PDA

View Full Version : compressor and core

garretb
02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
At the end of the summer, when my car wasn't cooling off, I brought it in to get the freon topped off and the problem diagnosed and was told that the compressor was pretty much shot. I was quoted around $1800 to get it and whatever else goes with that replaced. I haven't done it because, as mentioned, it was the end of summer and the topping off of the freon was working well enough to get me through the rest of it. After that, I brought it in for something else (oil change I think) and the mechanic told me that the slight smell that is noticable when starting up the car is coolant, which means that the heater core is going out. I wasn't given a quote for that job. But as I see it, both of those are behind the dash, right? So if I were to have them do both, it should be cheaper than each separately since both require some of the same labor to be done. Anyone know of what would be a reasonable price for this work?

Thanks,
Garret

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 11:38 AM
The ac compressor is under the dash in that car?

I always thought they were belt driven.

garretb
02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
It was my understanding that it is under the dash, from things that I'd read in the past. I could certainly be wrong about that, though.

The ac compressor is under the dash in that car?

I always thought they were belt driven.

Rigmaster
02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Main AC components:

Compressor- belt driven "pump" that pressurizes the "freon" and pumps it through the AC lines and other AC components- located under the hood, bolted to the side of the engine block.

Condensor- radiator looking thing that mounts in front of the Radiator. Dissipates the heat from the AC system.

Evaporator core- radiator looking thing that mounts under the dash- in the HVAC box- this is where the "cold" air comes from (air blows over the Evaporator core and cools it off, then it blows into the passenger compartment).

Now, your evaporator core might be bad- in that case, they need to tear into the HVAC area under the dash to get to it, and if the HEATER core is leaking or questionable, that would be the time to have it replaced since most of the labor to replace the heater core is getting all the other stuff out so you can get in there and replace it.

HTH. I can provide a smart-ass answer too if needed- but it looks like you already got one of those..... ;)

Bret.