find anything on the internet about it, nor people on the internet complaining about damage in such a manner. do you have a link(s) or even a source about this that i could search through? thanks.

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
cap pops off at and it held, i was waiting to see a leak at the heater core coming out the condensate drain.... actually i was waiting to see that freeze plug thats behind the flywheel starting leaking out where the trans joins the engine but so far so good... When its a little old lady like this theres not a whole lot you can tell them. Every maintenance has been done at the various lube places so the only thing you can say is not to let them add anything to the cooling system in the future...

I wonder about the heater core & hoses too.
How do you approach the customer who let this happen? Does it come up at all?

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 10:55 AM
of cars and haven't had problems with it. The class action suit posts that i've seen don't specifically name g05, they just state chrysler/dodge mercedes gold coolant.. I don't think that it plays well with others though. I've also used a lot of the prestone extended life and seem to see a large number of leaks with it later, but on the other hand i've now been using a lot of the new prestone green extended life thats supposed to mix with everything and haven't seen any leaks or problems with it yet. But i still don't put these in my bmw. After seeing numerous wierd reactions to the various coolants these days i think if i was going to run anything but the bmw blue it would probably be the prestone green long life and just change it more often than they specify. That is if i didn't want to pay for the bmw blue or the toyota red long life which i also like... speaking of which did i ever tell you about my toyota previa:) pushing 250k miles now , original hoses,original radiator, original water pump, original thermostat, just gets toyota red coolant every couple of years...

i take it, bill, that you don't care for the g05. a while back, IIRC you saying that there was a proposed/actual class action lawsuit about g05 causing damage. i was unable to find anything on the internet about it, nor people on the internet complaining about damage in such a manner. do you have a link(s) or even a source about this that i could search through? thanks.