PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein are truely lifetime guaranteed?

Unregistered
03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Are Bilstein shocks truely guaranteed? I think rear shock is shot because there is a rattling[like a sound coming from a thin can or a chinese ball] coming from the shock area when I drive. And when you push down on it a little it kind of bounce back. I have Bilstein[sport] with a Sacks spring set up on a 535IM. It is not easy to push down on the set up but this rear shock [ the one I think is broken or shot] kind of bounce back up when you push down on it instead of staying down like the others. I don't have the reciept for these shocks because I purchased them 2yrs. ago and I just put them on in August of last year. Does Bilstein need the reciept? Please advise me on this issue.

DaveR 91 535ia, 71 02
03-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Yes, they are warranted for life, but they don't last forever. You will need a receipt. They send you a new one and then credit you after receiving your bad shock with the receipt. They also test and verify that the shock is bad. Try to contact the seller of the shock or the shop who may have performed the installation and see if they can give you a copy of the receipt.

WarrenBrown
03-15-2004, 10:49 PM
I think its possible without a receipt. My 73 2002Tii struts went after about 160K, they covered them. I had some 525i rear shocks go after about a year.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

Unregistered
03-16-2004, 01:48 PM
from the time you send them the old shock and the time you recieve the new shock is approx. how long? I am just trying to plan my schedule of seeing how long I am going to be without the car.

632 Regal
03-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Buy a new one from BMA, tell them your situation, they send and bill you for the new shock. Then you send them your old shock and they take care of the warranty and either credit you or send you a new one.

Call them and see what they say.

Ken from Guam
03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
just ordered a set from BMA (rear sport) how long should i expect these shocks to last? dont mind the pix just testing out my new digicam !

Ken from Guam

Ken from Guam
03-16-2004, 09:30 PM
how do i make my pics smaller ? says that my file is too large :-(

WarrenBrown
03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
If I remember correctly, they sent me 2 for the list price of one, I removed the old and installed the new. Shipped the old back and they credited my Visa Card. The car was down for as long as it takes to R&I. I felt I had a good case, the 525i rear shocks were completely gone, no resistance in either direction. The 2002tii strut had significant play at the top bearing where the shock rod enters the strut housing. They covered both no problems.

Warren Brown
91 318is
95 525iT